West Ham Vs Leeds Utd Premier League Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Brookbonds73

Re: West Ham Vs Leeds Utd Premier League Official Match Thread

Post by Brookbonds73 »

h69 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:30 am

Problem is mate most of these cunts would struggle to tell you what day of the week it is. When I had my ST there was a bloke who had one within earshot who gave some really unpleasant, personal abuse to players when they were having a bad day. But next game if they were having a decent game the same player was god's gift and the England manager was an ignorant cunt for not picking him. The bloke was a warehouse worker for a supermarket and I often wondered if, when he was having a bad day on his forklift, how he would react if a crowd of blokes were standing behind him shouting stuff like Oi you dopy cunt those fucking Rice Krispies don't go there---fuck orfff ;)
Its true. You see dozens of people below 40 with flat caps on because they have watched Peaky Blinders and think it gives them some kind of gangster look.

To be honest, many fans, especially these days are often bipolar. Win a game and the manager is a genius, tactics were brilliant, players are superb etc. Lost one and the players are tired, the tactics are wrong, the manager knows nothing and the players need replacing.
It is a symptom of the way football is in general, the way the Premier League nowadays is set up where everyone demands instant results, Media, clubs, owners and that filters down to the fans but starts with the media. I guarantee that John Lyall and maybe even Ron Greenwood would never have been given a chance in todays game as it is a win immediately mentality nowadays.

Never better exemplified than when we played Brighton and drew 1-1 and followed it up 2 and a half days later with a 3-2 win v Chelsea.
Very true.
As soon as big money comes in to sports, attitudes change. Look at other working men's sports of yesteryear. Boxing, darts, snooker, it's like a circus.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Flat caps are a fashion trend these days haven’t got a problem with them tbh
Would like to see them being waved about and thrown in the air when we score like armistice day 1918
Wonderful.

Bobble hats and baseball caps not my thing
Back to front baseball caps make you a fucking wrong un
Imo.
The Rubbettes type hats in the 70s looked rather gay.

Waiting for the trilby to return.

Post by 9898 »

Problem is mate most of these cunts would struggle to tell you what day of the week it is. When I had my ST there was a bloke who had one within earshot who gave some really unpleasant, personal abuse to players when they were having a bad day. But next game if they were having a decent game the same player was god's gift and the England manager was an ignorant cunt for not picking him. The bloke was a warehouse worker for a supermarket and I often wondered if, when he was having a bad day on his forklift, how he would react if a crowd of blokes were standing behind him shouting stuff like Oi you dopy cunt those fucking Rice Krispies don't go there---fuck orfff ;)
Its true. You see dozens of people below 40 with flat caps on because they have watched Peaky Blinders and think it gives them some kind of gangster look.

To be honest, many fans, especially these days are often bipolar. Win a game and the manager is a genius, tactics were brilliant, players are superb etc. Lost one and the players are tired, the tactics are wrong, the manager knows nothing and the players need replacing.
Agreed.
Not many consistent posters like me.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

h69

Post by h69 »

9898 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:40 pm

Agreed.
Not many consistent posters like me.
:lol: :lol: I have to say you are certainly consistent

h69

Post by h69 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 pm Flat caps are a fashion trend these days haven’t got a problem with them tbh
Would like to see them being waved about and thrown in the air when we score like armistice day 1918
Wonderful.
Would be but unfortunately Thomas Shelby didnt do that so I wouldn't hold your breath.

h69

Post by h69 »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:28 pm

It is a symptom of the way football is in general, the way the Premier League nowadays is set up where everyone demands instant results, Media, clubs, owners and that filters down to the fans but starts with the media. I guarantee that John Lyall and maybe even Ron Greenwood would never have been given a chance in todays game as it is a win immediately mentality nowadays.

Never better exemplified than when we played Brighton and drew 1-1 and followed it up 2 and a half days later with a 3-2 win v Chelsea.
Very true.
As soon as big money comes in to sports, attitudes change. Look at other working men's sports of yesteryear. Boxing, darts, snooker, it's like a circus.

I love West Ham and watching us play but I absolutely abhor the Premier League and everything it stands for.

And before Whisky starts talking about it being a great business model, I know that and I understand why it exists but I dont care about the PL business model and how successful it is and I preferred football in the 80s when I started going. It was a sport then whereas now it is an entertainment product designed for customers in the US and Asia and designed primarily as a money making scheme. It is far from being a sport.

I dont watch much snooker or boxing so cannot comment but I notice the darts going through a similar change.

When I was younger and at Uni, as well as watching West Ham, I used to watch Oxford Utd at the Manor ground occasionally. It was a shithole of a ground, quite a long walk into the town but I enjoyed the football. Sadly that ground no longer exists. I still remember a great Tony Cottee overhead kick there when we were the visitors.
Then when I started working I started going to watch Enfield Town occasionally but that went tits up. Now I have watched a few Wealdstone games since I live further West. I enjoy it.

The Premier League is a great TV product but all the media interest, the transfer window show on sky etc are just media tools and while it is a great business product it is joyless for fans in this country and as they have showed and still are when they fuck about with KO times and call off games, they dont really need us while they have a huge foreign audience.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Valid points. However it's not a new thing. I started going regularly as a kid in the early 70s, the latter years of the Greenwood era, and regularly heard abuse directed at him from the terraces. I was also present at Anfield when we lost 5-1 in what proved to be Lyall's last game as manager. Some of the abuse directed at him that day, surprisingly from our away fans who had a reputation for being more supportive than many others, was particularly unpleasant. I can't believe many of us who travelled to Liverpool that day were expecting us to get the win we needed to ensure survival yet from before we'd even kicked off there were little pockets of abuse which got progressively worse as the game progressed.

I know many blame the formation of the PL for many of what are perceived as shifts in fan expectations but the unpleasantness and vitriol given to Lyall that day was as bad as anything I've heard directed, for example, by many at our current owners.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 pm Flat caps are a fashion trend these days haven’t got a problem with them tbh
Wonderful.
I do hope you're not getting all dewy eyed and yearning for a return of wooden rattles, woolen scarfs knitted by your nan, and those bloody big rosettes you always seen on some toothless oik when monochrome film of past cup finals appear on our tv screens. ;)

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm

Valid points. However it's not a new thing. I started going regularly as a kid in the early 70s, the latter years of the Greenwood era, and regularly heard abuse directed at him from the terraces. I was also present at Anfield when we lost 5-1 in what proved to be Lyall's last game as manager. Some of the abuse directed at him that day, surprisingly from our away fans who had a reputation for being more supportive than many others, was particularly unpleasant. I can't believe many of us who travelled to Liverpool that day were expecting us to get the win we needed to ensure survival yet from before we'd even kicked off there were little pockets of abuse which got progressively worse as the game progressed.

I know many blame the formation of the PL for many of what are perceived as shifts in fan expectations but the unpleasantness and vitriol given to Lyall that day was as bad as anything I've heard directed, for example, by many at our current owners.
I was at that game v Liverpool and I agree that it was bad that day but in the main it was generally nowhere near as bad and in general, the fans had a much better sense of humour in those days and were far more forgiving to players like Mike Small, Eamonn Dolan, Leroy etc etc and the advent of social media and the way the Premier League microanalyses stuff and the amount of money people are paying nowadays have made the abuse a lot worse since it seems that fans think that the more money they spend, the better the players are going to be and that is not the case at all.

Sometimes I think that the worst thing that happened was the club being successful last season and the way the media constantly bang on about the race for the top 4 as now the expectation is silly. Every time we play there is a reference to the Top 4 in the first line of the post match review. That is what drives the intellectually challenged into a frenzy.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:42 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm

I was at that game v Liverpool and I agree that it was bad that day but in the main it was generally nowhere near as bad and in general, the fans had a much better sense of humour in those days and were far more forgiving to players like Mike Small, Eamonn Dolan, Leroy etc etc and the advent of social media and the way the Premier League microanalyses stuff and the amount of money people are paying nowadays have made the abuse a lot worse since it seems that fans think that the more money they spend, the better the players are going to be and that is not the case at all.
I will agree the PL is far from being perfect, however I believe there are many other factors which, over the years has changed the demographic of the football watching (attending) public.

Cost is probably the main one. Back in the days of terracing it was as cheap as chips to get into a game. I doubt many 14 year olds today can afford to go to home matches regularly, never mind away games. Also I know a lot of the people I started going with stopped going, because of the knuckle dragging element that attached itself to football in those days. And most of those didn't get back into the habit once the problem stopped being as bad as it was in the 70s and 80s. My own parents in fact weren't keen on me going because of the issues which we all know about and I suspect many other parents went one stage further and stopped their kids attending games. I know the Hillsborough thing was the ultimate catalyst for all seater stadia but the Thatcher government's antipathy towards football had it's roots, understandably imo, in the so called "English disease". You will be aware that back in those days if you admitted to being a football fan you were regarded by many as being some sort of social outcast.

But society has changed now and in the eyes of some, no doubt influenced in part by films like "The Football Factory" and "The Rise of The Foot Soldier" the neanderthal knuckle draggers of the 70s and 80s have become iconic figures.