West Ham Vs Leeds Utd Premier League Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
tassiehammer

Re: West Ham Vs Leeds Utd Premier League Official Match Thread

Post by tassiehammer »

Which reminds me. All this talk about internet abuse etc, when my younger brother was in a drinks advertising campaign while playing for Dagenham & Redbrige he got death threats from Man U fans. But life wasn't wokey back then. He just laughed it off :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:02 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:27 pm
As a sporting contest,it's the same as it ever was. While incorporating latest science, real world disciplines into the relentless drive for perfections and different emphasis of methodologies and tactical philosophies.

And it's the blending of these attributes and styles that makes footbaLL matches eternally interesting. Paradoxically the reason it survives and engenders such passion, is because the wealth of the participants is so skewed. Styles make fights and even David verses Goliath still retains great interest.
Between 1970-89.there were 16 winners of the League and FA Cup,while between 2000-2021(extra year too),there were only 8.
Your factually right, however the actual nature of all sporting contest exists inside a dominance hierarchy. The only difference between the two periods (quoted) is that the hierachy under discussion has become more refined. And you see that everywhere.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 am

Between 1970-89.there were 16 winners of the League and FA Cup,while between 2000-2021(extra year too),there were only 8.
Your factually right, however the actual nature of all sporting contest exists inside a dominance hierarchy. The only difference between the two periods (quoted) is that the hierachy under discussion has become more refined. And you see that everywhere.
Probably the best way to look at it BD is,Do you feel more optimistic about lifting a trophy back in the 70's and 80's or nowadays?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

tassiehammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am Which reminds me. All this talk about internet abuse etc, when my younger brother was in a drinks advertising campaign while playing for Dagenham & Redbrige he got death threats from Man U fans. But life wasn't wokey back then. He just laughed it off :D
I am curious. Why would a Dagenham & Redbridge footballer get death threats from anybody, Manchester United fan or otherwise, for participating in a drinks campaign ?

Just asking you understand. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 am

It means that the gap between the teams at the top is so large that it is now almost impossible to win a trophy.

In the 80s, almost every team in the top division (and occasionally in the second tier) could win it, nowadays, almost every team in the top 6 can win it and occasionally someone from outside there might get to a final.

There is little sport left for the rest.

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am
tassiehammer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am Which reminds me. All this talk about internet abuse etc, when my younger brother was in a drinks advertising campaign while playing for Dagenham & Redbrige he got death threats from Man U fans. But life wasn't wokey back then. He just laughed it off :D
I am curious. Why would a Dagenham & Redbridge footballer get death threats from anybody, Manchester United fan or otherwise, for participating in a drinks campaign ?

+1 and how did these death threats manifest themselves, did they know his address and write to him or take out a newspaper article ?

Was the drink 'Scouse Juice' or something ?

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Just asking you understand.

Part of the advertising campaign for Red Card was posters featuring him in his Chelmsford kit, not dagenham sorry, with what they thought were witty comments. Some got put up on bus shelters in Manchester saying something like " If Fergie got his team to play in my back yard I'd pull the curtains" . He got several letters sent to the club threatening him and a couple had razor blades fixed hoping to slice his, or whoever opened them, fingers. Old Bill got involved. Google red card sports drink.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

h69 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am

+1 and how did these death threats manifest themselves, did they know his address and write to him or take out a newspaper article ?

Letters were sent to the club. Chelmsford not Dagenham sorry. It was one of the first sport drinks called red card. Some of the hate mail contained razor blades. Can9do that with an email these days. :)

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

tassiehammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:10 pm
h69 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am

Letters were sent to the club. Chelmsford not Dagenham sorry. It was one of the first sport drinks called red card. Some of the hate mail contained razor blades. Can9do that with an email these days. :)
No ...but you can get a nasty virus though

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

tassiehammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:06 pm

Just asking you understand.

Part of the advertising campaign for Red Card was posters featuring him in his Chelmsford kit, not dagenham sorry, with what they thought were witty comments. Some got put up on bus shelters in Manchester saying something like " If Fergie got his team to play in my back yard I'd pull the curtains" . He got several letters sent to the club threatening him and a couple had razor blades fixed hoping to slice his, or whoever opened them, fingers. Old Bill got involved. Google red card sports drink.
Fucking hell. It's quite scary to think that low life crap like that is allowed to wander among the rest of us quite openly. It's a game of football ffs, not life and death.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?