Claret & Hugh Watch

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Claret & Hugh Watch

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:03 am
JayK wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:55 am

Oh I can call him worse. Was just curious if Hugh southon was right calling him minority shareholder? It’s a word thing. Majority is most, minority is least
Whetstone’s play on words Jay , to try and play down the role the little cunt played in all this .

They may have been trying to throw Moyes and Newman under the bus but he really ain’t far wrong .
Yeah that was the only thing I could really pick up on tbh. Wasn’t Moyes putting in the bids to Leeds and Benfica though, I’m sure of that
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:51 am

I'm sure he's been called worse mate. ;)
Oh I can call him worse. Was just curious if Hugh southon was right calling him minority shareholder? It’s a word thing. Majority is most, minority is least
Mate I wouldn't trust Hugh Southon to be right before I checked if he told me tomorrow is Wednesday. For a so called professional journalist his grasp of the fundamentals is pretty tenuous, to say the least. But it's an example of how words can be used to spin a particular tale, is it not ?

As far as West Ham shareholding is concerned he ia a shareholder who could, if the others wanted, be outvoted on issues. Hence "minority". But I think the chances of such a disagreement in the boardroom is unlikely tbh so his position is hardly weakened.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:03 am

Mate I wouldn't trust Hugh Southon to be right before I checked if he told me tomorrow is Wednesday. For a so called professional journalist his grasp of the fundamentals is pretty tenuous, to say the least. But it's an example of how words can be used to spin a particular tale, is it not ?

As far as West Ham shareholding is concerned he ia a shareholder who could, if the others wanted, be outvoted on issues. Hence "minority". But I think the chances of such a disagreement in the boardroom is unlikely tbh so his position is hardly weakened.
Yep, my thoughts too 👍🏽
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

I'm not sure C&H intends it's content to be viewed as journalism (factual reporting). It's more opinion pieces written from the writers/contributors personal viewpoints. These biases are not disguised and therefore they're not intentionaly disingenious in their integrity.

Where I have an issue is where the content is not accurately fact checked.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 am

I'm not sure C&H intends it's content to be viewed as journalism (factual reporting). It's more opinion pieces written from the writers/contributors personal viewpoints. These biases are not disguised and therefore they're not intentionaly disingenious in their integrity.

I am confused. If they don't expect it to be viewed as factual reporting why would they be concerned about having what they write fact checked ? Maybe they're following the clickbait model. Start a rumour and see if it grows legs.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:37 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 am

I am confused. If they don't expect it to be viewed as factual reporting why would they be concerned about having what they write fact checked ? Maybe they're following the clickbait model. Start a rumour and see if it grows legs.
I entirely agree, it's entirely view driven but that success/failure, depends on where you position your content. Do you want to be a one-stop-shop for West Ham news or do you want to be a collection of opinion driven articles, pivoting on the latest popular trends.

I think they attempt to cover both. And I would assess the first is not accurate enough to be reliable and the second is not deep enough to be rewarding.
Obviously that's a subjective view and I might allow that I'm too shallow and dense to appreciate it's core values. Like a dog listening to Mozart...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:37 am

I entirely agree, it's entirely view driven but that success/failure, depends on where you position your content. Do you want to be a one-stop-shop for West Ham news or do you want to be a collection of opinion driven articles, pivoting on the latest popular trends.

I think they attempt to cover both. And I would assess the first is not accurate enough to be reliable and the second is not deep enough to be rewarding.
Obviously that's a subjective view and I might allow that I'm too shallow and dense to appreciate it's core values. Like a dog listening to Mozart...
Don't think they want it to be a forum where people can express their own views. Don't know if it's true or not, maybe some folk on here might know, but I have heard the "comments" section which goes with each piece written has been blocked for some people who have not, shall we say, toed the party line.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:16 pm

Don't think they want it to be a forum where people can express their own views. Don't know if it's true or not, maybe some folk on here might know, but I have heard the "comments" section which goes with each piece written has been blocked for some people who have not, shall we say, toed the party line.
Heard the same, grovelling and arse licking them and the west ham top brass is guaranteed to give you permanent membership.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Is that not the case with most Youtube channels. Comments that are brand negative or uncomfortable, are removed. So the casual viewer reads the conversation that is most acceptable to the owner. And the uncritical casual viewer beams it all up...everytime.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:01 pm

Is that not the case with most Youtube channels. Comments that are brand negative or uncomfortable, are removed. So the casual viewer reads the conversation that is most acceptable to the owner. And the uncritical casual viewer beams it all up...everytime.
I'm sure you're right about the clickbaiters,. I don't watch their stuff regularly so can't really comment on whether or not they have agendas. They're in it to make a few grand for themselves, I get that, and fair play to them. I'm all for initiative. And to do that they have to attract the "clicks" so I guess their content is geared to getting the fish to take the bait,

But they also need to realise sometimes it's beneficial to stir the pot. Talk Sport, for example, is an excellent example of a business model designed to monetise listener involvement. And often that agenda is best served by throwing the Mr Angrys a bone to chew on. Or phone in on a premium rate number to have their ten minutes of fame. Or in the case of the vast majority of the intellectually challenged fuckwits two minutes of infamy.