Race for 4th in Prem

Chat about anything football related here!

Who Do You Fear the most and why?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:10 pm

Arsenal
81%
Tottenham
6%
Man United
6%
Wolves
6%
Brighton
No votes
Leicester
No votes
Crystal Palace
No votes
Southampton
No votes
Aston Villa
No votes
Brentford
No votes

Total votes: 16

Newmarket

Re: Race for 4th in Prem

Post by Newmarket »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:14 am Don't get all the will we or won't we finish 4th malarky. Ok, the table says we're currently 4th but realistically, if you take in to account the number of games in hand teams behind us have then we're sitting about net 7th or 8th - which without any January reinforcements is probably the best we can hope for.

My bet is injuries will cripple us 2 mins after the window slams shut and we'll end up finishing this season 11th after our European adventure ends after the 1st knockout round and the FA cup goes west the round after Kidderminster.
Bill , I’ve been the prophecy of doom all season waiting for it all to go tits up but , up to now , and even with Dithering Dave at the helm it’s only been hiccups rather than downright free fall so you never know your luck .

I’m sure we’ll hang on in there till the death .

I’d just feel a bit happier if said DD was a bit more proactive that’s all .

It’s a squad game and we still don’t have one .
We have a team , on it’s day , but not a squad .

Likes a small squad.
Happy with what he has .
Players have to improve the first team.
Right players not available.
Fixture congestion ( one game) .

Do me a favour .

International break incoming too.
Bring back Jonathon !

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

This week is D Day(week :D ).

We need to try and get a couple in,otherwise it could all go tits up.You can't rely on the same XI,week in,week out,especially when we are involved in 3 competitions.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:26 am
BillyDWhizz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:14 am Don't get all the will we or won't we finish 4th malarky. Ok, the table says we're currently 4th but realistically, if you take in to account the number of games in hand teams behind us have then we're sitting about net 7th or 8th - which without any January reinforcements is probably the best we can hope for.

My bet is injuries will cripple us 2 mins after the window slams shut and we'll end up finishing this season 11th after our European adventure ends after the 1st knockout round and the FA cup goes west the round after Kidderminster.
Bill , I’ve been the prophecy of doom all season waiting for it all to go tits up but , up to now , and even with Dithering Dave at the helm it’s only been hiccups rather than downright free fall so you never know your luck .

Likes a small squad.
Happy with what he has .

Do me a favour .

About right I would say , though where we finish is anyone's guess , lets hope it all goes well and it's 4th and not 12th .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am
Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:26 am

Likes a small squad.
Happy with what he has .

Do me a favour .

About right I would say , though where we finish is anyone's guess , lets hope it all goes well and it's 4th and not 12th .
I would say looking at the overall quality in the team and back ups 7th is where we should finish. We are weaker than the so called Big 6 but as good as or better than the rest. At least that is my take on it.

Do I want us to qualify for the Champions League ? Do I bollocks. I would rather see us in the Europa League, a competition where we have a chance of competing. than strolling out at the Allianz or Bernabeu for an inevitable tonking.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

The only team that can stop us finishing 4th is ourselves. Play well enough and we will. If we dont we won't. Getting the kind of quality to make a difference to that is very difficult in January and so I am glad we have not just gone and got anyone for the sake of squad size.

Personally I am glad we are aiming for the CL but would rather we had another year in the EL first. Build slowly and the success will last longer.

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

h69 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm The only team that can stop us finishing 4th is ourselves. Play well enough and we will. If we dont we won't. Getting the kind of quality to make a difference to that is very difficult in January and so I am glad we have not just gone and got anyone for the sake of squad size.

Personally I am glad we are aiming for the CL but would rather we had another year in the EL first. Build slowly and the success will last longer.
Whilst I agree with the build slowly sentiment, the problem is if we dither, we'll be seen as not being ambitious and our better players will start to bugger off and the double whammy is that better or more exciting prospects will not join us.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

h69 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm The only team that can stop us finishing 4th is ourselves. Play well enough and we will. If we dont we won't. Getting the kind of quality to make a difference to that is very difficult in January and so I am glad we have not just gone and got anyone for the sake of squad size.

Build to slowly and that striker Moyes wanted will not just be unavailable , but to old ;) .

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Boulder dash we all know now we aren't the only team that can stop us finishing 4th, but we can certainly contribute.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

h69

Post by h69 »

dorsetdano wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 pm

Whilst I agree with the build slowly sentiment, the problem is if we dither, we'll be seen as not being ambitious and our better players will start to bugger off and the double whammy is that better or more exciting prospects will not join us.
Perhaps, but I dont think it is dithering just like I didnt think Liverpool were dithering when they waited a year to buy Van Dyke and wrote off a whole season with a crap defence.

I think people are too obsessed with transfers myself.