The Future Fan

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: The Future Fan

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:31 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:45 am
So in essence the analysis concludes: There are more people interested or consuming football in the world in 2022, than were in the 1970s/80s ,however the percentage of those people who actually attend live matches in 2022, has decreased.in comparison.

I think we can agree with that, without too much controversey.
It concludes that the majority of fans are more interested in writing on forums, social media, playing FIFA and discussing transfers than actually watching matches live. It breeds the kind of fan that wants instant gratification and explains a lot about the type of abuse the players get nowadays on forums and social media.

I think that is sad myself.
But has that not always been the case ? Social media and FIFA Play Stations may be relatively new but surely there have always been more people taking an interest in football than actually attending. I started attending in the 70s when still at school. Virtually all my schoolmates were interested in the game, either playing or discussing it, but relatively few actually went to matches. Similarly I would suggest if you were involved in a conversation with a group of blokes in a pub or club the majority would have an interest in the game but not all would have attended matches regularly, if at all.

Certainly the packaging of football for television has enabled more people to watch the game than was the case previously, and that may well have introduced some people, the "instant gratification seekers" if you like, to a game they previously had no interest in. But the facts of the matter are that more people are attending football matches live today than was the case when you and I started going. They may not attend every week, and no doubt cost is one of the factors in that, but there is still an enormous appetite for actually going to a match.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

There is more access to everything now,not just Football.If you wanted to watch your team,you had to be there.

It's a different world to attending matches in the 70s and 80s.

It's fantastic that we have got forums like this too,so we can have a good old chinwag.

I admit I just go to West Ham occasionally now,but it's always there in my blood and if not working,will watch all of their games when possible..

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:07 am
h69 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:31 am

It concludes that the majority of fans are more interested in writing on forums, social media, playing FIFA and discussing transfers than actually watching matches live. It breeds the kind of fan that wants instant gratification and explains a lot about the type of abuse the players get nowadays on forums and social media.

I think that is sad myself.
But has that not always been the case ? Social media and FIFA Play Stations may be relatively new but surely there have always been more people taking an interest in football than actually attending. I started attending in the 70s when still at school. Virtually all my schoolmates were interested in the game, either playing or discussing it, but relatively few actually went to matches. Similarly I would suggest if you were involved in a conversation with a group of blokes in a pub or club the majority would have an interest in the game but not all would have attended matches regularly, if at all.

Certainly the packaging of football for television has enabled more people to watch the game than was the case previously, and that may well have introduced some people, the "instant gratification seekers" if you like, to a game they previously had no interest in. But the facts of the matter are that more people are attending football matches live today than was the case when you and I started going. They may not attend every week, and no doubt cost is one of the factors in that, but there is still an enormous appetite for actually going to a match.
No not at all. People chatting in pubs were not fans that the clubs and the sport were aimed at. There were far fewer people watching it on TV as there were far less games on TV. Football was geared up for the live game, KO times were designed to make it easier to go to games and there was little chance of watching more than the odd highlights and maybe a live game on a Sunday if you were lucky. Most games were on Saturday at 3pm. There was little set up for those fans.

That is one of the reasons the FA Cup Final day were so special because for just one day they had a load of coverage, football shows etc. Outside that it was sparse.

Football is now geared to the TV viewer solely and is now an entertainment rather than a sport. Its understandable since the commercial operations at clubs are now more important than the football side. The media have a far greater influence than they used to and the majority of football fans would rather stay at home and watch games on TV.

Makes me laugh that people accept this and then march when they think they are not listened to as fans or that the owners are only in it for a quick buck...don't like that, don't get sky/BT/Amazon and support it then.

The marketing machine works for sure but the report is correct, the average Football fan is now someone who craves instant success, gets all their information from social media and occasionally they switch teams.

You dont think that VAR was introduced to help the game do you ? It is there to cause more talking points and controversy. The league thrives on it.

It is indicative of the relatively short attention span of people in this age. Hence why a meltdown when a team loses a single game. I remember when we lost a game or two in 85/86, fans were more supportive and didnt instantly complain that Lyall had got it wrong or that we needed to spend a fortune to replace players or abuse those players. Nowadays, not the case. Hence why I think the PL and the TV companies have ruined the sport (but improved the packaged as an entertainment for those that can barely think for themselves).

I am not here to argue this with you. Talk to the ECA and discuss their findings with them but as a match-going supporter, I make the report just about spot on.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

I find it hilarious when I look at YouTube and you see some fucking brain dead gobshites attending a game and it'll have the headline "It's all kicking off" or ultra this or ultra that. When you watch it, it consists of two sets of fans walking past one other calling out a few names FFS! Try being at football in the 70s or 80s you spotty faced little keyboard warrior cunt and see how you'd get on, a clean pair of pants would be needed I suspect.
Mind you, you only have to look at some of them today and they want to take you to court and have you shot.
I'm glad I'm not a youngster today, a truly horrible time for most things, let alone football.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

I miss the days of when I used to meet my mates at Upminster station, traveling to Upton park, queueing up and buying our tickets for the north stand. That moved onto having a season ticket and attending all the home games, good times!

My life choices and moving away to the countryside have made attending games in person far more difficult, going to a Saturday fixture would wipe out a whole day and cost quite a lot of money. I find myself now in the arm chair supporter category, beers at home at the football on the TV.

Do I prefer that to actually being at the game in person? Fuck no.
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

whu

Post by whu »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:17 pm I find it hilarious when I look at YouTube and you see some fucking brain dead gobshites attending a game and it'll have the headline "It's all kicking off" or ultra this or ultra that. When you watch it, it consists of two sets of fans walking past one other calling out a few names FFS! Try being at football in the 70s or 80s you spotty faced little keyboard warrior cunt and see how you'd get on, a clean pair of pants would be needed I suspect.
Mind you, you only have to look at some of them today and they want to take you to court and have you shot.
I'm glad I'm not a youngster today, a truly horrible time for most things, let alone football.
this
Fuck Off Sully, Brady, Moyes. Killing this club by death from a thousand cunts.