What striker do you think we should go after in the summer?

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: What striker do you think we should go after in the summer?

Post by Whiskyman »

Seem to be quite a few people would like to see us make a move for Ivan Toney. Personally I'm not completely convinced about him but if we are interested does anyone think Brentford might take Benrahma back as part of the deal ? He seemed to have been a fan favourite there, albeit in the Championship, and hasn't lived up to his hype, or the size of the transfer fee, since joining us.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:37 pm Not a striker but I was very impressed with that Anthony Gordon kid at Anfield today. On the evidence of that performance he’d be an ideal player for the Benrahma role. And if Everton drop maybe Benrahma would be happier back in his comfort zone. So could a swap be in order.
What a diver ! that's wanky-wank simulation of the highest order, it's up there with Owen against Argentina - bloody embarrasing and with a street urchin scrunched up face, not a good look. 3/10

Wot a cunt

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:53 am Seem to be quite a few people would like to see us make a move for Ivan Toney. Personally I'm not completely convinced about him but if we are interested does anyone think Brentford might take Benrahma back as part of the deal ? He seemed to have been a fan favourite there, albeit in the Championship, and hasn't lived up to his hype, or the size of the transfer fee, since joining us.
Not convinced about players from Brentford if I'm honest. They tend to look very decent in the Championship then struggle at a higher level. Maupay and Watkins are prime examples, both are supposed to be strikers but are very Antonio-esque when it comes to putting the ball in the net. Admittedly Toney has scored more this season but if you take out penalties he's actually scored less. I think we could do a lot more with the what, £50M Brentford would probably want for him.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:32 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:53 am Seem to be quite a few people would like to see us make a move for Ivan Toney. Personally I'm not completely convinced about him but if we are interested does anyone think Brentford might take Benrahma back as part of the deal ? He seemed to have been a fan favourite there, albeit in the Championship, and hasn't lived up to his hype, or the size of the transfer fee, since joining us.
Not convinced about players from Brentford if I'm honest. They tend to look very decent in the Championship then struggle at a higher level. Maupay and Watkins are prime examples, both are supposed to be strikers but are very Antonio-esque when it comes to putting the ball in the net. Admittedly Toney has scored more this season but if you take out penalties he's actually scored less. I think we could do a lot more with the what, £50M Brentford would probably want for him.
I agree with that. If Brentford want anything like £50 million I'd tell them to do one. It won't happen of course, however if Brentford would agree a straight swap, Benrahma for Toney, I'd bite their hand off. Always a gamble taking players from a lower league as unfortunately we've found out with Benrahma, although Bowen hasn't worked out badly. :lol:

I remember this time last year a lot were singing the praises of Adam Armstrong and urging us to sign him. But he seems to have sunk without trace at Southampton. Which I guess proves there is a massive gulf between the Championship and the PL. Good players can still be found but imo if a player Benrahma's age (24 I think when we signed him) hasn't been picked up by then there's usually a reason for it.

Let's face it there's lads of 20 and 21 with full international caps.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:43 am
BillyDWhizz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:32 am

I agree with that. If Brentford want anything like £50 million I'd tell them to do one. It won't happen of course, however if Brentford would agree a straight swap, Benrahma for Toney, I'd bite their hand off.
He didn't score at the weekend but he did hit the woodwork twice with half chances. I like him and imagine he might net 15 a season with our patterns of play.

Put him in the team with Antonio (wing) Bowen and Lanzini and
West Ham would have a very tasty front line.

Good attitude as well. Definitely a DM type of player which is the most important factor. Let's face it,he doesn't develop from the 23s does he.

Towie

Post by Towie »

I’d prefer Broja, but that is unlikely to happen.

Ivan Toney is my 2nd choice mainly because it is realistic and possibly get him for £30m, any more than that then no thanks.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Pipe smurf

Post by Pipe smurf »

Pipe smurf wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:22 am In other news

Napoli player Matteo Politano, Man City player Julián Álvarez, Sassuolo player Giacomo Raspadori, Fiorentina player Arthur Cabral, Porto player Evanilson, Porto player Mehdi Taremi and Chelsea player Armado Broja are on a shortlist as the clubs search for striker continues...
AND OF COURSE Andrea Belotti of Torino, he has appearantly been offered a 3 year deal, make of that what you will...

whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:15 pm
I’d prefer Broja, but that is unlikely to happen.

Ivan Toney is my 2nd choice mainly because it is realistic and possibly get him for £30m, any more than that then no thanks.
Tbh I'd be surprised if Broja, and Gallagher for that matter, isn't in the Chelsea first team squad for next season. But I agree with you, he'd be an excellent addition to anyone's squad. Sadly I suspect Tuchel will have the same opinion.

Must admit I am very envious of Chelsea's youth set up. They have players like Broja and Gallagher out on loan at the top level and we're still wondering if the likes of Alese, Chesters and Perkins will be able to handle playing at the top level. Maybe we shouldn't think about signing Broja but trying to poach their youth recruitment team. ;)

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

tassiehammer wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:10 pm
Pipe smurf wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:37 pm A bit important that eh !?

whufc_crest
You normally tell us for a fact whose coming next season. Now you're asking us.

Who does?
Flairon

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Flairon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:18 am
tassiehammer wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:10 pm

You normally tell us for a fact whose coming next season. Now you're asking us.

Who does?
He does
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............