Arsenal.

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Arsenal.

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:28 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:59 pm At the end of the day,they tried cheat the clubs around them to get top 4,though Spurs and United used Covid too to try and help themselves,when they got new managers in.They give themselves a 2 week break to help the manager to get to know the players.

Arsenal and Arteta just abused it a lot more.

Let's be honest here,if we were not in Europe after Christmas,we'd have pissed that top 4.It was games after Europa that mucked us up..Spurs and Arsenal benefited from that big time,not just less games,but they played their games against us;after it
Arsenal had a clear run and they f*cked it up..Normally I would have cheered Arsenal all the way,but not this time.
Is that really being honest Terry.?

Or delusional ;)

Surely it was the home defeats against Man United , Brentford, Southampton & Leeds, not to mention the points dropped at home to Brighton & Newcastle (2 that come easily to mind) which meant we missed out on top 4. And losing or dropping points in games like that should tell us that, although we had another reasonable season, we are most certainly not a top 4 team. Hopefully we might build on this season to try and become one but that's another story. The Europa League, or the Conference, is where we are in European terms at the moment and personally speaking I'd rather be in a competition we have some chance of doing well in rather than just making the numbers up which I fear would have been our situation had we qualified for the CL.

And don't forget we had some very decent results after some of our European games. If memory serves we beat Spurs and had our best result of the season imo, Liverpool, after a Thursday Europa match. Spurs & Arsenal may have benefited from not being involved in Europe but I'm sure you would rather have European matches than not having them.
Agree we’re not top 4 material, Europe or not. And we shoulda done better after Christmas. Did have Europa games for 2 months so shoulda done better in those games, but we didn’t.

Honestly never thought we’d get to the semis of the Europa so happily proved wrong and who knows how well we could do in the CL with that in mind. Not saying we’d win the thing or come close to winning it but our Europa efforts show we ain’t no mugs and we give any team a game.
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK »

Towie wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:57 pm

Or delusional ;)

Surely it was the home defeats against Man United , Brentford, Southampton & Leeds, not to mention the points dropped at home to Brighton & Newcastle (2 that come easily to mind) which meant we missed out on top 4. And losing or dropping points in games like that should tell us that, although we had another reasonable season, we are most certainly not a top 4 team. Hopefully we might build on this season to try and become one but that's another story. The Europa League, or the Conference, is where we are in European terms at the moment and personally speaking I'd rather be in a competition we have some chance of doing well in rather than just making the numbers up which I fear would have been our situation had we qualified for the CL.

And don't forget we had some very decent results after some of our European games. If memory serves we beat Spurs and had our best result of the season imo, Liverpool, after a Thursday Europa match. Spurs & Arsenal may have benefited from not being involved in Europe but I'm sure you would rather have European matches than not having them.
Spuds also lost at home to Brighton, Southampton and Man Utd. They are in top 4 must be the worse team to qualify for top 4 in Premier history.
They will very quickly be in Europa League me thinks.
Hope so. Then knocked out of it very quickly
COYI!!!

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:59 pm At the end of the day,they tried cheat the clubs around them to get top 4,though Spurs and United used Covid too to try and help themselves,when they got new managers in.They give themselves a 2 week break to help the manager to get to know the players.

Arsenal and Arteta just abused it a lot more.

Let's be honest here,if we were not in Europe after Christmas,we'd have pissed that top 4.It was games after Europa that mucked us up..Spurs and Arsenal benefited from that big time,not just less games,but they played their games against us;after it
Arsenal had a clear run and they f*cked it up..Normally I would have cheered Arsenal all the way,but not this time.

Or delusional ;)

First of all,I will agree with you,with this current squad,we are not good enough to be in the CL.I will also say,this years 4th place entrant,probably Spurs fom PL, will be one of the weakest ever to go in the CL.

Let's be honest,if we'd have beaten Burnley(no doubt),beaten Arsenal and got at least a point against Brentford away. and Spurs,who knows?,we would have been in the final mix.I do think in Son and Kane,they have 2 world class players and they make a big difference to them.When we have had a rest,we have give all the good teams a decent game.

It's not really any coincidence after EL games,we have only taken 2 points from 12 from Brentford and Burnley..Arsenal,Southampton and Leeds beat us after we had played so many games in so many days,while they'd had quite a bit of rest.

Whatever happens Whiskyman,them players have really done us proud.In my opinion(you don't have to agree),we have had a better season than Spurs,Arsenal and Man U overall.