FIFA on Agents

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

FIFA on Agents

Post by eskimo joe »

FIFA are considering capping agents fees to no more than 10%. Pity they don't go the whole hog and ban them altogether. It will achieve nothing, well not what is intended, will probably mean the already high valuation of players will rise.

Could be argued the club set the price and the buyer then negotiates, but in this day and age who knows what is involved in deals and contracts between all three parties.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

JayK

Re: FIFA on Agents

Post by JayK »

eskimo joe wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:35 am FIFA are considering capping agents fees to no more than 10%. Pity they don't go the whole hog and ban them altogether. It will achieve nothing, well not what is intended, will probably mean the already high valuation of players will rise.

Could be argued the club set the price and the buyer then negotiates, but in this day and age who knows what is involved in deals and contracts between all three parties.
There might be a sudden rise in brown envelope sales. I might buy shares
COYI!!!

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

JayK wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 am
eskimo joe wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:35 am FIFA are considering capping agents fees to no more than 10%. Pity they don't go the whole hog and ban them altogether. It will achieve nothing, well not what is intended, will probably mean the already high valuation of players will rise.

That thought did occur to me, not buying shares though

garnett

Post by garnett »

Agent's are vital to footballers, the vast majority are thick cunts and to be fair football clubs took advantage of that fact back in the day.
My problem is, if an agent is representing a player why does the club have to pay a fee, shirley it's the players responsibility a bit like a black cab driver paying an accountant to lower the tax they have to pay.
Allegedly.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:22 am Agent's are vital to footballers, the vast majority are thick cunts and to be fair football clubs took advantage of that fact back in the day.
My problem is, if an agent is representing a player why does the club have to pay a fee, shirley it's the players responsibility a bit like a black cab driver paying an accountant to lower the tax they have to pay.
Allegedly.
I make you right. Unfortunately the majority of people haven't a clue about managing money and agents (good ones) can give the right sort of advice to a young player about to sign his first big contract deal. But for every good agent there's a Willie McKay or Barry Silkman.

And I've certainly never got the "agent fee" mullarkey. Like you I'd have thought the player would pay a percentage of his annual income to his agent and that would be the end of it. Obviously the agent would, under that deal, be entitled to a percentage of any signing on fee but from his client and not as a seperate transaction.

But clearly it seems not to work that way.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

JayK wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 am

😂 😆 😂 😆 😂 😆
Flairon

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Points taken in but it's hard to imagine that they don't do it for anything other than their own benefit, granted players need an intermediary but as said the fee should come out of the players pocket not the clubs.

Also, it's not beyond them to haggle using what at times seems like interest from uninterested parties just to raise the price or even cement it. Ok common business practice, but it still stinks.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

eskimo joe wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:24 am Points taken in but it's hard to imagine that they don't do it for anything other than their own benefit, granted players need an intermediary but as said the fee should come out of the players pocket not the clubs.

Also, it's not beyond them to haggle using what at times seems like interest from uninterested parties just to raise the price or even cement it. Ok common business practice, but it still stinks.
Kevin De Bruyne negotiated his own contract. He had absolutely no desire to pay an agent even 1% fee on his £370K weekly salary. Agents are for others he observed.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:41 am
eskimo joe wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:24 am Points taken in but it's hard to imagine that they don't do it for anything other than their own benefit, granted players need an intermediary but as said the fee should come out of the players pocket not the clubs.

Kevin De Bruyne negotiated his own contract. He had absolutely no desire to pay an agent even 1% fee on his £370K weekly salary. Agents are for others he observed.
And why should he?! Players need to evaluate their own worth and ambition and negotiate accordingly, the fact agents get involved hikes the price which I suppose to some is great, it means more dosh. Better to have 100 k than 90k in the pocket, and the agent gets a few quid extra also.

I guess the answer is for all clubs to refuse to pay, but that won't happen so it will continue. Even if they raised the fees on licences it would be passed on via the transfer negotiation fee.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:41 am

Top stars should, and could, do the same. The monopoly money they get doesn't need sharing with a leech. But, having said that, its the majority of players when starting out are advised to get an agent and then know no better. Probably laziness as the big bucks come in.
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............