An Honest Season Appraisal

Chat about anything football related here!
Brookbonds73

Re: An Honest Season Appraisal

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Moyes out.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

jameskel wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:55 pm Its a tough one. The lack of activity in January has totally clouded the season for me, the players struggled in the last 8 weeks, even a cunt like numbers could have seen that on the horizon. That alone, turned what could have been an exeptional season, into a flat ending. We were better than EF, we were just fucked. We are better than MAN U, Arsenal as well, but the players were fucked

We played an entire season, without a forward.

The board and Moyes, can go fuck themselves
I can remember the day that window closed,we were all in disbelieve that we hadn't signed anybody.

In mid December,we started to see it..We thought,. January was around the corner,"We'll bring at least a couple in" and it never happened.We had a brilliant first half of the season, beating the likes of Liverpool,City (in the cup) and Chelsea.The players and fans were let down big time..Let's be honest,it's not the first time this has happened under this board.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:52 pm A season where we finished 7th in the league, being a West Ham fan for well over half a century would normally be considered an achievement,but last year we had one of the best seasons ever, finished 6th, qualified for Europe and scored a hatful of goals, this season for one reason or another seems to me frustrating.
We had the chance to cement a top 6th place, we were well ahead of Arsenal, The Spuds and Manu, but let it slip drastically.
Frustrating that we have failed miserably in bringing in players we desperately needed, not just this season's windows but last season as well. We had the second oldest squad in the PL, one of the smallest squads in the PL to play 38 league games along with 3 other competitions frustrating that we all knew players would burnout but those who are considered experts didn't. Frustrated that we were so predictable with team selection and tactics. Frustrated that substitutions were always made too late to effect a match. Frustrated that youngsters were rarely on the bench and when they were there were never going to have the chance that they could show what they had to offer. Frustrated that we had to continually use a makeshift striker who had 2 barren spells of 12 games where he couldn't score. Frustrated that we have just let 2 players leave for nothing who couldn't get a starting place for free when they should of been sold last summer.
Frustrated with the transfers brought in and not used... doesn't bode well.

So all in all a successful but frustrating season.
I get your frustrations Andy. After 2020/21 which I would consider a successful season I think we all hoped that 21/22 would produce more of the same. But it didn't, for some of the reasons you've highlighted.

But we have qualified for Europe for a second successive season so I'm not going to argue over your assessment that it was a successful one.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Post by 9898 »

Season mostly dominated by poor management and coaching.

Defence

Defence was living on the edge the first half of the season even though Moyes had 5 midfielders 5 metres in front of them.
When the midfield moved slightly further forward the second half of the season their personal limitations were badly exposed. Dawson showed what he is, a Championship centre half who makes 2 or 3 terrible errors every game.
Zouma is just a horrible defender to anyone who sees beyond a 12 foot leap. Season in and Moyes and the coaching staff have still not coached him into the basics of knowing his starting positions and knowing when to go forward or stay.
Coufal is a Czech league defender.
Cresswell is great in the attacking third but badly exposed in the defensive third.

Midfield
Soucek is a problem. Worst player in the team yet Moyes builds the team around him. Go figure. Oh, I forgot, 6'4" is why the team is built around him.
Without Rice the whole midfield is a shambles.

Forwards
For large parts of the season Antonio was Dowie levels. Control appalling. Dives all the time. Lazy. Greedy. No ability to see what is happening around him.

The coaching and management has been dreadful. Benrhama, Fornals, Coufal, Cresswell, Dawson, Soucek, Antonio have regressed throughout the season.
The tactic of 8 or 9 man defence and then play for set pieces is not good management or clever,it is just a scared game plan that resonates a scared, inferiority complex to the players.
Not one clever tactical change all season.
Not one youth player excelled, or allowed to excel. Moyes, as he has been all his career, is a youth team blocker. Old players his standard. The 'Red Bull' comments he made were the most laughable comments.
Take away the Norwich game, and the fact that we scored 12 goals in our last 13 PL games should tell the story and have every fan massively worried.

This team is as much un-West Hama s any Allardyce team.
By January next season there will be serious fan discontent.
Last edited by 9898 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

As much unlike any Allardyce team.... At last saying something positive.

Building the team around Soucek?!.. Don't make me laugh it's my tea break.

The rest is just your repetitive ramblings.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Post by 9898 »

eskimo joe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:07 am As much unlike any Allardyce team.... At last saying something positive.

Have no arguments to the stated points. As per.
Thanks for the endorsement.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

9898 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:22 am
eskimo joe wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:07 am As much unlike any Allardyce team.... At last saying something positive.

Have no arguments to the stated points. As per.
Thanks for the endorsement.
Nothing that hasn't been stated before hence the use of the word repetitive, but carry on with your beliefs, including the false belief of being endorsed. I will say this however, there are times when you make some salient points but more often than not points that I am not even sure you yuorself believe. Building the team around Soucek being just one of them.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

9898 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:51 am Season mostly dominated by poor management

When the midfield moved slightly further forward the second half of the season their personal limitations were badly exposed. Dawson showed what he is, a Championship centre half who makes 2 or 3 terrible errors every game.

Cresswell is great in the attacking third but badly exposed in the defensive third.

For large parts of the season Antonio was Dowie levels. Control appalling. Dives all the time. Lazy. Greedy. No ability to see what is happening around him.

The coaching and management has been dreadful. Benrhama, Fornals, Coufal, Cresswell, Dawson, Soucek, Antonio have regressed throughout the season.
The tactic of 8 or 9 man defence and then play for set pieces is not good management or clever,it is just a scared game plan that resonates a scared, inferiority complex to the players.
Not one youth player excelled, or allowed to excel. Moyes, as he has been all his career, is a youth team blocker. Old players his standard. The 'Red Bull' comments he made were the most laughable comments.
Take away the Norwich game, and the fact that we scored 12 goals in our last 13 PL games should tell the story and have every fan massively worried.

Can’t argue with any of what I’ve quoted above .
Been saying pretty much the same forever though I reckon your final paragraph is more to do with Moyes and his transfer policy than anything else you said .

Moyes (in when we’re doing well but) out (when we’re not)

:lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

9898 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:51 am Season mostly dominated by poor management and coaching.

Defence

Defence was living on the edge the first half of the season even though Moyes had 5 midfielders 5 metres in front of them.
Zouma is just a horrible defender to anyone who sees beyond a 12 foot leap. Season in and Moyes and the coaching staff have still not coached him into the basics of knowing his starting positions and knowing when to go forward or stay.
Coufal is a Czech league defender.

Midfield
Soucek is a problem. Worst player in the team yet Moyes builds the team around him. Go figure. Oh, I forgot, 6'4" is why the team is built around him.

Forwards

This team is as much un-West Hama s any Allardyce team.
By January next season there will be serious fan discontent.
Not bad for a crap team finishing 7th,considering the season before last,we'd been fighting relegation,(apart from one year) every year for the past 8 years?I think many of us would have taken the last 2 years,in the time we'd been in the PL.

Like many on here will vouch,Moyes has his faults,but overall,you cannot knock what his done.

I bet if we won the PL,you would still be criticising the team...What I find weird about you,is that you never find fault with our owners?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:42 am
Like many on here will vouch,Moyes has his faults,but overall,you cannot knock what his done.

I bet if we won the PL,you would still be criticising the team...What I find weird about you,is that you never find fault with our owners?
I think the fact that we gained fewer points in the league this season is a valid criticism. If this is an assessment of Moyes and the coaching staff trotting out the "tiredness" excuse won't wash because we knew we would be competing in the Europa League and the coaching staff would have factored this into their planning. They were happy with a smallish squad and it backfired. But having said that additional players would only have made a difference if they were of the necessary quality and not simply squad fillers.

I'm certainly not saying last season was a failure but I'm not buying into the "wasn't it great to have a cup run" mantra either. Planning for a forthcoming season should factor in the pressure of additional matches, including the possibility of those extra matches.

Next season , as an absolute minimum, we should be looking at getting back to our points tally of 2020/21..
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?