Morgan The FA Cup and the CL.

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Morgan The FA Cup and the CL.

Post by eskimo joe »

He reckons to spice up the FA cup the winners should get entry into the CL.. Some have argued it would help as it would make it more interesting and stop bigger clubs fielding weaker teams as most are apt to do.

The counter argument is I think it's Poppy cock, especially if people think it will scare many from playing weakened teams. In the last 40 years 37 winners have been those rated as the big 6.

The FA Cup has nothing to do with the EPL, so it is up to them to find a solution to make it more appealing, and not the carrot of a potential 6 game entry to the CL.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

h69

Re: Morgan The FA Cup and the CL.

Post by h69 »

eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:22 pm He reckons to spice up the FA cup the winners should get entry into the CL.. Some have argued it would help as it would make it more interesting and stop bigger clubs fielding weaker teams as most are apt to do.

The counter argument is I think it's Poppy cock, especially if people think it will scare many from playing weakened teams. In the last 40 years 37 winners have been those rated as the big 6.

The FA Cup has nothing to do with the EPL, so it is up to them to find a solution to make it more appealing, and not the carrot of a potential 6 game entry to the CL.
It's a way to make sure the big six get an advantage given one of them constantly wins the thing regardless of fielding weaker sides

CL qualification should only be the Champions in my opinion but if we are to continue with 4 places, I think finishing 4th is far more of a difficult achievement than winning the cup. Its just much harder over 38 games.

The cup is more for the fans now. The top clubs couldn't care less but tend to win it due to their better squads.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

h69 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:48 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:22 pm He reckons to spice up the FA cup the winners should get entry into the CL.. Some have argued it would help as it would make it more interesting and stop bigger clubs fielding weaker teams as most are apt to do.

It's a way to make sure the big six get an advantage given one of them constantly wins the thing regardless of fielding weaker sides

CL qualification should only be the Champions in my opinion but if we are to continue with 4 places, I think finishing 4th is far more of a difficult achievement than winning the cup. Its just much harder over 38 games.

The cup is more for the fans now. The top clubs couldn't care less but tend to win it due to their better squads.
Agreed, they did away with the losing finalists taking a place IF........good thing imo, The only discrepancy is the FA cup winners get a Europa League place where as the " league" cup winners get conference along with 7th placed in the league. Though 7th isn't a said

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

It's one of life's more banal anomalies, the big clubs are all accused of not taking the cup seriously and yet they are the one's who keep winning it. The real problem is that most of the remaining 14 clubs in the Prem don't take it seriously. The clubs in the bottom half typically don't prioritise it as they are obsessed with staying in the Prem and the rest are obsessing about trying to get into the Europa competitions in some other way. Burnley being a classis example, I don't think they've won more than one round in either cup in the last 10 years and they've often been knocked out by sides from the Championship or Div 1 on multiple occasions.

I thought last year we took the cups pretty seriously, but were incredibly unlucky in that we kept drawing Prem teams and usually away from home; but Moyes put out strong teams in all of the fixtures.

h69

Post by h69 »

dorsetdano wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:09 pm It's one of life's more banal anomalies, the big clubs are all accused of not taking the cup seriously and yet they are the one's who keep winning it. The real problem is that most of the remaining 14 clubs in the Prem don't take it seriously. The clubs in the bottom half typically don't prioritise it as they are obsessed with staying in the Prem and the rest are obsessing about trying to get into the Europa competitions in some other way. Burnley being a classis example, I don't think they've won more than one round in either cup in the last 10 years and they've often been knocked out by sides from the Championship or Div 1 on multiple occasions.

I thought last year we took the cups pretty seriously, but were incredibly unlucky in that we kept drawing Prem teams and usually away from home; but Moyes put out strong teams in all of the fixtures.
Agree with that especially the Carabao cup...Man Utd (away), Man City (away) and Spurs (away) and had we won that we would have had to play Chelsea.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Here's a daft idea. As the majority of times it's usually one of the big 6 that wins and has qualified for Europe, keep the EPL out of the competition. Let the others fight it out, and just to give it more flavour, the team that wins it gains entry into the league directly above. If they already qualified then double the prize money.

Well I did say it was a daft idea.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:22 pm Here's a daft idea. As the majority of times it's usually one of the big 6 that wins and has qualified for Europe, keep the EPL out of the competition. Let the others fight it out, and just to give it more flavour, the team that wins it gains entry into the league directly above. If they already qualified then double the prize money.

Well I did say it was a daft idea.
Or people could stop trying to breathe life into a corpse. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?