West Ham vs Man City Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: West Ham vs Man City Official Match Thread

Post by JayK »

You old bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:
COYI!!!

h69

Post by h69 »

hd1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 pm I don't think he did tell the to go out and not get beat by more than two goals. I think he told them to keep it as tight as possible and hit them on the break to try and get something from the game. The problem is you need to take whatever chances you get and Rice and Benrahma didn't
Quite so.

You are wasting your time mate. Didnt you realise that most on here were in the teamtalk and sitting on the bench

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

h69 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 am
hd1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 pm I don't think he did tell the to go out and not get beat by more than two goals. I think he told them to keep it as tight as possible and hit them on the break to try and get something from the game. The problem is you need to take whatever chances you get and Rice and Benrahma didn't
Quite so.

You are wasting your time mate. Didnt you realise that most on here were in the teamtalk and sitting on the bench
Put it this way he did what I would have done, set up to try not to lose or concede too many and take the chances should they appear. We, imo, managed only 1 of the 3.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Ibbyham wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:52 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:34 am Amazingly,it could be the same team that started against Leicester City away 2 years ago a couple of games into the season.

It begs believe,considering our PL form since January would have us in 14th.

Yes,they have signed a few players,but not enough.The squad is weaker now than it was at the end of the last game of the season.

From what we have seen in pre season,it doesn't leave me too optimistic about the up coming season.It doesn't matter who you are,staleness sets in,when you have got the same old players whether you are successful or not.

We should have known our targets before the season even ended and it should have been all in place a week before the new season started. Between Moyes and the board,they have failed us.

0-4 City.
Totally agreed with you there, we only done half of our homework in GK, central defender, central midfielder and a striker BUT we wasted too long on left back, left attacking winger and another central midfielder which is why Man City are licking their lips to do attacking on our left side area as it is far too weak as shown in 2 previous pre-season games. Cresswell is not strong enough and Fornals is bloody too slow in pace and always pass back to Cressie. Should have done that in June!!! Which is why I put West Ham to lose 1-4 to Man City in my predictions.

Had Moyes got the 2 left sided players done, I would be more confident of a draw against Man City.
The problem became reasonably apparent after 20 mins when the commentary team observed that Thoma Soucek was yet to touch the ball.

Using a midfielder whose main quality is ghosting into the box is not overly suitable when the team has no decent share of possession.

What you probably want is more of a worker bee next to Rice and DMs choice's were limited to Coventy or young Flynn,which he himself had selected.

However these guys were not considered and Soucek continued his work without actually assisting Rice in his.
And facing a team of the oppositions class made their afternoon easier than it should have been.

Hopefully lessons have been learned but it's much better to get things right in the first place or at least give the rest of them a chance. A slim chance always is preferred to no chance.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 am

Totally agreed with you there, we only done half of our homework in GK, central defender, central midfielder and a striker BUT we wasted too long on left back, left attacking winger and another central midfielder which is why Man City are licking their lips to do attacking on our left side area as it is far too weak as shown in 2 previous pre-season games. Cresswell is not strong enough and Fornals is bloody too slow in pace and always pass back to Cressie. Should have done that in June!!! Which is why I put West Ham to lose 1-4 to Man City in my predictions.

Had Moyes got the 2 left sided players done, I would be more confident of a draw against Man City.
The problem became reasonably apparent after 20 mins when the commentary team observed that Thoma Soucek was yet to touch the ball.

Using a midfielder whose main quality is ghosting into the box is not overly suitable when the team has no decent share of possession.

What you probably want is more of a worker bee next to Rice and DMs choice's were limited to Coventy or young Flynn,which he himself had selected.

However these guys were not considered and Soucek continued his work without actually assisting Rice in his.
And facing a team of the oppositions class made their afternoon easier than it should have been.

Hopefully lessons have been learned but it's much better to get things right in the first place or at least give the rest of them a chance. A slim chance always is preferred to no chance.
Imo the Rice/Soucek role change issue is a classic example of the wisdom in the saying that if it ain't broken don't try fixing it. The combination worked exceptionally well in 2020/21 so why meddle ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Doubt Moyes has learnt anything new from what we saw out there against Man City , as this has been going on for some time and he is still allowing it .

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:55 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 pm

Blimey Whiskyman,I thought you were on here with the most brains.If anybody on here was going to be a DSI,it would have thought it would have been you mate.After all,your the man on here that's likes to analyse every detail of everyone's post.

Moyes played the game not to get thrashed. If he had a fully fit back 4 and the Antonio we had before January(his been crap all year),we may have played it slightly differently.

Hope that helps DCI Burnside..
Analyse everyone's post ?? No way can I be arsed to do that. You really ought to stick to your guns Terry. Changing your opinion about things every week or so makes it very difficult for us old cunts on here. I didn't think you were one of those old cunts, but your mention of DCI Burnside makes me wonder if you're older than you're letting on. Is that enough analysis for you. ?
You know how old I am Whiskyman.I went to my first game in 1971,so a bit younger than you.

Like I said before,I do think Moyes has done a wonderful job since he came back,but things change in Football within 12 months..
This time last year,we were on the crest of a wave.We finished 6th in the PL,were in the Europa League and started well.In pre season,we looked sharp,thrashed Celtic and then followed that up by scoring 4 at Newcastle on the opening day.

Forward 12 months,our form in the PL since the middle of December,would have us not far off the bottom 3.I'd probably blame fatigue on that with Moyes flogging the same players,with our involvement in Europe.In pre season,we couldn't even find a pass against below average opposition.

Unfortunately,it's effected our confidence and we look nothing like the team we were last year..Yeah,we are still organised,but we are a shadow of ourselves of what we were last August.

I hope Moyes will fix it with the new signings,but similar to last year,I think even if we do click again,it maybe the size of the squad,that maybe our downfall.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:55 pm

Analyse everyone's post ?? No way can I be arsed to do that. You really ought to stick to your guns Terry. Changing your opinion about things every week or so makes it very difficult for us old cunts on here. I didn't think you were one of those old cunts, but your mention of DCI Burnside makes me wonder if you're older than you're letting on. Is that enough analysis for you. ?
You know how old I am Whiskyman.I went to my first game in 1971,so a bit younger than you.

Like I said before,I do think Moyes has done a wonderful job since he came back,but things change in Football within 12 months..
This time last year,we were on the crest of a wave.We finished 6th in the PL,were in the Europa League and started well.In pre season,we looked sharp,thrashed Celtic and then followed that up by scoring 4 at Newcastle on the opening day.

Forward 12 months,our form in the PL since the middle of December,would have us not far off the bottom 3.I'd probably blame fatigue on that with Moyes flogging the same players,with our involvement in Europe.In pre season,we couldn't even find a pass against below average opposition.

Unfortunately,it's effected our confidence and we look nothing like the team we were last year..Yeah,we are still organised,but we are a shadow of ourselves of what we were last August.

I hope Moyes will fix it with the new signings,but similar to last year,I think even if we do click again,it maybe the size of the squad,that maybe our downfall.
I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the squad but the lack of quality in it. Particularly on the bench. Imo we have one almost world class player, Rice, one excellent one, Bowen, one who was on the fringes of the Spanish squad, Fornals, who imo is being ruined by having to perform in a role which doesn't give us the best from him and a decent keeper in Areola. The rest are, at best, good to average, and needing to be padded out by the likes of Benrahma, Dawson and Lanzini. Simply not enough quality.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

As Moyes stated in his post match interview he tried to replicate the same tactics as we used when we drew with them at the end of last season and managed a draw.

He then stated that tactically we were out done by City.

So, using the same tactics and more or less the same team that were used throughout last season, he at no point thought we were going to be predictable to any manager in the PL let alone Pep...,..

If he intends to carry on with this type of mind set we could have a very frustrating season.

Post by 9898 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 am

Imo the Rice/Soucek role change issue is a classic example of the wisdom in the saying that if it ain't broken don't try fixing it. The combination worked exceptionally well in 2020/21 so why meddle ?
Idiotic comment.
On that basis Spurs should never have sold Ali because he was superb with Kane 4 years ago.......but has been shit for the past 3 years
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."