Nottingham Forest vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Nottingham Forest vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:46 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:19 am

I didn't get (still don't) your "how did it happen" question. You made the point about Forest being thrown together, which they were. Surely you're not saying they played well ? That's why I was asking.
I think the better question is 'how was it allowed to happen'

After 30 mins it was possible to guess the trajectory,based on familiar patterns of play.

What did the coach do, to attempt to better influence a positive outcome during the next hour.

Then we would say he tried but it wasn't successful rather than it was unsuccessful because he didn't try... enough
Playing devil's advocate here I would guess he would say we were bossing the game which, despite not playing at all well, I guess we were. We had the Benrahma goal disallowed, then after conceding we hit the woodwork twice and missed a penalty.

You or I would probably say we could see Bowen, surprisingly, and Antonio, all too typically, were having no impact on the game and we would have changed the line up. But I guess Moyes and the coaches don't think along the same lines.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Step up Captain Rice for the Penalty.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:46 am
I think the better question is 'how was it allowed to happen'

After 30 mins it was possible to guess the trajectory,based on familiar patterns of play.

What did the coach do, to attempt to better influence a positive outcome during the next hour.

Then we would say he tried but it wasn't successful rather than it was unsuccessful because he didn't try... enough
Playing devil's advocate here I would guess he would say we were bossing the game which, despite not playing at all well, I guess we were. We had the Benrahma goal disallowed, then after conceding we hit the woodwork twice and missed a penalty.

You or I would probably say we could see Bowen, surprisingly, and Antonio, all too typically, were having no impact on the game and we would have changed the line up. But I guess Moyes and the coaches don't think along the same lines.
No doubt in my mind that Moyes’ substitutions influenced the final outcome of the game .
Bowen and Antonio … OFF …. A LOT earlier .
Why on Earth substitute Fornals for a player that perpetually does nothing ? .

And Scamacca was receiving his touchline instructions a good 15+ minutes before he actually appeared and when he did appear his best chance of receiving the ball had been withdrawn .
Now THAT is dithering.
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:27 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 pm

No doubt in my mind that Moyes’ substitutions influenced the final outcome of the game .

And Scamacca was receiving his touchline instructions a good 15+ minutes before he actually appeared and when he did appear his best chance of receiving the ball had been withdrawn .
Now THAT is dithering.
We are clearly on the same page as far as Fornals is concerned.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Newmarket wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:27 pm

Now THAT is dithering.
We are clearly on the same page as far as Fornals is concerned.

A few us do see his qualities, just wish it were in his best position.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Duncanio

Post by Duncanio »

dagenhamdave wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 am
Duncanio wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:03 am I don't spend much time on here but why is Moyes being referred to as a Scots cunt? Is this the anti-Hammers thread?
Apology, I should just said Annoying Cunt.
That's much better.
I believe he knows what is wrong but tries to solve the issues with minor changes, not drastic ones. You see it when he makes subs. Like for like.
He seems slow at times but two games, one we were always going to have a hard time and the other a potential banana skin which we had some bad luck in and created some chances. I'd have gone with 'Bastard' rather than 'Cunt' at such an early stage of the season.

Duncanio

Post by Duncanio »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:12 am
Duncanio wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 am

Indeed, just not really sure what he's done to deserve it. The club and team is in better shape than it has been in recent years.
We're not playing well and we look a little slow (to press and attack,) and unfit maybe. The team selected today should beat Notts Forest. That's down to the players too,. not only the management. We have injury probs and going through a little transitional period. No crisis yet.
Yes it is down to the players and the coach bears responsibility for their selection,tactics and in game management. Areas where the coach has direct involvement.

Consider an observation made by DM last weekend (Man City) - the team didn't look fit. It's his responsibility for player fitness, pre season schedules, fixture arrangements. That's like a catering manager blaming the food - that he prepared and served.

This week the fault was conceding a ridiculous goal and not taking chances. Chances that were missed by out of form players, that are continually selected, in preference to the fit new signings.
DM said all the new signings were fit for selection, excepting Aguerd who everybody knows about.

And of course he sites the difficulties in signing new players, reinforcements if you like. But he doesn't use them when they arrive.

He gave an interview setting out his football philosophy. He admires the Red Bull model and wants to promote youth. Then ignores youth almost completely. Unless your a defender, in which case he might cautiously try you.

For the last eight months the same collection of players have been used with ever diminishing returns. Those players have either grown stale with the system or the tactics have been sussed and their use routinely neutralised.

For months I have listened to "...only bring in players that improve the first XI" - fucking hell mate,how could you fail to do anything else.

There again, you do have to use them when they arrive...
Yeah, that's a good post actually mate. Agree they aren't fit and apparently off form. I don't see much urgency or willingness to press quickly. Watching Chelsea play, showed how it should be done. We look like we're not ready and that, as you say, is Moyes' responsibility.
We know Moyes likes to ease players into the first team and is loyal to those that have done him well. That's generally speaking, what he does.
Obviously currently there is a problem with centre backs, Rice doesn't look at his best, Bowen certainly doesn't, the team is depleted but I do think they're trying to correct that with new signings. I think there are some exciting new players and when Moyes gets them all firing, I think it will be worth a the early season teething problems.