Moyes gets a free ride

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Moyes gets a free ride

Post by Whiskyman »

Hammershark wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:01 pm Someone needs to take the blame for Vlasic coming here for megabucks…..
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you my friend. Take the blame ? This is England 2022, taking responsibility for things going tits up isn't something we are particularly good at. :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:55 pm Moyes has done very well turning the club from perennial relegation candidates into , er , not perennial relegation candidates .
But by his own recent admissions our opponents have pretty much caught on and to coin an old fashioned phrase , have sussed him and us out.

He’s now in the position of having to completely rebuild and change the way we play .
I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest that his apparent lack of tactical nous and inability to change things in-game has been due to what he has had to work with and divert much of the blame in the direction of the way the club has made a complete hash of its transfer policy , lack of investment and total lack of foresight.

We are going to be short in quite a few areas come deadline day and with more players needing replacing this time next year I don’t envy the job Moyes has.

But ffs get a left back or we are fucked .
And his complete lack of giving youngsters game time.
And before anyone says he gave Coventry his premier debut, I mean not a minute at the end of a game where he has no time to influence anything.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Moyes has a bit of time because what he has done since his return.

I am not sure who is to blame,but in our last 2 seasons,we could have had a CL place in both years.It was our lack of spending that cost us,especially on a centre forward.

I am sure if the club would have acted on what we needed,we would have been in a hell of a better place and that includes our transfers..I doubt either Onana or Lingard would have turned their nose up playing CL Football.

Unfortunately for us fans,we missed the boat because of the lack of activity in the market,maybe the last chance we will ever have in my lifetime.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:38 pm Moyes has a bit of time because what he has done since his return.

I am not sure who is to blame,but in our last 2 seasons,we could have had a CL place in both years.It was our lack of spending that cost us,especially on a centre forward.

I am sure if the club would have acted on what we needed,we would have been in a hell of a better place and that includes our transfers..I doubt either Onana or Lingard would have turned their nose up playing CL Football.

Unfortunately for us fans,we missed the boat because of the lack of activity in the market,maybe the last chance we will ever have in my lifetime.
Sorry buti feel you are mistaken about the CL football in both the last two years, a dream maybe for this one, the last one was off the back of a relegation battle. Had we spent money in January, or even a bit better the window previous Europa maybe, but CL no way, We might have reached the lofty heights of 4th but we never really nailed it down, and 6 th was slipping through our fingers come christmas.. I will put that down to lack of depth, but not the loss of a CL place-
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

eskimo joe wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:53 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:38 pm Moyes has a bit of time because what he has done since his return.

Sorry buti feel you are mistaken about the CL football in both the last two years, a dream maybe for this one, the last one was off the back of a relegation battle. Had we spent money in January, or even a bit better the window previous Europa maybe, but CL no way, We might have reached the lofty heights of 4th but we never really nailed it down, and 6 th was slipping through our fingers come christmas.. I will put that down to lack of depth, but not the loss of a CL place-
in 2021,we were ONE win off finishing in 4th place..Maybe that extra striker or Central Midfielder could have earned that 3 points.?Don't forget we lost Rice and Antonio towards the end of the season for a number of games.

Our lack of activity in the last January window probably cost us a place through the Europa League this year.Did you know we were the 4th team that spent the most time in the Top 4 last season.

Next time Joe,do your homework mate.,before saying I had made a mistake mate ;)

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

We didn't nail 4 th place down though did we, which is what I said. Finishing 4 th last season was a dream that I think that with even spending money in January would not have come true., 5th or 6th maybe.

We would be trying to run long before we could walk and to put the failure to finish 4th down solely to lack of spending is solely supposition, we could just as easily have finished where we did.

Getting in the CL was a fantasy, and regardless of how high you rate the team we would have been shown up for what we are and would have been at the time, a Europa team at the best.

To come from relegation fodder to competitors in Europe in two and a half seasons is good, but to expect CL football and to seriously compete in one season is well fantasy.

This season will actually be a defining one imo, it will really highlight how far we have come, what is evident ATM is we still need to spend or at the very least loan players to fill the places required if not then it's adiós to any place higher than 7th. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for CL football. Dreams are nice but reality can be a bummer sometimes.

Oh as an edit, I actually said I think you are mistaken about CL football, I don't think there would be any homework to do just to rewrite to say you are a dreamer.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:54 am We didn't nail 4 th place down though did we, which is what I said. Finishing 4 th last season was a dream that I think that with even spending money in January would not have come true., 5th or 6th maybe.

We would be trying to run long before we could walk and to put the failure to finish 4th down solely to lack of spending is solely supposition, we could just as easily have finished where we did.

Getting in the CL was a fantasy, and regardless of how high you rate the team we would have been shown up for what we are and would have been at the time, a Europa team at the best.

To come from relegation fodder to competitors in Europe in two and a half seasons is good, but to expect CL football and to seriously compete in one season is well fantasy.

This season will actually be a defining one imo, it will really highlight how far we have come, what is evident ATM is we still need to spend or at the very least loan players to fill the places required if not then it's adiós to any place higher than 7th. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for CL football. Dreams are nice but reality can be a bummer sometimes.

Oh as an edit, I actually said I think you are mistaken about CL football, I don't think there would be any homework to do just to rewrite to say you are a dreamer.
I make you right Joe. Look at our squad. How many really top class, CL standard if you like, players do we have ? We overachieved to secure 6th place and I am sick and tired of hearing tiredness and fatigue used as an excuse for us failing to win the Europa League, which was within our capabilities imo. We didn't because on the day we simply weren't good enough. Hiding behind excuses is doing nobody any favours because it fails to address the real issue---a lack of genuine quality in the squad, a fact which Moyes himself seems to have acknowledged with his "I want more Payet type players" comment. Don't we all Moyesie, good luck with finding one or two of them.

We have a decent shout of competing with teams of our level in the Conference and we ought to be good enough to have another decent European run in that competition. But our present squad in the CL would, frankly, be a bit of an embarrassment. I watched the Real Madrid v Frankfurt game last night and although the game is pretty much the European Charity Shield , a showpiece rather than a full blooded competitive game, the gulf in class between Madrid and Frankfurt was far greater than the 2-0 scoreline. And the best team in Germany, Bayern Munich, who will be one of the teams to beat in the CL hammered Frankfurt on their own patch 6-1 last weekend in the first league game of the season.

The gulf between the serious players and the rest is massive.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:54 am
eskimo joe wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:54 am We didn't nail 4 th place down though did we, which is what I said. Finishing 4 th last season was a dream that I think that with even spending money in January would not have come true., 5th or 6th maybe.

I make you right Joe. Look at our squad. How many really top class, CL standard if you like, players do we have ? We overachieved to secure 6th place and I am sick and tired of hearing tiredness and fatigue used as an excuse for us failing to win the Europa League, which was within our capabilities imo. We didn't because on the day we simply weren't good enough. Hiding behind excuses is doing nobody any favours because it fails to address the real issue---a lack of genuine quality in the squad, a fact which Moyes himself seems to have acknowledged with his "I want more Payet type players" comment. Don't we all Moyesie, good luck with finding one or two of them.

We have a decent shout of competing with teams of our level in the Conference and we ought to be good enough to have another decent European run in that competition. But our present squad in the CL would, frankly, be a bit of an embarrassment. I watched the Real Madrid v Frankfurt game last night and although the game is pretty much the European Charity Shield , a showpiece rather than a full blooded competitive game, the gulf in class between Madrid and Frankfurt was far greater than the 2-0 scoreline. And the best team in Germany, Bayern Munich, who will be one of the teams to beat in the CL hammered Frankfurt on their own patch 6-1 last weekend in the first league game of the season.

The gulf between the serious players and the rest is massive.
Spot on, even the feelings in the old bones screamed out that we hadn't and haven't got a squad anywhere near good enough to have a real go in the CL..

I hear what you say about excuses of tiredness. I don't actually put it down to physical tiredness more mental and that's only because I compare how I felt after a long season playing two matches every week.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:45 pm
hd1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:24 pm Boring and fucking predictable.

Thats numbnuts not Moyes btw
You don’t think Moyes is predictable ?
Every manager in the prem thinks so. :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Getting rid of players without first securing adequate or better replacements is fucking plain stupidity.
It’ll be a mad rush come end of the month fucking about with old has beens on freebies or loans.

Pretty much standard for us :D