January 2023 transfer window thread

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: January 2023 transfer window thread

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:37 am
Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:05 am Even if we do get active in this coming window, there is only one squad space available .
Anything else will be a one out one in situation.

Then there is the home grown quota to consider not just now but in the summer.
Dawson may well leave , Cresswell SHOULD be on his way , Rice IS on his way , Johnson MAY be on his way ( contract situation) .
Ogbonna is likely to be pensioned off .

And that’s if we stay up .

I’m not looking forward to this evening, I think it’s going to be a grim atmosphere…
I don't think we will stay up. The malaise has burrowed far too deeply and there appears to be no one capable of finding a solution. The general sense of hopelessness is very reminiscent of the Grant season when I believe the majority of our fans realised early doors that the drop was pretty inevitable. Particularly when Martin O'Neill told the dwarf to do one when he was apparently offered the gig around Christmas time.

As you say there will be a number of departures in the summer even without relegation. With Championship football to look forward to there will be a stampede for the lifeboats imo. And I bet there wuill still be deluded click baiters and the like still believing we can attract the likes of Pochettino and Tuchel. :lol:
I'm surprised you are saying we won't stay up.I thought you would be the last person to say that.

If they keep Moyes,then I believe that could be a possibility.I think if someone else comes in,it will change the mood of the place.

I do think we lack pace and that needs to be addressed in the window. Cornet is a waste of space,so we cannot rely on him.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Clayton wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:18 am
Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:05 am Even if we do get active in this coming window, there is only one squad space available .
Anything else will be a one out one in situation.

Then there is the home grown quota to consider not just now but in the summer.
Dawson may well leave , Cresswell SHOULD be on his way , Rice IS on his way , Johnson MAY be on his way ( contract situation) .
Ogbonna is likely to be pensioned off .

And that’s if we stay up .

I’m not looking forward to this evening, I think it’s going to be a grim atmosphere…
I am not looking forward to the future either with the state of the squad as it is , the future manager is going to have some job on his hands when you think about it .
I don't really fear for any future manager, if in fact there is going to be a future manager, with our current squad.
I might be very naive in my thinking, but, just by simply changing the set up from 4-2-3-1 to either 4-4-2, or 3-5-2 and using what players we have at our disposal now, we would easily scrape enough points over the next 20 matches to actually stay up,
The problem Popeye won't change, and that is his downfall,
Come the summer we can evaluate the existing squad and buy accordingly.
If the rumours are true, that Popeye has been offered funds to buy a new striker this window and he has refused it unfortunately clearly shows that he will not be using two upfront in the foreseeable future.
Scallywag needs a mate to play with, Antonio should be used as a winger and push Bowen for his place. Mubama can push the other strikers......simple isn't it

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:12 pm
Clayton wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:18 am

I am not looking forward to the future either with the state of the squad as it is , the future manager is going to have some job on his hands when you think about it .

If the rumours are true, that Popeye has been offered funds to buy a new striker this window and he has refused it unfortunately clearly shows that he will not be using two upfront in the foreseeable future.
Where’d you get that from Andy ?
Bring back Jonathon !

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:36 pm
andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:12 pm

Can I plead my case first.....I did say rumours

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/ ... m-is-true/

Just a couple of many....and I know....clickbait.....but there's no smoke without fire..... ;)

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:46 pm
Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:36 pm

Just a couple of many....and I know....clickbait.....but there's no smoke without fire..... ;)
For what it’s worth , I don’t think we need a striker , there’s nothing wrong with the dynamic (Scam/Ant/Bowen) up front that couldn’t be put right by Moyes not being a cowardly Cunt .
Full backs and probably a Centre Back yes … but a striker ?
Tbh it all sounds a bit deja vu tbh .
I’m inclined to agree with Geo in that it’s Sullivan undermining the manager .
They usually start putting stuff like this out there at this stage of a managers 3rd season …. You know , when it starts going stale.

It’ll be “well we offered him the dosh…”

Think about it , have they offered him a particular striker or the money for one of his choice ?
Bring back Jonathon !

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:44 pm

For what it’s worth , I don’t think we need a striker , there’s nothing wrong with the dynamic (Scam/Ant/Bowen) up front that couldn’t be put right by Moyes not being a cowardly Cunt .
They usually start putting stuff like this out there at this stage of a managers 3rd season …. You know , when it starts going stale.

Think about it , have they offered him a particular striker or the money for one of his choice ?
My thoughts exactly

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:07 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:37 am

I don't think we will stay up. The malaise has burrowed far too deeply and there appears to be no one capable of finding a solution. The general sense of hopelessness is very reminiscent of the Grant season when I believe the majority of our fans realised early doors that the drop was pretty inevitable. Particularly when Martin O'Neill told the dwarf to do one when he was apparently offered the gig around Christmas time.

As you say there will be a number of departures in the summer even without relegation. With Championship football to look forward to there will be a stampede for the lifeboats imo. And I bet there wuill still be deluded click baiters and the like still believing we can attract the likes of Pochettino and Tuchel. :lol:
I'm surprised you are saying we won't stay up.I thought you would be the last person to say that.
Why do you think that ? I don't buy into the "we've got a good squad argument" tbh. I think we have a disjointed one. My opinion is based on the fact that the writing has been on the wall for over a year and we are no nearer to solving the problems than we were this time last Christmas.

If you analyse our results you';ll see relegation form right the way through the games since we beat Chelsea thanks to Masuaku's fluke.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

With the present make up of the team wouldn't buying a new striker be a bit like giving Rembrandt a shiny new canvas and brushes, telling him to create a masterpiece but forgetting to give him any paint ?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:08 pm

With the present make up of the team wouldn't buying a new striker be a bit like giving Rembrandt a shiny new canvas and brushes, telling him to create a masterpiece but forgetting to give him any paint ?
It’s partly why I don’t believe a word of it .

Do YOU think we need a new striker ?

Or do you just agree that utilising the ones we have properly might just do the trick ?
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:11 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:08 pm

It’s partly why I don’t believe a word of it .

Do YOU think we need a new striker ?

Or do you just agree that utilising the ones we have properly might just do the trick ?
Imo the problem isn't the strikers. It's the total lack of imagination and creativity from those who should be providing the bullets for the strikers. And I agree that is in large part because we are not using the available resources properly.

And like you I don't believe a word of it either.