January 2023 transfer window thread

Chat about anything football related here!
andyginbrasil

Re: January 2023 transfer window thread

Post by andyginbrasil »

Agents not only take a a commission on transfer fees but also on the players salary and any advertising rights.
So, if Ashby was on £2k a week here and Newcastle want to pay him £10k as well as a transfer fee the agent is going to tell him to go to Newcastle....a nice little earner

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:04 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:36 pm

Agents mainly ,they over inflate youngsters ego’s then conspire to get them to agree to them asking a ridiculous salary on the off chance we’re gullible to take it.
I will go with that 100%....over inflate player wage demands.. and as soon as there there is a sniff of a transfer fee comission on the horizon whoever it may be it is usually the agent who advises the player to move, even if it is not in the players interest......agents...scum of the earth
"Scum of the earth" ? Bit strong Andy. At the end of the day the agent works for the player so if a move isn't in the player's interests he can refuse the advice of his agent.. And of course I guess we can ask what are the player's best interests. At the end of the day we all go to work to earn a crust and £1. mill p.a. sounds a lot better than £500k. Particularly over 3 or 4 years. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:33 pm You'd be surprised what goes on in the background with these youngsters. A London club (not us as we wouldn't know talent if it fell in McCunty's minge) had a talented youngster a while back whose dad used to drive him to training in an old car.
A couple of months later dad's driving him to training in a brand new Mercedes. Loose change when you consider that the kid may turn in to a star and be worth millions.
The incentives/perks bribes even offered to these kids is quite something even at that level.
Ashby probably didn't fancy being driven around in a 1968 ford Anglia, so decided to fuck off.
Nothing new my learned friend and I can speak from experience.

West Ham came knocking on my door when I was 14. But a crate of brown ale for my Dad and three packets of woodbines for Mum was an insult they said. Even when they added the weekend in the club caravan at Jaywick, which is still in use today.

So I signed for Barcelona but the car picking me up at the airport was delayed and I discovered estrella while waiting.

The rest is history.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:40 pm
andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:04 pm

I will go with that 100%....over inflate player wage demands.. and as soon as there there is a sniff of a transfer fee comission on the horizon whoever it may be it is usually the agent who advises the player to move, even if it is not in the players interest......agents...scum of the earth
"Scum of the earth" ? Bit strong Andy. At the end of the day the agent works for the player so if a move isn't in the player's interests he can refuse the advice of his agent.. And of course I guess we can ask what are the player's best interests. At the end of the day we all go to work to earn a crust and £1. mill p.a. sounds a lot better than £500k. Particularly over 3 or 4 years. ;)
My hatred is personal......

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

"An unprecedented transfer window closed with a record £815m January spend and Chelsea's British record £107m signing of Enzo Fernandez."

so clubs buying safety and points, anything to hopefully try and improve their lot or get out of trouble etc...
my question is a simple one..WTF have we done considering our current table /points position ?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pm
Clayton wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:41 pm

I know Longelo was there on loan and supposedly doing well isn't the point of loan deals to see a youngster gain experience . Really do not see what there is to laugh about , another club youngster who may or may not be up to the standard of the premier league has left us , without even being given a chance to show if they had the ability , similar to Perkins - Alese and Ekwah to name a few .
I think it's funny to say that it was kept quiet when it was announced at both clubs on their websites.

As for the kids that have left, we'll I heard all that when Rob Hall and Grady Diangana were let go and I'm still waiting to see them tear it up.

Good luck to the kid Longelo but there is probably a reason only Birmingham were in for him yesterday despite many PL clubs being in the market.

Dud score his first goal v QPR though but then gave away a pen I believe :?
I think what Clay was trying to say was that the flogging off of Longelo wasn’t picked up on by the usual suspects so was a bit of a surprise when it actually happened as there’s rarely any smoke without fire, especially at West Ham.

Personally I was hoping that in this kids case the club were genuinely loaning him out to Birmingham to give him proper football experience at a decent level .
And he was getting game time too . I understand the only reason he lost his place initially was because of the EFL 5 loanee max ruling (& Birmingham have 6) but played last weekend and played well so may well have got his place back , who knows ?

I’m a little disappointed as it seems he’s just not as good as Cresswell 🥲
Bring back Jonathon !

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Bring back Jonathon !

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:07 am They tried….

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ ... ed-stories
I offered Messi a fucking fortune a week plus add-ons, as is the norm these days, and a job concreting when he hangs the boots up, still on mega bucks, to play for the team I love. His agent said "Sorry Tas, but the window shut last night". He then asked me if I learnt from a short guy called Sully. :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:59 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:40 pm

My hatred is personal......
Fair do's. I'd agree there are some nasty pieces of work about, the dwarf's mate Willie McKay being a good example, but as a whole I guess they're required to get the best deals they can for impressionable kids not long out of school with limited, or no, knowledge of how finance works.

And isn't it strange the dwarf has the likes of McKay, and the lovely Laurence Bassini, among his "business contacts". Tells us all we need to know about the man imo.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Rick_Deckard wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:52 pm "An unprecedented transfer window closed with a record £815m January spend and Chelsea's British record £107m signing of Enzo Fernandez."

so clubs buying safety and points, anything to hopefully try and improve their lot or get out of trouble etc...
my question is a simple one..WTF have we done considering our current table /points position ?
Sullivan has always lived on a wing and a prayer. His just hoping that Moyes has enough there to see us through.

If we did get relegated(Injuries could play a major part here,Aguerd ,Antonio,Ings),nobody would be happy,but they'd love to be a fly on the wall at Sullivan's house if we did go down.It would be all of his own making if we did.