West Ham during Queen Elizabeth II's 70 Year Reign

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

Re: West Ham during Queen Elizabeth II's 70 Year Reign

Post by Ibbyham »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:58 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:22 pm

Indeed as nowaday football is so different than when Elizabeth became a Queen in 1952 as football wasn't about money those day.
But it was still about 11 blokes on each team running around trying to kick a ball into a goal. And there was still a bloke with a whistle, probably doing his best to be the centre of attraction. But the pitches back then would, I imagine, be more resemblant of the Thames Estuary mudflats when the tide was out.

And I bet the fans you see on those old film clips holding their wooden rattles and grinning gormlessly without teeth into a bloody camera would still be calling for the manager to be sacked if they lost a few games on the spin. I've always wondered why everyone, even the bloody kids, in those photos nearly all wore bloody caps. As well as having less than the usual amount of teeth.

Difference was back then the club was usually owned by a local businessman so if you didn't like the way the team was playing you could pop into whatever pub he owned and let him have both barrels.
Wondered what will happened in 50 years time whether clubs will owns by fans of 51% or dozen of trillionnaires buying whatever club they want.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.