Whi was it...

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Re: Whi was it...

Post by eskimo joe »

Don't even know how you can compare yesterday's managers with todays based on their achievements. That, imo, only makes sense when you compare managers from the same era.

Managers from the 70s didn't have to play against teams where just one player can cost more than half of other teams entire squad. The playing field was more equal then but there were outstanding managers then that probably couldn't hold a candle to today's, the likes of Greenwood ,Lyall even Clough would be hard pressed to come out looking as good now as they did then.

It might have been this, it might have been that but times and events have changed, Bannister broke the 4 min mile way back. Today he might be seen as a tortoise.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:41 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 am Funny how everyone forgets the humiliating cup defeats under Greenwood and Lyall.
That’s without the near constant relegation survival
Don't know tyour age Dwayne but I'm old enough to remember hearing calls of "Greenwood out" and "Lyall out" on many occasions at Upton Park over the years.

I wasn't watching in 1966 but, FFS, with 3 world cup winners in the team and I believe a fourth player, Peter Brabrook, good enough to have been named in the original 40 before being cut out of the final 22, doesn't that suggest the management of the club wasn't all that ?

Either that or the rest of the team were fucking shit.
64 ,65 our glory years albeit teams were on relative parity
back then in cup competition then of course 66
Lack of foresight and ambition by our manager and board meant we didn’t build on that side with quality players an unfortunate trait that is still haunting our club

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:05 pm

Don't know tyour age Dwayne but I'm old enough to remember hearing calls of "Greenwood out" and "Lyall out" on many occasions at Upton Park over the years.

I wasn't watching in 1966 but, FFS, with 3 world cup winners in the team and I believe a fourth player, Peter Brabrook, good enough to have been named in the original 40 before being cut out of the final 22, doesn't that suggest the management of the club wasn't all that ?

Lack of foresight and ambition by our manager and board meant we didn’t build on that side with quality players an unfortunate trait that is still haunting our club
A bit like the at the start of the millennium,when we had Ferdinand,Lampard,Cole,Carrick,Defoe and Johnson. .That c*nt Brown has a lot to answer for.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:50 pm

A bit like the at the start of the millennium,when we had Ferdinand,Lampard,Cole,Carrick,Defoe and Johnson. .That c*nt Brown has a lot to answer for.
Indeed mate.
We've always been run by shitcunts.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Can blame Brown, Roeder and Redknapp,

1st sold
2nd got us relegated, poor man management probably made most already want to go,
3rd brought 2nd to the club.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Problem with Greenwood from what I used to hear at the time was he was too much of a nice guy to manage effectively. And then in later years I was gobsmacked to reasd he had the chance of signing Gordon Banks but turned it down because he'd promised someone he would sign Bobby Ferguson. Nothing signed mark you just a promise. Unbelievable lack of foresight.

Boy Scouts always end up as losers.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Problem with Greenwood from what I used to hear at the time was he was too much of a nice guy to manage effectively. And then in later years I was gobsmacked to reasd he had the chance of signing Gordon Banks but turned it down because he'd promised someone he would sign Bobby Ferguson. Nothing signed mark you just a promise. Unbelievable lack of foresight.

Yes had a gentleman’s agreement with Kilmarnock to sign Ferguson in the days that actually meant something.
So Banks was out the equation so to speak.
Had many a run in with Mooro over his drinking and some of the company he kept as well ,Mooro basically telling him to fuck off and mind his own business
Nice chap he may have been which may have something to do with the soft touch we always were ,especially away games.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:38 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Yes had a gentleman’s agreement with Kilmarnock to sign Ferguson in the days that actually meant something.
Had many a run in with Mooro over his drinking and some of the company he kept as well ,Mooro basically telling him to fuck off and mind his own business
Nice chap he may have been which may have something to do with the soft touch we always were ,especially away games.
True. North of Watford Gap the saying went as I recall.

The Ferguson thing ? must admit my response to Ferguson , or whoever the agreement was with. would have been "sorry fellas, the goalposts have shifted. Good job we never signed anything"

And, although player "unveilings" weren't as cheesy then, wlcome Banksy. And who knows what might have been. My recollection of Ferguson was that he was pretty crap. Got replaced by Mervyn Day fairly early in my spectating career. But I also remember him being left out in favour of Peter Grotier which I reckon suggests my original assessment was spot on. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Post by 9898 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:50 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:38 pm

True. North of Watford Gap the saying went as I recall.

The Ferguson thing ? must admit my response to Ferguson , or whoever the agreement was with. would have been "sorry fellas, the goalposts have shifted. Good job we never signed anything"

And, although player "unveilings" weren't as cheesy then, wlcome Banksy. And who knows what might have been. My recollection of Ferguson was that he was pretty crap. Got replaced by Mervyn Day fairly early in my spectating career. But I also remember him being left out in favour of Peter Grotier which I reckon suggests my original assessment was spot on. ;)
Happy to see you've heeded my words and are now posting in a much more civil manner. Thank you and keep it up son. I'm sure you won't get carried away again.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."