Well now David.

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: Moyes here next season or not ?

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:30 am
FlatCapDave wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:00 am

See, I don't think he's overrated at all. In fact, I'd say he was underrated if anything. Once again, it could be because he's not an exotic foreigner, because if any other manager had gotten West Ham United to 6th and 7th in a league that includes Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, and Newcastle they'd be considered a success. Throw in a European semi-final and a European final/potential European trophy? I don't think we'll see those kinds of successes again once he's gone. Not for a very long time.

I am also old enough to remember when he had the Everton job, and you're correct. Nothing has changed. He done the same there as he's doing here. He took Everton to the heady heights of 4th in the league, and counts more finishes in the top ten than outside it. He even took them to the Champions League qualifiers where they lost to Villarreal, and managed to get them into lesser European competitions a few times as well.

I wonder if Everton fans today would trade their current predicament for the results and league finishes under boring old Moyesey?
There’s no denying his record at West Ham when taken at face value or from the outside looking in .
It’s the same argument and stance taken by all pro-Moyesers.
His record domestically whilst at West Ham looks even more impressive based on a 32 game Premier League season .
Moyes out

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave »

Newmarket wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:30 am There’s no denying his record at West Ham when taken at face value or from the outside looking in .
His record domestically whilst at West Ham looks even more impressive based on a 32 game Premier League season .
I guess it comes down to what fans are wanting to see. Sure, his football isn't all that exciting, but if someone had said to me a few years back that we wouldn't be the most exciting team to watch but would be closing out our season with a European final in Prague against Fiorentina I'd have taken that all day long.

Again, the questions I ask those who want him out is who they would like to see replace him? And what exactly do you think someone else will be able to bring that would improve upon his recent record?

Are we wanting a more expansive, exciting brand of football in addition to finishing 6th, 7th, and getting to the latter stages of Europe? If so, we better hope we can uncover the next footballing mastermind, and also make sure we have a succession plan in place, because if we somehow find the manager who can accomplish that, he won't be here very long.

However, I have a feeling that if we let Moyes go we're more than likely looking at a clusterfuck of a recruitment process considering who'd be leading it, which will result in us struggling to survive in the league while we burn through a couple of managers per season for the next few years. We'll be looking back all misty-eyed at this European final and talking about "the good old days."

Truth be told, I'd actually be surprised if we manage to keep hold of Moyes should we win this final. Clubs like Southampton, Leicester, Leeds and even Everton must be looking at what we're doing under him and think "fucking hell, we could do with a bit of what that boring old Scotsman has to offer."

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

FlatCapDave wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:00 am

See, I don't think he's overrated at all. In fact, I'd say he was underrated if anything. Once again, it could be because he's not an exotic foreigner, because if any other manager had gotten West Ham United to 6th and 7th in a league that includes Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, and Newcastle they'd be considered a success. Throw in a European semi-final and a European final/potential European trophy? I don't think we'll see those kinds of successes again once he's gone. Not for a very long time.

I am also old enough to remember when he had the Everton job, and you're correct. Nothing has changed. He done the same there as he's doing here. He took Everton to the heady heights of 4th in the league, and counts more finishes in the top ten than outside it. He even took them to the Champions League qualifiers where they lost to Villarreal, and managed to get them into lesser European competitions a few times as well.

I wonder if Everton fans today would trade their current predicament for the results and league finishes under boring old Moyesey?
There’s no denying his record at West Ham when taken at face value or from the outside looking in .
True enough,. But how else do we judge a manager's success or otherwise if not by his/the team's results ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Think our mistake was listening to his rhetoric " I know where I want us ( West Ham ) to be and I have a plan on how to get there" or words very near.

Yes it takes time but I feel it gets there a lot quicker if you do not stand still or take backwards steps. He progressed in his opening period with us but came to a grinding halt and a step backwards a season an a half after the start of his full season. Good manager?! Could have been if he wasn't stuck so far up his own arse thinking his way was the only way. Needs to concede when things go pear shape and change.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

The poll indicates that the fan base opinion isn’t as unanimous as expected.

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave »

eskimo joe wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:46 pm Think our mistake was listening to his rhetoric " I know where I want us ( West Ham ) to be and I have a plan on how to get there" or words very near.

Yes it takes time but I feel it gets there a lot quicker if you do not stand still or take backwards steps. He progressed in his opening period with us but came to a grinding halt and a step backwards a season an a half after the start of his full season. Good manager?! Could have been if he wasn't stuck so far up his own arse thinking his way was the only way. Needs to concede when things go pear shape and change.
I think most top level managers think their way is the only way. By the time they hit the top level of the game their tactics and approach have worked for them, so it makes sense that they're going to stick with what works. There's very few managers who completely change how they play when it doesn't work for them.

Will we see Klopp adopt a more defensive, Mourinho-style approach next season after Liverpool didn't do well this season? Of course not.

It's worth remembering that while every manager says they have a plan to attain success, and they are working towards it, only a very select few (usually bankrolled by oil-rich nation states) actually achieve those goals.

Again, I ask those who aren't happy with him, what do you see as success? If finishing 6th and 7th in two of the three years he's been here, and reaching a European semi-final and another European final/possibly winning a European trophy isn't good enough, then what is?

Are we talking Champions League knockouts stages? Challenging for the Premiership?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:46 pm Think our mistake was listening to his rhetoric " I know where I want us ( West Ham ) to be and I have a plan on how to get there" or words very near.
Isn't that a mistake fans always make Joe ? Cast your mind back to when the dwarf and Gold were first announced as having an interest in buying West Ham. The forum was visited by a number of Birmingham fans basically warning of the perils we were likely to face if they arrived. The Brum fans were roundly cunted off as being jealous and ungrateful as well as having their parenatge brought into question. A sizeable number of our more gullible fanbase swallowed the G&S line and the rest, as they say, is history. It's not just our club of course. Happens all the time. I've come to the conclusion that running a football club is a bit like politics. Come up with a populist theme, turn it into a sound bite, and watch the gullible hordes follow you to the ends of the earth and beyond.

It's one of the reasons that I'm pleased I tend to be on the pessimistic side of things. We pessimists tend to get nice surprises when our worst fears turn out to be bollocks. But the optimists amongst us tend to get kicked in theirs on the occasions when us miserable fuckers call it right. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:53 am

True enough,. But how else do we judge a manager's success or otherwise if not by his/the team's results ?
Well if my performance dipped year on year, as Moyes has points tally wise my boss would want to know why results have dipped when he had given me a larger budget to work with.
Think I would be out the door before it got that bad tbh.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Towie

Post by Towie »

FlatCapDave wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:03 pm

I think most top level managers think their way is the only way. By the time they hit the top level of the game their tactics and approach have worked for them, so it makes sense that they're going to stick with what works. There's very few managers who completely change how they play when it doesn't work for them.

Will we see Klopp adopt a more defensive, Mourinho-style approach next season after Liverpool didn't do well this season? Of course not.

It's worth remembering that while every manager says they have a plan to attain success, and they are working towards it, only a very select few (usually bankrolled by oil-rich nation states) actually achieve those goals.

Again, I ask those who aren't happy with him, what do you see as success? If finishing 6th and 7th in two of the three years he's been here, and reaching a European semi-final and another European final/possibly winning a European trophy isn't good enough, then what is?

Are we talking Champions League knockouts stages? Challenging for the Premiership?
Year on year improvement, not only in results but player improvement, tactics etc etc.

Surely no one can say he has done this? We are in decline and Europe has masked this.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Towie wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:24 pm
FlatCapDave wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:03 pm

Year on year improvement, not only in results but player improvement, tactics etc etc.

Surely no one can say he has done this? We are in decline and Europe has masked this.
If the footballing gods were to guarantee us 5th next year, providing we retained our current manager, would you take it?