West Ham vs Leicester Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
dorsetdano

Re: West Ham vs Leicester Official Match Thread

Post by dorsetdano »

We did play well yesterday, until we got into their penalty area. Paqueta was trying things, but nothing came off! The biggest inditement of Moyes was that we were down from the 8th minute, but he changed nothing apart form an injury substitution until the 75th minute. Even then all he did was take off Soucek and replaced him with Fornals. We went 2 nil down 2 minutes later, and again he did nothing, apart from looking glummer!

There appears to be no plan B. Most of the players still seem to be playing for him, after we went 2-0 down, Cresswell in particular was really trying to make things happen by continually harrying their players, but Moyes did nothing tactically.

The only real urgency shown in the last 15 minutes was by the team in charge of the PA who put on some deafening music on within half a second of the whistle being blown at the end of the game, to drown out the boos. As usual Declan was the last player to leave the pitch having done his customary slow circuit. Unusually Fornals went straight down the tunnel after shaking a few Leicester players hands.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

dorsetdano wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:08 am We did play well yesterday, until we got into their penalty area. Paqueta was trying things, but nothing came off! The biggest inditement of Moyes was that we were down from the 8th minute, but he changed nothing apart form an injury substitution until the 75th minute. Even then all he did was take off Soucek and replaced him with Fornals. We went 2 nil down 2 minutes later, and again he did nothing, apart from looking glummer!

There appears to be no plan B. Most of the players still seem to be playing for him, after we went 2-0 down, Cresswell in particular was really trying to make things happen by continually harrying their players, but Moyes did nothing tactically.

The only real urgency shown in the last 15 minutes was by the team in charge of the PA who put on some deafening music on within half a second of the whistle being blown at the end of the game, to drown out the boos. As usual Declan was the last player to leave the pitch having done his customary slow circuit. Unusually Fornals went straight down the tunnel after shaking a few Leicester players hands.
Speculation only but Fornals I'm guessing was annoyed with his mistake whichh led to Leicester's second goal. But he would also, imo, be perfectly entitled to have the right royal hump about being left out, again, to accommodate our Brazilian diud. Not Paqueta's fault of course that he is totally unsuited to our style of play but tbh the poor sod is a complete waste of a shirt in the present set up. I've not seen enough of Paqueta to know what his best position is but, ffs, surely our recruitment team and Moyes had some idea what we were buying. And more importantly some idea how to get the best of his abilities, and he obviously has some to have been capped for Brazil so often,working for the team. Otherwise what's the point ?

It's the same with Scammacca. Moyes appears to want him to be another Antonio. A single striker bullying opponents. If he wanted that sort of player he should have intensified his pursuit of Broja , or similar, instead of signing a player who isn't Antonio Mark 2. An identical situation to whan we signed Haller after Maxi Gomez, a totally different type of player, had turned us down.

Joined up thinking it isn't and it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few conversations with agents taking place about finding the exit door in January.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Some may have been wondering , or not of course, about my silence since before the game yesterday.

I was fortunately out all day yesterday. I did However unbelievably manage to avoid any sort of news and social media , which wasn’t easy , in order to be able to watch the game on catch up this morning without knowing the result .

Even that wasn’t easy as the game was repeating on a loop so I could have just as easily tuned in in the 85th minute as the first .
However , unluckily for me , I managed to watch the game from the 6th minute onwards.

And I have absolutely nothing to add except that I am extremely disappointed and dreading the prospect of having to dwell on it for 6 whole weeks before we get mullered at Arsenal .
Sad times indeed . You’d think I’d be conditioned to it by now …
Bring back Jonathon !

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:08 pm Some may have been wondering , or not of course, about my silence since before the game yesterday.

I was fortunately out all day yesterday. I did However unbelievably manage to avoid any sort of news and social media , which wasn’t easy , in order to be able to watch the game on catch up this morning without knowing the result .

Even that wasn’t easy as the game was repeating on a loop so I could have just as easily tuned in in the 85th minute as the first .
However , unluckily for me , I managed to watch the game from the 6th minute onwards.

And I have absolutely nothing to add except that I am extremely disappointed and dreading the prospect of having to dwell on it for 6 whole weeks before we get mullered at Arsenal .
Sad times indeed . You’d think I’d be conditioned to it by now …
I bet nobody noticed :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:28 am
dorsetdano wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:08 am We did play well yesterday, until we got into their penalty area. Paqueta was trying things, but nothing came off! The biggest inditement of Moyes was that we were down from the 8th minute, but he changed nothing apart form an injury substitution until the 75th minute. Even then all he did was take off Soucek and replaced him with Fornals. We went 2 nil down 2 minutes later, and again he did nothing, apart from looking glummer!

Speculation only but Fornals I'm guessing was annoyed with his mistake whichh led to Leicester's second goal. But he would also, imo, be perfectly entitled to have the right royal hump about being left out, again, to accommodate our Brazilian diud. Not Paqueta's fault of course that he is totally unsuited to our style of play but tbh the poor sod is a complete waste of a shirt in the present set up. I've not seen enough of Paqueta to know what his best position is but, ffs, surely our recruitment team and Moyes had some idea what we were buying. And more importantly some idea how to get the best of his abilities, and he obviously has some to have been capped for Brazil so often,working for the team. Otherwise what's the point ?

It's the same with Scammacca. Moyes appears to want him to be another Antonio. A single striker bullying opponents. If he wanted that sort of player he should have intensified his pursuit of Broja , or similar, instead of signing a player who isn't Antonio Mark 2. An identical situation to whan we signed Haller after Maxi Gomez, a totally different type of player, had turned us down.

Joined up thinking it isn't and it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few conversations with agents taking place about finding the exit door in January.
Funny how we see things differently, Pacqueta was the only one trying (too hard?)to make things happen, had plenty of efforts.
I would play him deeper and play Fornals as the 10, but what do I know?
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Towie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:33 pm

Funny how we see things differently, Pacqueta was the only one trying (too hard?)to make things happen, had plenty of efforts.
Already suggested that , and no one listened , doubt it would even enter Moyes's tactical plan , even though Paqueta did well playing deep at Lyon .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

I can recall 3 efforts. One header which Ward saved well, another , easier, chance which he managed to head wide, and a feeble shot which had all the strength of a back pass. May have been others that I missed of course but what I saw was not the performance of a bloke worth £60 million. He may, as you say, have been trying to make things happen but I couldn't for the life of me make out what they were.

That, of course, is not his fault completely. Like Scammaca he is being asked to play in a system to which he is not suited. But , that said, I still don't see what the bloke has to offer that's worth anything close to what we paid for him. Some players, like Payet and diCanio demonstrate instantly they have that special talent from the first moment you see them. Pacqueta hasn't done that for me yet.

But as you say we all see things differently. You saw a player who was maybe trying too hard, I saw one who was already worrying about whether his accommodation in Qatar was going to be to his liking. ;)

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:59 pm

I can recall 3 efforts. One header which Ward saved well, another , easier, chance which he managed to head wide, and a feeble shot which had all the strength of a back pass. May have been others that I missed of course but what I saw was not the performance of a bloke worth £60 million. He may, as you say, have been trying to make things happen but I couldn't for the life of me make out what they were.

That, of course, is not his fault completely. Like Scammaca he is being asked to play in a system to which he is not suited. But , that said, I still don't see what the bloke has to offer that's worth anything close to what we paid for him. Some players, like Payet and diCanio demonstrate instantly they have that special talent from the first moment you see them. Pacqueta hasn't done that for me yet.

But as you say we all see things differently. You saw a player who was maybe trying too hard, I saw one who was already worrying about whether his accommodation in Qatar was going to be to his liking. ;)
Well 3 more efforts than anyone else. 😉
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:13 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:59 pm

Well 3 more efforts than anyone else. 😉
True. Low bar though, isn’t it ? And for £60 million ——- :o

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Anyone know what happened with Antonio on Saturday ?

Spoke to somebody this morning who reckons he just didn’t show at all , no call nothing ?
Bring back Jonathon !