Juan Mata

Chat about anything football related here!
Gonzo

Juan Mata

Post by Gonzo »

Apparently we are being linked with him.

I'm not itk and can't check until tomorrow but unbelievably some are claiming that we are too good for him?

I understand that we may not need him due to Payet & Lanzini but are peoples memories really that short? He's an excellent player.

blackcountryhammer

Re : Juan Mata

Post by blackcountryhammer »

yeah I saw this story as well,if the special one doesn't want him I'd welcome him defo be a good addition to the squad

Newmarket

Re: Juan Mata

Post by Newmarket »

Yep he's be a good step in for Payzini when they get injured ;)
Bring back Jonathon !

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer »

Do we need this position ? No

Can we afford to pass the chance to sign a player of his class? Not sure

Can we afford the cash required knowing other areas of the squad may suffer? Probably not. Unless we sell Enner and Sakho and get cheap (Braithwaite) or loans (calleri) to cover for a season to allow us to get Mata.

Ulsterhammer

Post by Ulsterhammer »

Are we in desperate need to find a player in his position no but we are not now and won't be for a while in a position to turn down a player of his quality! Would depend on th price though as we wouldn't want to use our striker money as that position is much more important right now
Be careful what you wish for

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

There's no doubt that we need creative cover

Just a question of how much of the budget really
Bring back Jonathon !

robelliott17

Post by robelliott17 »

first post on the boards:
positives:
Mata has proven premier league pedigree and is excellent from a creative standpoint. You don't play for Chelsea and Manchester United if you're not up to a certain level. His delivery from a set piece is good (although maybe not Payet class ;) ) and he can unlock defences with a crucial pass or a moment of magic. This is an area we have sometimes struggled in, particularly when Payet and Lanzini had spells on the sidelines.
Negatives
He can go missing in games but that applies to most of the creative players of his type league wide. My main concern with Mata would be his lack of physical game - of course he makes up for it with technique, but in Slaven's counter attacking system his lack of pace may diminish his effectiveness in our system. His lack of size and strength shouldn't really cause any problems because he has been successful at both Chelsea and Manchester United without hitting the gym. Whilst obviously he won't be brought in from a defensive perspective his lack of effort when tracking back may also cause problems. Lanzini and Payet work hard when not in possession - I don't know that Mata has it in him which may be part of the reason Mourinho doesn't rate him.
Verdict
If we have the opportunity to sign him for a reasonable price - I'd take it. Whether he'd be interested in coming or not is another matter - his wages would probably be pretty huge and from a transfer perspective he won't come cheap either. I'd be interested to see how Bilic would accomodate him into the system as I feel too many flair players could leave us exposed defensively. My prediction is the price will be too high (as we are saving budget for other areas) but he will leave. I can see him heading back to Valencia.

WHU_Events

Mata

Post by WHU_Events »

Am I the only one that feels that signing them two in this window would be quality ?

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

robelliott17 wrote:first post on the boards:
positives:
Mata has proven premier league pedigree and is excellent from a creative standpoint. You don't play for Chelsea and Manchester United if you're not up to a certain level. His delivery from a set piece is good (although maybe not Payet class ;) ) and he can unlock defences with a crucial pass or a moment of magic. This is an area we have sometimes struggled in, particularly when Payet and Lanzini had spells on the sidelines.
Negatives
He can go missing in games but that applies to most of the creative players of his type league wide. My main concern with Mata would be his lack of physical game - of course he makes up for it with technique, but in Slaven's counter attacking system his lack of pace may diminish his effectiveness in our system. His lack of size and strength shouldn't really cause any problems because he has been successful at both Chelsea and Manchester United without hitting the gym. Whilst obviously he won't be brought in from a defensive perspective his lack of effort when tracking back may also cause problems. Lanzini and Payet work hard when not in possession - I don't know that Mata has it in him which may be part of the reason Mourinho doesn't rate him.
Verdict
If we have the opportunity to sign him for a reasonable price - I'd take it. Whether he'd be interested in coming or not is another matter - his wages would probably be pretty huge and from a transfer perspective he won't come cheap either. I'd be interested to see how Bilic would accomodate him into the system as I feel too many flair players could leave us exposed defensively. My prediction is the price will be too high (as we are saving budget for other areas) but he will leave. I can see him heading back to Valencia.

Excellent post

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Ulsterhammer wrote:Are we in desperate need to find a player in his position no but we are not now and won't be for a while in a position to turn down a player of his quality! Would depend on th price though as we wouldn't want to use our striker money as that position is much more important right now

Has anyone told you that you look a lot like Steve Lomas mate? :P