Rice

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Rice's Future -- From The Man Himself

Post by Whiskyman »

Decent article this which suggests two things to me. First he's happy at the club, has a good relationship with the manager and reading between the lines if we start to become a regular European contestant and the financial side of things is acceptable he could be with us for a long time. But secondly of course if we continue just making up the numbers he isn't someone who'll be afraid to seek out pastures new.

Although at this moment in time I'll be fucked if I know why he's chosen Manchester United as an example. Unless of course contact has already been made.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ummer.html
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Re: Rice's Future -- From The Man Himself

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:21 am Decent article this which suggests two things to me. First he's happy at the club, has a good relationship with the manager and reading between the lines if we start to become a regular European contestant and the financial side of things is acceptable he could be with us for a long time. But secondly of course if we continue just making up the numbers he isn't someone who'll be afraid to seek out pastures new.

Although at this moment in time I'll be fucked if I know why he's chosen Manchester United as an example. Unless of course contact has already been made.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ummer.html
I'm sure contact was made.

Along with about 50 others considering the need for a complete overhaul at Old Trafford.

When he goes, and I imagine he eventually will, he can do better than that.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

I do worry bout the Chelsea connection in a couple of years tho...
if we're still knocking round 10th...and the Cheats are into CL Qualies...
He Def genuinely loves us,but...

Would he..... :?

And TBH the way Top Table footie is this days...wouldn't slag him off for it.

Jacko1966

Post by Jacko1966 »

If he didn't have ambitions to someday play his club football at the very top, I'd be worried.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Jacko1966 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm If he didn't have ambitions to someday play his club football at the very top, I'd be worried.
Precisely. We can but hope the club shows a similar ambition to join the so called elite so that players of his ability don't have to leave to achieve their dream.

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm
Jacko1966 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm If he didn't have ambitions to someday play his club football at the very top, I'd be worried.
Precisely. We can but hope the club shows a similar ambition to join the so called elite so that players of his ability don't have to leave to achieve their dream.
One can hope, but I’ve always maintained that his growth will exceed our clubs and an improvement to crack the spots between 10-7 ain’t going to keep him here long term. Can we realistically get CL football within 3 seasons? I seriously doubt it unless there’s a massive injection of cash, so that puts us on a longer timeframe to attempt this lofty goal & one that I don’t feel a 25 yr old Rice will be with us for. Still hope he’s the last of this sort & love that his committed to us in the short term. Maybe Noble is his ear is having an effect too!
#fuckqatar2022

h69

Post by h69 »

mkhammer wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am I do worry bout the Chelsea connection in a couple of years tho...

Quite the opposite. Not sure they are flavour of the month with him after he left.

I would see him at a Man City type club if he continues to develop as he will exceed our level at some point but I agree that I would be worried if he showed no ambition and many of the trolls have been on his case now thinking he wants to leave

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

Last edited by Riceascaptain on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Hammertime wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:26 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm

One can hope, but I’ve always maintained that his growth will exceed our clubs and an improvement to crack the spots between 10-7 ain’t going to keep him here long term. Can we realistically get CL football within 3 seasons? I seriously doubt it unless there’s a massive injection of cash, so that puts us on a longer timeframe to attempt this lofty goal & one that I don’t feel a 25 yr old Rice will be with us for. Still hope he’s the last of this sort & love that his committed to us in the short term. Maybe Noble is his ear is having an effect too!
I think the chances of any "non elite" club reaching the CL places is as much to do with what they do as it is with everyone else tbh. Obviously you are correct about investment being necessary but the way Manchester United are carrying on at present has me wondering if they'll finish in the top half, never mind the top 6. As someone pointed out on a thread recently Alderweireld, Vertonghen & Eriksen are all out of contract at Spurs in the summer and if Chelsea drop out of the CL spots, quite likely with their transfer ban, they could find it difficult, particularly if the continuing rumours about Abramovich wanting to sell are true. Although of course that could work to their advantage if a member of the Saudi royal family decides he'd like a new toy.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

h69 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:19 pm
mkhammer wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am I do worry bout the Chelsea connection in a couple of years tho...

Quite the opposite. Not sure they are flavour of the month with him after he left.

I would see him at a Man City type club if he continues to develop as he will exceed our level at some point but I agree that I would be worried if he showed no ambition and many of the trolls have been on his case now thinking he wants to leave
He doesn't want to leave(at the moment)...his said that,quite clearly,and unlike some pro footballers
think you can take Declan at his word..
So unless we collapse really abysmally :shock: :lol:
He's here for this and next year...We struggle and he loses his England spot might have an effect
tho..
Plus got his best Bud Mount at the Cheats.
But TBH we need to forget all this is he/they staying, and get down to concentrating on
this season....they're our players at the moment lets make the most of them..

Side note...always wondered could Declan play as a conventional MFer,more a Nobes type player,
does seem to be getting near being a complete player,not just a defensive orientated one...
He won't get a chance with us at the moment,we have to much there,but as his career progresses,
he might start playing more advanced,maybe more of a Box to Box type player..