Away

Chat about anything football related here!
Optimistic Lee

Away

Post by Optimistic Lee »

I can’t resist exposing some element of my past in order to share a heartwarming experience. Back in the day I delighted to have been employed on match days to supervise the players lounge, dressing rooms and (tiny )gym\warm up area. I also supervised away coaches and trains.

Some of you may recall that during the 90s a couple of days before we played Sunderland there was a terrible mining flood tragedy which caused the death of a number of miners (ashamed to say that I can’t remember the number of deaths)

I made a rash decision to announce to the football train by tannoy that we would be passing through the train to collect on behalf of the bereaved. Amazingly, we collected around £500+ .

On arrival at the train station the three of us decided to spend some of the money on a wreath. How fucking stupid were we? Overtly dressed in navy blazers with a West Ham stitched badge on the left outside pocket, white shirt and claret and blue tie we were sitting targets. The locals quickly gathered and were preparing for an assault. Luckily, a couple of astute cops bundled us three into the van.

I thought that they intended to arrest us for breach of the peace, but once I showed him the bag of cash and explained how we came by it he became Mr Softie. He even made an impromptu stop at a local flower type shop to enable us to buy a wreath.

Things then became a bit blurred. The police van dropped us off at the players/directors entrance. We three were greeted and ushered into the directors area where we were asked to lay our pathetic looking wreath on the centre of the pitch before the game. “Of course” I uttered ( probably stuttered rather than uttered) .

We are now in the tunnel minutes before kickoff and the Roker Roar is ear piercing . The Mackems were thirsting for cockney blood. The tannoy kicks in with an announcement that no fucker could hear and we were pushed towards the pitch.

I fucking shit myself when I realised that most if not all MacKem fans had spotted the three man claret and blue ‘invasion’ onto the sacred turf. No fencing, barely enough security….”we are completely fucked “ I shouted to my mate Tommy above the increasing noise. It was then that we realised that our arrival onto the pitch had not been announced. The cunt of a club announcer hadn’t announced the reason for this apparent ‘West Ham invasion’ until we had reached the centre circle.

Much to our relief, huge applause followed and we trundled back to the edge of the pitch and tunnel to be greeted with .“ you thick twats are you fucking stupid? The players are about to storm out through there. Fuck off to your right, pass both corner flags and exit the pitch through the St John’s camp”

Roker Park was very much akin to Upton Park and I swear we were that close you could smell the farts and breaths of the fans. we began to get a bit of a wriggle on. Probably twenty seconds into the ‘retreat’ I saw these hands being extended with no weapons. I heard : “ fucking hate you cockneys but love you today”; “nobody is normally welcome here but today you cockneys are part of our family” ; “cheers you cockney bastards” and so and so forth.

I have many more memories which you probably can’t be arsed to abide.

A call to all - were any of you on my coach which broke down on the way home from Cremona to Upton Park? If so please help me to take this to the next level
Tough times never last but tough people do

terrya1965

Re: Away

Post by terrya1965 »

Of coarse,we love hearing stories like that.It is what the forum is about.

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am Of coarse,we love hearing stories like that.It is what the forum is about.
Mate too long for the thickos who dont like nothing more than a few words mate.

whu

Post by whu »

Parry Hotter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:19 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am Of coarse,we love hearing stories like that.It is what the forum is about.
moyes out :lol: ;)
Fuck Off Sully, Brady, Moyes. Killing this club by death from a thousand cunts.

Optimistic Lee

Post by Optimistic Lee »

whu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:57 pm

moyes out :lol: ;)
Moyes IN, but only for a good slap around the canister and then fuck him off in a water filled ditch

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Good post - enjoyable read. whufc_crest

Optimistic Lee

Post by Optimistic Lee »

Verbosity killed the cat apparently

Optimistic Lee

Post by Optimistic Lee »

Okay, no takers on the coach trip to Italy for the Anglo Italian cup against Cremonese. I will, therefore, burden you with a further download of fond memories.

I was supervising a coach destined for Italy. I seem to recall that four coaches left Upton Park during 1992. I was supported by a good colleague and friend.

We left the hallowed gates of Upton Park to huge cheers. “ this is gonna be great” I muttered to my friend, he was clearly still somewhat reticent. The coach erupted into several “Bubbles” anthems and other stuff about going over land and sea. When we hit Blackwall Tunnel the acoustics were amazing……proud to be a Hammer.

The ferry crossing was uneventful.

The game was uneventful.

I had a short wave radio to contact the other coaches and all was good. We returned through the Swiss/Italy border with no issues.

The coach driver needed to stop for an obligatory rest period. This stop off point was selling the cheapest booze that you could buy. I managed to secure all the booze in the external locked cabinets. At this point, the travellers had become more noticeably pissed. Good, methinks, we have stacks of Only Fools and Horses videos and the gentle purr of the engine should send most if not all of them off.

I myself was able to grab a few winks before the coach came to a shuddering halt. The driver explained Sorry guv, I have no power”. I take in my surroundings to realise that at some unearthly hour we have managed to break down on the Italian equivalent of the M25. Short wave radio useless because we had become the stragglers and they were way ahead of us.

A mechanic duly arrives, accompanied by his rather flamboyant wife/ daughter. The lads immediately occupy their time and minds by taking the piss. As you can imagine “get your tits out” was a typical term of endearment

An hour later the heavily moustached mechanic fucks off and the coach is still fucked. The fellow travellers are now fucking seething. I ‘allow’ them to disembark to stretch legs and have an alfresco piss (the one bog on the coach had become unserviceable because a log had wedged itself in). I naively kick back. My colleague rudely interrupts my mindless slumber with……”fucking help mate some of these cunts are gonna kill themselves”. Low and behold, the fucking gantry directing traffic to fuck off left to the Italian equivalent of Norfolk is festooned with drunken cunts ( yes, I also fucked up because they were able to access some of the booze in the external cabinets).

Thankfully a huge truck arrives and we are unceremoniously towed to a local garage in the middle of nowhere. At this point, I assert my authority…” stay on the fucking coach. If you leave you can make your own way home”………how pathetic! To my surprise most of them were asleep or couldn’t be arsed. The coach was gingerly pulled onto the ramp.

Driver “ guv, you lot have to get off because the coach is too heavy to
Lift” . I made a quick risk assessment; fucking heavy tools everywhere. This could end up as the next version of Zombie Apocalypse. I had no choice but to usher them off to fuck each other up with heavy duty tools.

At this point one of the crowd yelled that he had spotted a drinking hole at the top of a nearby hill. All those unspent Lira had to be used wisely and off most of them went.

6 hours later, the mechanics declared the coach fit to travel home. Me and my mate trudged up the hill with a due sense of dread. No carnage at all. A West Ham shirt signed by the fans hang proudly behind the bar and the songs rang out. Apparently, they threw all unspent lira into a pot and the owner gave them a free for all. They were all well pissed but happy. On the way back down the hill, some cunt decided that it would be fun to throw a bottle through the windscreen of an oncoming car. I never saw it but I did hear it. He did a runner and the car pulled up alongside us ( West Ham uniforms a bit of a giveaway). Two stocky bouncer types emerged and wanted to take rough justice out on me and Bertie. I knew that we could both handle ourselves ( Bertie eventually went on to become personal security for Spice Girls, Ronan Keeting and others). We took passive aggression and they eventually called the cops.

Me and Bertie were banged up ( fortunately in the same cell) Bertie is now kicking off big time but I could only piss myself (not literally) with laughter. The fucking irony of the two security guards being arrested…..how am I going to explain this to the boss?

Bertie offered to pay compo for the smashed windscreen, which I counselled him against the very notion. Anyway, his offer was rejected out of hand. “ we are fucked matey, and I doubt that there is a British Consulate within a hundred miles of this redneck godforsaken town. Grease your arse and enjoy the ride”. Even he laughed at the gallows humour.

Several hours later we heard a disturbance kicking off within the station. To cut a long story short, once the fans realised that we had been nicked they managed to find the police station with the intention of rescuing us. We discovered that the coach had a whip round to pay for the smashed windscreen ( having beaten a confession from Mr Potato Head). The Italian police beat a hasty retreat and we became free men.

You would be quite right to assume that the excitement ended there. It did not!

On the homeward ferry me and Bertie kicked back over a nice refreshing pint or two. CLICK CLICK…TANNOY ANNOUNCEMENT. “WOULD THE TWO WEST HAM SECURITY GUARDS PLEASE URGENTLY ATTEND AN INCIDENT ON (DECK C?)”

We managed to find the deck to discover that half a dozen of the fans were trying to throw Mr Potato Head over the side. Of course, they were just trying to teach him a lesson and me and Bertie spent the rest of the trip acting as his personal protection officers.

When we eventually arrived back at the hallowed gates, having made a call once we were through Blackwall Tunnel ( no mobiles in that age) 20 + hours late my boss - John Bull- was waiting to greet us. “How come the coach is still,intact?” He asked. “ I hope you don’t expect any overtime”.

The trip was ‘challenging’ but was made easier knowing that I had a good mate by my side. Absolutely nothing compared to what our fellow Brits suffered in mortal combat.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I never had any problems at Sunderland personally. Newcastle was much worse.

The first game after Bobby Moore's death was at Roker Park. They laid a wreath on the centre spot and behaved impeccably. As did Wolves fans btw at the first home game afterwards.

A couple of Mackems shook my hand too on the way out although the dire 0-0 draw we'd watched had done nothing to raise any mood levels. We did get promoted that season though so I reckon the great man had a word upstairs.

Incidentally, Sunderland also played a big part. Going into the last two games it looked as though we were resigned to the play-offs. Newcastle had pissed the league and Portsmouth had been in great form and were likely to get the 2nd automatic promotion spot. But they went to Sunderland (who'd been crap on the pitch) and got beaten 4-1. We beat Swindon 3-1 away the next day and the job was finished at UP beating Cambridge in the last game.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Thought Mr Moon had left the building ?