THE FINAL

Chat about anything football related here!
garnett

THE FINAL

Post by garnett »

Morning Gents,

For those of you who didn`t know, our opponets in Prague Fiorentina were in the Coppa Italia final last night, they were beaten 1 - 2 by Inter Milan who City play in the Champions League final, it was very close, in fact Fiorentina went ahead and missed a sitter to go to extra time.
I hope we had someone there watching as I did last night, I have a sneaky suspicion that their league position doesn`t tell their full story this season.

eskimo joe

Re: THE FINAL

Post by eskimo joe »

I think it foolhardy to base anything on league positions. We all know that in certain situations it brings out the devil in teams. They might have little to gain or lose in the league so can now put their efforts to the CL final, us the same.

We might have been favourites to win it in some people's minds, but sadly not mine. We need to turn up with a solid plan and put complacency out the window. It will not be an easy game for sure.

If we don't win it will be goodbye to European football for at least two to three years. Our team is ok, but not good enough now as it stands for battling for a European spot in the league. And I think if we don't find some better players a d a new approach we might be battling again at the wrong end of the table next season.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

garnett

Post by garnett »

Good post, I agree.
Europe shouldn`t be on our radar although we have no choice should we win, I think people are really underestimating the rebuild the CLUB has.
One thing would be in our favour though, thats the shit rule that you can`t play someone from your own country until the latter rounds, so lets pray for some cattle fodder like we have been used to this season until we meet the other English clubs who I`m reasonably confident we cant beat as we stand.

A 2 final season is some achievement.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I watched the 6 minute highlights. It looked like Inter got men behind the ball second half to protect a one goal lead. Quite a few close shaves. Moyes won't do that, he'll go for the jugular if we're in front.

:lol:

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Fiorentina attack with gusto. If we think we can just turn up we are fucked.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:38 am Morning Gents,

For those of you who didn`t know, our opponets in Prague Fiorentina were in the Coppa Italia final last night, they were beaten 1 - 2 by Inter Milan who City play in the Champions League final, it was very close, in fact Fiorentina went ahead and missed a sitter to go to extra time.
I hope we had someone there watching as I did last night, I have a sneaky suspicion that their league position doesn`t tell their full story this season.
For what it's worth I've seen quite a few highlights from their games this season. Only weekly highlights admittedly but they do have a number of very technically gifted players. Anyone thinking we've only got to turn up to win, including people inside the club, are in for a nasty shock imo.

That's why I was a little bit concerned about the celebrations after the win in Alkmaar. At the risk of being a killjoy wouldn't they have been better off being kept until we'd actually won the bloody thing ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:00 am

For what it's worth I've seen quite a few highlights from their games this season. Only weekly highlights admittedly but they do have a number of very technically gifted players. Anyone thinking we've only got to turn up to win, including people inside the club, are in for a nasty shock imo.

That's why I was a little bit concerned about the celebrations after the win in Alkmaar. At the risk of being a killjoy wouldn't they have been better off being kept until we'd actually won the bloody thing ?
I was of similar thinking. Celebrating like we’d won it. Although obviously it is a pretty big thing just getting to any final.

My concern is Moyes admittance of being surprised by Alkmaar in the 1st leg, which tells me he done fuck all homework and didn’t have a clue what to expect. If we’re going into this final in the same manner, I won’t be surprised if we lose it
COYI!!!

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Fiorentina didn't need to send out any scouts to watch us, as we're so fucking predictable. We've got no plan B and not much of a plan A really.
Italian sides are generally very good technically but can also be very resilient at protecting a lead.
They're also past masters of the cynical side of the game and will generally use every trick in the book to get a result.
Like as been said already, anyone thinking we've only to turn up to win is in for a rude awakening.
If I were silly bollocks I'd be asking Scamacca what to target and how best to beat them.
But being the narcissistic arrogant prick that he is, he would probably see that as being beneath him.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Castiron wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:56 am Fiorentina attack with gusto. If we think we can just turn up we are fucked.
Whos gusto, never heard of him, is he any good ?...we attack with antonio...

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:00 am

Nothing wrong with celebrating reaching the final, Fiorentina also done it in their semi final in Geneva.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.