Slug vs McDullard

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Slug vs McDullard

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:59 am " The West Ham Way "..... A myth or a matter of perspective? I wonder how many under the age of 30 even use that term or have any idea as to what it is alluding to. I doubt that there are many even over that age that could really explain what the West Ham way really was. For me it is more like pre premiership nostalgia when football was more football first. Not today's version where football takes the back seat or at least is secondary to where one sits in the league.

As you get older the tendancy is to look back with nostalgia, we remember mainly the good, it was certainly that that got my continuous support for West Ham, we tend to overlook the dross. It could be the West Ham Way was a way we strived to be, entertaining coupled with success, we never fully got there, we settled for "entertaining" without the success. And we never got entertained every game either.

So really, after all is said, I can't put my finger on what The West Ham way really is other than a nostalgic feeling of wanting things to go back to how they once were. Where we can just be happy with the football. Today's game the package is bigger and contains more than what goes on on the field. And what has gone on recently seems like a far cry away from the pre premiership days.

Name one season this side of the change you would like a rerun! More if you can. I think I can say the Payet one (2016). The rest are blurs only remembered for how dull the football was..
Supporters of my generation (in their 60s) if we are honest will tell you there is no such thing as the West Ham way. We watched a lot of crap during the 70s and 80s just as those younger than us have been sharing it with us since. Greenwood and Lyall had the fans on their back on many occasions during their managerial spells as well let's not forget. Probably proves collectively we're a misearable bunch of old cunts who are never happy unless we're bitching about something.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:22 am
eskimo joe wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:59 am " The West Ham Way "..... A myth or a matter of perspective? I wonder how many under the age of 30 even use that term or have any idea as to what it is alluding to. I doubt that there are many even over that age that could really explain what the West Ham way really was. For me it is more like pre premiership nostalgia when football was more football first. Not today's version where football takes the back seat or at least is secondary to where one sits in the league.

As you get older the tendancy is to look back with nostalgia, we remember mainly the good, it was certainly that that got my continuous support for West Ham, we tend to overlook the dross. It could be the West Ham Way was a way we strived to be, entertaining coupled with success, we never fully got there, we settled for "entertaining" without the success. And we never got entertained every game either.

So really, after all is said, I can't put my finger on what The West Ham way really is other than a nostalgic feeling of wanting things to go back to how they once were. Where we can just be happy with the football. Today's game the package is bigger and contains more than what goes on on the field. And what has gone on recently seems like a far cry away from the pre premiership days.

Name one season this side of the change you would like a rerun! More if you can. I think I can say the Payet one (2016). The rest are blurs only remembered for how dull the football was..
Supporters of my generation (in their 60s) if we are honest will tell you there is no such thing as the West Ham way. We watched a lot of crap during the 70s and 80s just as those younger than us have been sharing it with us since. Greenwood and Lyall had the fans on their back on many occasions during their managerial spells as well let's not forget. Probably proves collectively we're a misearable bunch of old cunts who are never happy unless we're bitching about something.
Of course, but the term or the origin started in Greenwoods day, and as we both stated we saw some real dross football.

It has now become synonymous with good football. So in essence when someone says they want to see football played the West Ham way, what they really mean is they want to see good football. It really isn't a style specific to West Ham only.

All I can really say is I enjoyed the game more then than now. West Ham way or not.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

JayK

Post by JayK »

The way I see the West Ham way is the quick pass and move and giving 100%. The idea Greenwood got from Hungary. Only know this from watching my West Ham video over and over years ago when videos were a thing
COYI!!!

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Of course we will cherry pick the best moments
But some of the football we played under Greenwood and Lyall at times was fucking awful ,we always had a soft underbelly that we never quite got rid of.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

JayK wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:58 am The way I see the West Ham way is the quick pass and move and giving 100%. The idea Greenwood got from Hungary. Only know this from watching my West Ham video over and over years ago when videos were a thing
That was always my understanding of the West Ham “way”.

Of course we’ve not always had the players nor the managers to play that way and I guess my generation always yearns for it sub consciously.

The second part of your post is the important part though Jay .
100% effort has always been a part of it imo and even when the football has been dross the fan base has always appreciated and expected 100% effort from the players .
Ask ex players like (for example) George Parris and Christian Dailly and even Tomas Repka … not the greatest players we ever had but we always appreciated the fact that they would die for the shirt . And they’ll also tell you that if they didn’t put the effort in the crowd would tell them about themselves.
Of course it doesn’t work so well nowadays what with that shithole of a stadium .
Plus the managers’ have a different mindset these days .
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:40 pm
JayK wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:58 am The way I see the West Ham way is the quick pass and move and giving 100%. The idea Greenwood got from Hungary. Only know this from watching my West Ham video over and over years ago when videos were a thing

Of course we’ve not always had the players nor the managers to play that way and I guess my generation always yearns for it sub consciously.

100% effort has always been a part of it imo and even when the football has been dross the fan base has always appreciated and expected 100% effort from the players .
Ask ex players like (for example) George Parris and Christian Dailly and even Tomas Repka … not the greatest players we ever had but we always appreciated the fact that they would die for the shirt . And they’ll also tell you that if they didn’t put the effort in the crowd would tell them about themselves.
Of course it doesn’t work so well nowadays what with that shithole of a stadium .
Mostly true. But there are always exceptions to prove the rule aren't there. Luis Boa Morte alwatsworked his cojones off but was given dog's abuse by the crowd. And on the other hand Stuart Slater dined out for years on the strength of one goal (against Everton I think) and always seemed to get a free pass when he was day dreaming. Which as I recall was often.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Absolutely mate. Julian Dicks summed a lot of that up on his interview the other day didn’t he, including his comments about the stadiums.
COYI!!!

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

JayK wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:44 pm

Absolutely mate. Julian Dicks summed a lot of that up on his interview the other day didn’t he, including his comments about the stadiums.
Yeah, but his opinion isn't worth a wank, apparently.

palerider

Post by palerider »

OZHAMMER wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:56 am

You'll get the full 480 pages plus a book launch in Foyles for that little quip Oz.

JayK

Post by JayK »

OZHAMMER wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:56 am

:lol:
COYI!!!