West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Post by palerider »

Been saying it like forever.

Charlie Adam.

You know it makes sense.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

We having an ageing squad because our manager dosen't like to experiment and bring in young players.He only trusts certain one's and that why we are in the position we are.It lacks pace,but has plenty of experience.Moyes obviously thinks that's the formula to winning,even though we have lost over half our PL Games this season.Half our fan base believe Moyes is doing an amazing job,even though our progress this season is below nil.Of coarse it's fantastic that we have reached a European Final,but we were favourites to win it from Day One.I will give him credit for doing just that though.

Saying that,next season needs a massive rebuild.Losing Rice will be a massive massive blow.We would have finished bottom without him imo.I honestly believe all 3 teams relegated would have with him in their team.For that reason if Moyes stays we will be in big trouble,though I can not trust the board to make the right appointment for us to try and progress has a club.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:22 am
Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:42 am Sorry for the unbridled pessimism,. BUT

Next season will likely be a relegation battle ending in a desecent into the Championship unless there are 3 teams worse than us. The 3 coming up are always a reasonable bet to go back dowm, although this season proved an exception, and to those can probably be added Everton, Forest, Palace, Wolves, if Lopetegui fucks off, and maybe even Brighton if European fixtures and the loss of MacAllister, Caicedo and maybe others prove to be difficult to overcome.

So we have an ageing squad that iwill no longer be able to turn to Rice for help when the going gets tough. I expect Fornals, if Moyes stays, to want out which will mean we will be left with Pacqueta to provide the creativity. And like the kid's cartoon character whose name I can't remember when he's good he's very, very good, but when he's bad----let's just say he's ineffective, If Moyes remains we will have the usual one dimensional, predictable tactical approach to games that has seen our form dip alarmingly in the past 18 months with no indication that a Plan B or Plan C is about to take the Premier League by storm. Of course Moyes might go, but what can we then expect ? I think we all know it will mean another familiar face from the merry go round of managers who have been round the block, and in some cvases are halfway back again.

I keep hoping that some of those people who keep telling us sniffily that "with the squad we've got we shouldn't be struggling" will come up with some decent explanations why they think that. I would love to be convinced I am wrong about our squad being bang average---and getting older. But I'm not holding my breath. A sad state of affairs when, with this league season only just put to bed, the hope is that there just may be 3 teams more crap than us next season to save us from the drop.
All true imo , but think the last paragraph would cause many fans to over react in a not so pleasant manner ( in a similar way when I happened to mention to aquaintances that Noble was past his sell by date ) , personally I totally agree with your comment concerning the squad .
I know football's a game of opinions but for the life of me I just don't get how pwople can see our squad as being a squad that should be challenging for Euro spots. That is not to say we should not be performing better, and players utilised better, but FFS how many of our squad would be sought after by the "B list" players, never mind the big 6 or 7 ?

Not too many I would suggest.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:24 am We having an ageing squad because our manager dosen't like to experiment and bring in young players.He only trusts certain one's and that why we are in the position we are.It lacks pace,but has plenty of experience.Moyes obviously thinks that's the formula to winning,even though we have lost over half our PL Games this season.Half our fan base believe Moyes is doing an amazing job,even though our progress this season is below nil.Of coarse it's fantastic that we have reached a European Final,but we were favourites to win it from Day One.I will give him credit for doing just that though.

Saying that,next season needs a massive rebuild.Losing Rice will be a massive massive blow.We would have finished bottom without him imo.I honestly believe all 3 teams relegated would have with him in their team.For that reason if Moyes stays we will be in big trouble,though I can not trust the board to make the right appointment for us to try and progress has a club.
Now hang on a minute FFS. You have been on record saying that our squad is a good squad. Now you are saying that without Rice we would have been relegated.

Rice or no Rice , good squads don't get relegated. So what is it. A bang average squad, even with Rice, which I, and several others, have said constantly saying. Or a good squad which you maintained not too long ago.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

HamstasParadise

Post by HamstasParadise »

I think the squad is decent and has some depth, but the problem is that with exception of Rice, Pacqueta and Bowen the rest (when fit and available) are fairly interchangeable. So the 2nd XI is OK, almost as good as the 1st XI, which is great for the likes of City, but for us there are not enough superior players to take us far up the league, and we will have one fewer of those before August.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 am Been saying it like forever.

Charlie Adam.

You know it makes sense.
They just don't know talent my learned friend.
To be able to perform on the pitch after a four day binge takes some doing.
Alas we shall never see the Scottish Pirlo in our colours Mon Ami.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:43 am
terrya1965 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:24 am We having an ageing squad because our manager dosen't like to experiment and bring in young players.He only trusts certain one's and that why we are in the position we are.It lacks pace,but has plenty of experience.Moyes obviously thinks that's the formula to winning,even though we have lost over half our PL Games this season.Half our fan base believe Moyes is doing an amazing job,even though our progress this season is below nil.Of coarse it's fantastic that we have reached a European Final,but we were favourites to win it from Day One.I will give him credit for doing just that though.

Now hang on a minute FFS. You have been on record saying that our squad is a good squad. Now you are saying that without Rice we would have been relegated.

Rice or no Rice , good squads don't get relegated. So what is it. A bang average squad, even with Rice, which I, and several others, have said constantly saying. Or a good squad which you maintained not too long ago.
It's not the worst squad but they will all be another year older next year a d another yard slower.

Do you think we would have been relegated if we didn't have Rice then?

It's a shame that you are not this out spoken on KUMB,where you are a lot less critical of Moyes and the team,than on here? Maybe you don't want to get itin the neck from Admin and their lick arse followers? ;)

There is a wink there,so don't go berserk :lol:

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

HamstasParadise wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:03 pm I think the squad is decent and has some depth, but the problem is that with exception of Rice, Pacqueta and Bowen the rest (when fit and available) are fairly interchangeable. So the 2nd XI is OK, almost as good as the 1st XI, which is great for the likes of City, but for us there are not enough superior players to take us far up the league, and we will have one fewer of those before August.
Decent squad ? , we don't even have a decnt starting 11 , We have a converted winger , RB playing up front as a bulldozer lucky to score 10 goals a season in the league , no way is he a decent striker , Ings is well past his sell by date along with Scamacca in a Moyes setup . Our left side Benrahma has his moments but is so inconsistent , Fornals is no better out wide , Cresswell's was decent but is no longer and should have been replaced as 1st choice last season , Emerson average at best , not sure what Cornet offers us , maybe if he was played as a LWB at least he has pace I am informed .
At least we have Bowen on our right , Coufal inconsistent at best , Johnson looks lost , Kehrer looks to be finding his feet hopefully . Our CB's are a accident waiting to happen and I'm not talking about injuries though it is a well known fact they are all susceptible to a few , I suppose at least Aquerd looks to have the potential .
At least we have the likes of Rice and Paqueta in midfield , the exceptional highlights in a otherwise dour squad , Soucek is a donkey , a plodder , haven't seen anything to suggest Downes is going to make the step up ( but then again he really hasn't been given a chance ) .
Fabianski is not a 1st team starter , hugs his goal line far to much looks to be stuck in concrete ( maybe due to his mobility ) and distribution is diabolical . Areola IMO should be starting , has the mobility , speed of thought and distribution in his locker .

Especially when you think our glorious leader just spent almost £200m improving it :roll: :? .
Last edited by Clayton on Tue May 30, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:32 pm
palerider wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 am Been saying it like forever.

Charlie Adam.

You know it makes sense.
They just don't know talent my learned friend.
To be able to perform on the pitch after a four day binge takes some doing.
Alas we shall never see the Scottish Pirlo in our colours Mon Ami.
I fear you're right Mi Amigo.

Such a lack of insight especially as that traitor Rice will fuck off to the first club to show him a bit of leg. The Caledonian De Bruyne could have solved the captaincy problem at a stroke along with a guaranteed 15 goals and 25 assists for the season as well as cracking open the Tennants Super-strength on the coach back from northern shitholes and belt out 'I would walk 10,000 miles' along with the Messiah to cement team morale.

But I suppose we'll be forced to accept some snake-hipped Johnny Foreigner instead.

It boils my piss I can tell ya !
Last edited by palerider on Tue May 30, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:43 am

Just a question. Was the squad that Roeder got relegated with a good squad, mediocre squad or a poor one. Or maybe a case of a shyte manager with very little people skills?

I know some neutrals believe the first.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest