Now its time to reflect and to build on this

Chat about anything football related here!
MalcytheIron

Now its time to reflect and to build on this

Post by MalcytheIron »

We won the Conference League and we are of course massive and should enjoy our celebrations immensely, especially if you've had a lifetime of fortunes always hiding like me.

If you've not heard EX's Patreon piece on Friday do so as this is a piece of quality journalism and sums things up.

Yes we have won this cup and our youths have done us proud too.

But we should not lose sight of the fact that we have had an abysmal league season, 20 league losses isn't good enough in any way, shape or form.

11 wins and 7 draws is quite frankly pitiful and we were quite lucky that there was dross below us this season.

Our away form was awful too only 3 wins all season, although the ones against Fulham and Bournemouth kept us safe imo.

We have an ageing squad and will quite likely lose our skipper during the summer too.

He has been immense for us, dragging us out of the mire on many occasions.

I think we need 2 new full backs , another central defender as Zouma is hugely injury prone , two central midfielders minimum , a proper winger and a maybe two strikers if Scamacca and/or Antonio goes , although I think Mubama has to get his chance next year.

Some of these we could pinch from Alkmaar, Gent and hopefully Fiorentina too and we need to recruit young and hungry players, no more Danny Ings please.

After all we got our Brazilian magnifico from Lyon last season and what a player he is.

What are the chances of this type of recruitment?

Probably slim if we leave it too late which we have done too many times, but at least our win could attract a better class of player to the club.

Only if we do this can we progress and maybe have a chance of domestic silverware next season, but its a very big if.

So lets enjoy the flying high while we can but we need a serious summer rebuild to continue our progress.

CMON on you Riproaring Cup Winning Irons and give us another season to remember

garnett

Re: Now its time to reflect and to build on this

Post by garnett »

Get back to me when the manager is gone.

garnett

Post by garnett »

I have now reflected, I clearly remember one family xmas party around 1966/67ish my fathers brothers having a heated conversation on how WHU didnt invest after the 2 cup wins, I also remenber at school speaking about why we didnt improve the team in 76, and in 1981 terrace talk about lack of finance.
We are now going to sell our best player captain and leader for a kings ransom without thinking who is going to take the reins after him, please tell me how we are going to build on this.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

garnett wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:51 pm I have now reflected, I clearly remember one family xmas party around 1966/67ish my fathers brothers having a heated conversation on how WHU didnt invest after the 2 cup wins, I also remenber at school speaking about why we didnt improve the team in 76, and in 1981 terrace talk about lack of finance.
We are now going to sell our best player captain and leader for a kings ransom without thinking who is going to take the reins after him, please tell me how we are going to build on this.
As a club we'haven't built on anything in the past so I don't really have any belief we are likely to buck that trend anythine soon. Shame, because we appear to have a few good building blocks in the Under 18s who won the F A Youth Cup. Add in a few young players with proven potential, like Lavia at Southampton and Balogun at Arsenal, that one shouldn't be too difficult to engineer into the Rice discussions, and we might see ourselves moving in the right direction. But James Ward Prowse and Kalvin Phillips look to fit our manager's preferred player profile.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:35 pm
garnett wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:51 pm I have now reflected, I clearly remember one family xmas party around 1966/67ish my fathers brothers having a heated conversation on how WHU didnt invest after the 2 cup wins, I also remenber at school speaking about why we didnt improve the team in 76, and in 1981 terrace talk about lack of finance.
As a club we'haven't built on anything in the past so I don't really have any belief we are likely to buck that trend anythine soon. Shame, because we appear to have a few good building blocks in the Under 18s who won the F A Youth Cup. Add in a few young players with proven potential, like Lavia at Southampton and Balogun at Arsenal, that one shouldn't be too difficult to engineer into the Rice discussions, and we might see ourselves moving in the right direction. But James Ward Prowse and Kalvin Phillips look to fit our manager's preferred player profile.
I beg to differ..... :D

Didn't we build on Upton Park....

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

andyginbrasil wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:21 pm

No we didn’t . We flogged it on the cheap to Boleyn Phoenix, a company created virtually the day before and that were located uncannily close to Theydon Bois and wound up shortly afterwards .
In between it was sold onto Galliard Homes and in turn Barrett Homes for a massive profit .

I can’t imagine how that came to pass ….

Here endeth the history lesson.
Bring back Jonathon !

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:12 pm
andyginbrasil wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:21 pm

No we didn’t . We flogged it on the cheap to Boleyn Phoenix, a company created virtually the day before and that were located uncannily close to Theydon Bois and wound up shortly afterwards .
In between it was sold onto Galliard Homes and in turn Barrett Homes for a massive profit .

I can’t imagine how that came to pass ….

Here endeth the history lesson.
I still have all the documents....... As above...and never thought anyone else went along with my suspicions even though it was all there to be investigated

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Nothing will ever take away last week's fabulous time winning the Conference League,especially any fan under 50,giving them their finest moment supporting us.

That's now history and tbh I am a little concerned about the future.No doubt Moyes deserved another year,but for me for us to go forward,I think it was the right time for him to leave.With us being in Europe again,we could attract a more progressive manager and some half decent players.

I think the loss of Rice will be massive,especially under Moyes's tactics.We were totally reliant on him and could have still been relegated.

It can go 2 ways,Moyes gets 4 or 5 in early in the window that suits his style and we improve in the PL. Or he buys late,dosen't get what he really wants and we end up in a relegation dog fight.I fear it could be the latter and that really worries me.

You only have to look at Leicester and you can see this could easily happen.

palerider

Post by palerider »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:53 pm Nothing will ever take away last week's fabulous time winning the Conference League,especially any fan under 50,giving them their finest moment supporting us.

That's now history and tbh I am a little concerned about the future.No doubt Moyes deserved another year,but for me for us to go forward,I think it was the right time for him to leave.With us being in Europe again,we could attract a more progressive manager and some half decent players.

I think the loss of Rice will be massive,especially under Moyes's tactics.We were totally reliant on him and could have still been relegated.

It can go 2 ways,Moyes gets 4 or 5 in early in the window that suits his style and we improve in the PL. Or he buys late,dosen't get what he really wants and we end up in a relegation dog fight.I fear it could be the latter and that really worries me.

You only have to look at Leicester and you can see this could easily happen.
Spot on.

Some are saying a new director of football will make all the difference. And more attacking options purchased will make us a better team.

I disagree. McDullard will continue to treat them with contempt, pick his own favourites and regard crossing the halfway line as a vampire would by opening the curtains to let the sun in.

The cup win was great. But it's now gone. We'll never be a Man City. But their success is based on preparation for the coming season as soon as the final ball of the current season is kicked. You can't rest on your laurels, something we've done too many times in the past.

50% of our team in terms of durability is going with Rice leaving. The only way to have a better league season than the last is for the dwarf to tell Marty Feldman he's no longer required. Very pleased for him at popping his winning something cherry but the future isn't with him in charge.

At least not the future we're looking for.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

this right here, philips JWP a very strong noooooo from me, its a danny ings signing. Look at Arsenal model, young hungry players with a couple of experienced players thrown in. Unlikely to happen under moyes but ffs lets at least give a couple of them more game time. Unfortunately our recent track record is poor, although i will hold my hands up about paqueta played very well last few games (still dont like him trying his tricks and flicks in and around our box tho ;) ). Hopefully a full 2d season sees the best of him.