West Ham vs Newcastle Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham vs Newcastle Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Don't know if anyone else watched the game but there was a very similar incident to the Guimares "non card" foul in the Arsenal v City game yesterday. Mateo Kovacic had been booked, for a worse foul than either of the Guimares ones, and not too long afterwards appeared to commit another, less serious but bookable, foul. Michael Oliver didn't take any action.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:38 pm After the game I switched over to watch the Athletico Madrid game . They were lucky btw , last minute penalty , and then I was searching for an obscure Spanish segunda game (Tenerife) but as I couldn’t find it I reluctantly watched the last half hour of the Arse/Citeh game and you know what ?

The build up for both sides , the tippy tappy passing , back & forth , side to side was SO fucking SLOW and Boring .
When we (and AM) gain position back we are ( now) so quick in transition on the counter attack and (gulp) I find it so much better to watch .
I think that Moyes and Simeone may be on to something 😀
I was chatting to a Brighton fan after the game when they played us this season down at the Amex and he was lamenting the fact that they often have possession for possessions sake (I think it was over 70% in that game) and he was so frustrated that we looked like we could score on every attack.

Yesterday was an entertaining game. We were the better side in the first half, Newcastke upped their game in the second but faded badly towards the end of the game understandably in the heat after a European game. Goals were scored at the time when each team was on top and we could have nicked it at the end.

I enjoyed the game to be honest but the decision to not send Guimaraes off and the soft shoulder to shoulder so called foul on Paquetá were the only downsides for me.
If wr were bindippers we would be marching on Downing Street and demanding a replay.

Good season now as the squad is far more together and Alvarez unlocks the whole midfield to go and play more freely. Rice did the opposite.

palerider

Post by palerider »

If I didn't know better I'd say that Peter Bankes' bank balance is a lot healthier with some Saudi dosh this morning.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

brookingslovechild wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:29 pm
Castiron wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:54 pm
35 % possession against Newcastle at home suggests that it isn't that good a watch for your money.
U want watch 80% posession or result fella. Personally thought we were a good watch 1st half , 2nd they battered us…it happens. City dominated arsenal today and lost to a really shit own goal….whos happier ?
Result to me is everything, couldn’t give a f.about posession.
Have a top Sunday dude.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we salvaged a point, but do I like watching us camped in our own half for a vast majority of a game at home, no I don't.
I think if Isak had put the chance away to make it 3-1, then we could have been looking at another thrashing at the hands of Geordie Arabia.
It was no coincidence that Kudus lifted the whole team when he came on, and we held the ball much better when Soucek went off.
Bowen got into the game more because of his introduction.
We all know, that Moyes dosent really do flair players, and going on his post match chat, I'm not sure Kudus will be starting many games in the Prem for a while.
He might prove me wrong, but I won't hold my breath.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

h69 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:36 am
Newmarket wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:38 pm After the game I switched over to watch the Athletico Madrid game . They were lucky btw , last minute penalty , and then I was searching for an obscure Spanish segunda game (Tenerife) but as I couldn’t find it I reluctantly watched the last half hour of the Arse/Citeh game and you know what ?

The build up for both sides , the tippy tappy passing , back & forth , side to side was SO fucking SLOW and Boring .
When we (and AM) gain position back we are ( now) so quick in transition on the counter attack and (gulp) I find it so much better to watch .
I think that Moyes and Simeone may be on to something 😀
I was chatting to a Brighton fan after the game when they played us this season down at the Amex and he was lamenting the fact that they often have possession for possessions sake (I think it was over 70% in that game) and he was so frustrated that we looked like we could score on every attack.

Yesterday was an entertaining game. We were the better side in the first half, Newcastke upped their game in the second but faded badly towards the end of the game understandably in the heat after a European game. Goals were scored at the time when each team was on top and we could have nicked it at the end.

I enjoyed the game to be honest but the decision to not send Guimaraes off and the soft shoulder to shoulder so called foul on Paquetá were the only downsides for me.
If wr were bindippers we would be marching on Downing Street and demanding a replay.

Good season now as the squad is far more together and Alvarez unlocks the whole midfield to go and play more freely. Rice did the opposite.
H, watched arsenal v city and for all the tikki takki football on show, it was a dreadful watch. I've never really enjoyed peps football, dont know why i just dont enjoy it. If you go back b4 all this posession stuff, utd, liverpool and to a degree arsenal used to play fast attacking footy with a hint of violence :) and it was defo fun to watch. I would equate it to our counter attacking style, albeit its in patches. Wouldn't say im moyes biggest fan but credit where its due the last 3 yrs have been good (last year not in the league but the end was magnificient).

Make you right on Alvarez perosnally think hes been our best buy in a while and judging by soucheks goals its worked much better for us. Kudos looks the real deal as well , just hope he gets game time.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:28 am
h69 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:36 am

H, watched arsenal v city and for all the tikki takki football on show, it was a dreadful watch. I've never really enjoyed peps football, dont know why i just dont enjoy it. If you go back b4 all this posession stuff, utd, liverpool and to a degree arsenal used to play fast attacking footy with a hint of violence :) and it was defo fun to watch. I would equate it to our counter attacking style, albeit its in patches. Wouldn't say im moyes biggest fan but credit where its due the last 3 yrs have been good (last year not in the league but the end was magnificient).

Make you right on Alvarez perosnally think hes been our best buy in a while and judging by soucheks goals its worked much better for us. Kudos looks the real deal as well , just hope he gets game time.
The Arsenal/City game was one of the most boring games I have seen this season, real let down.I was falling asleep.City without Rodri and Grealish seem to lost that bounce of confidence.It happens to any team at some point and Arsenal were lucky to have caught them at this moment in time.I actually would be more confident of getting a result this year against them,than last year.They are nothing special.

Give me a Liverpool/City game every time for Entertainment and passion.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Having thought at the game the ref was having a shocker in not sending Guimares off.

I was wrong it was even worse than a shocker, downright cheating.

Guimares should have gone 2 yellows. That is clear and obvious!
Tonali fouled Pacqueta for that free kick leading to a goal, not the other way around.
Aguerd pushed in back for 2nd goal, a similar foul for Luton striker goal was disallowed.
Emerson booked for signalling yellow card, Almiron was not.

To many inconsistencies in one game favouring one team? Cheating!
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Towie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:48 pm Having thought at the game the ref was having a shocker in not sending Guimares off.

I was wrong it was even worse than a shocker, downright cheating.

Tonali fouled Pacqueta for that free kick leading to a goal, not the other way around.
Aguerd pushed in back for 2nd goal, a similar foul for Luton striker goal was disallowed.

The fuckwit was consistent in his fucking ineptitude to referee a football match I’ll give the useless cunt that.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:48 pm
The second was a definite yellow but imo the first was a "nothing" foul. Having said that the ref should have issued a second yellow. But if we're going to start seeing yellows like the first one in every game we'll soon be seeing games ending up as 8 against 8.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other imo. So thr ref should have allowed play to continue.
REALLY !! Looked to me as if Aguerd did what Aguerd does. Lost the flight of the ball as it came across.
I'll be kind to the ref on this one and assume he just didn;t see Almiron's action. But there are two linesmen as well, and a fourth official, Should have been seen. Btw what exactly does the fourth official do apart from hold up boards with numbers on ?

Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:54 pm
Towie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:48 pm
The second was a definite yellow but imo the first was a "nothing" foul. Having said that the ref should have issued a second yellow. But if we're going to start seeing yellows like the first one in every game we'll soon be seeing games ending up as 8 against 8.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other imo. So thr ref should have allowed play to continue.
REALLY !! Looked to me as if Aguerd did what Aguerd does. Lost the flight of the ball as it came across.
I'll be kind to the ref on this one and assume he just didn;t see Almiron's action. But there are two linesmen as well, and a fourth official, Should have been seen. Btw what exactly does the fourth official do apart from hold up boards with numbers on ?

Clear push on Aguerd. Watch again. Having said that, if h had concentrated on actually winning the ball instead of sticking his hand up for offside and playing to the whistle, he may have intercepted the cross