AFCON

Chat about anything football related here!
Flairon

Re: AFCON

Post by Flairon »

Ibbyham wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:03 pm a couple of our players, including Kudus will be away next month.

Does anyone know when Kudus will be available for West Ham IF his country Ghana went all the way though?
No. 😂
Flairon

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

garnett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:58 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:33 am

Imo if we can offer him Europoean football he stays, if not he'll want out. Understandable.
Of course it's understandable, we're only a stepping stone club european football or not, it's what's wrong with our recruitment policy imo, no long term strategy.
I am not sure our recruitment policy sets out to sign players that wish to move on to a bigger club tbh. Surely that is a natural pecking order type of deal. Let's be honest, we lost Rice to Arsenal because he wants to win things. It is surely natural that an overseas player would want to join a club like Liverpool if the opportunity arose. That is more of a natural pecking order type of thing rather than a flaw in our recruitment policy.
Flairon

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Flairon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:33 am
garnett wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:58 am

Of course it's understandable, we're only a stepping stone club european football or not, it's what's wrong with our recruitment policy imo, no long term strategy.
I am not sure our recruitment policy sets out to sign players that wish to move on to a bigger club tbh. Surely that is a natural pecking order type of deal. Let's be honest, we lost Rice to Arsenal because he wants to win things. It is surely natural that an overseas player would want to join a club like Liverpool if the opportunity arose. That is more of a natural pecking order type of thing rather than a flaw in our recruitment policy.
Have to agree, it will be a long long time before, if ever, we can become a club with the drawing power of the likes of Liverpool, manure etc. No reason though not to use these players whilst giving them a stepping stone. Done right it too could have it's benefits. Gone are the days of a stable side where faces change rarely.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:13 am
Flairon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:33 am

Have to agree, it will be a long long time before, if ever, we can become a club with the drawing power of the likes of Liverpool, manure etc. No reason though not to use these players whilst giving them a stepping stone. Done right it too could have it's benefits. Gone are the days of a stable side where faces change rarely.
Don't agree with all that tbh. Being an attractive destination for players changes doesn't it ? A few years ago if Man United came calling for the likes of Alvarez and Kudus it would have been a no brainer for them to say yes. But now ? At this particular monent in time I would say West Ham look a better bet than Man United, and for that matter, Chelsea.

Obviously that can all change but a significant part of the relative attraction is the promise of European football which puts players in a bigger shop window. You are spot on about the stable side argument of course but imo it's all about self betterment, just as it is in any walk of life for someone who has ambition. If we can remain one of the European participants it at least keeps us on the list of potential employers for prmising up and comers.

Obviously still way behind the clubs who can actually win their domestic leagues or the big one, the CL, but a good run in the Europa League is now seen as something very worthwhile. There's very much a hierarchy of competitions now, just as there is with clubs, the CL is top of the heap with the domestic league titles running next. Then comes the Europa League, probably a distant third, with the Conference and F A Cup, or another country's equivalent, huffing and puffing for the honour of finishing next in the importance stakes. The Mickey Mouse cup ? Fell coming out of the starting gate. No other country has one of those since France binned theirs and the sooner we follow their lead and put the bloody thing down humanely, or make it a competition where PL teams field their U21s, the better imo..

So all we've got to do to stay up there is get to the Europa final. Piece of piss. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:11 pm Hopefully his mob are knocked out early so end of January time would be nice.
Ahem

8-)

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:03 am
eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:13 am

Don't agree with all that tbh. Being an attractive destination for players changes doesn't it ? A few years ago if Man United came calling for the likes of Alvarez and Kudus it would have been a no brainer for them to say yes. But now ? At this particular monent in time I would say West Ham look a better bet than Man United, and for that matter, Chelsea.

Obviously that can all change but a significant part of the relative attraction is the promise of European football which puts players in a bigger shop window. You are spot on about the stable side argument of course but imo it's all about self betterment, just as it is in any walk of life for someone who has ambition. If we can remain one of the European participants it at least keeps us on the list of potential employers for prmising up and comers.

Obviously still way behind the clubs who can actually win their domestic leagues or the big one, the CL, but a good run in the Europa League is now seen as something very worthwhile. There's very much a hierarchy of competitions now, just as there is with clubs, the CL is top of the heap with the domestic league titles running next. Then comes the Europa League, probably a distant third, with the Conference and F A Cup, or another country's equivalent, huffing and puffing for the honour of finishing next in the importance stakes. The Mickey Mouse cup ? Fell coming out of the starting gate. No other country has one of those since France binned theirs and the sooner we follow their lead and put the bloody thing down humanely, or make it a competition where PL teams field their U21s, the better imo..

So all we've got to do to stay up there is get to the Europa final. Piece of piss. ;)
Well we will see what this season produces, but i wont hold my breath. The only way i see us qualfying for europe is via the league and come march we will see if.the wheels start falling off. Personally i think this seasons europa isnt quite as open as the one we previously entered.

So not qualifying. for europe would put us in a less attractive position tan manure if they didnt either. But that is just my opinion.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:13 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:11 pm Hopefully his mob are knocked out early so end of January time would be nice.
Ahem

8-)
Kudos

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:23 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:03 am

Well we will see what this season produces, but i wont hold my breath. The only way i see us qualfying for europe is via the league and come march we will see if.the wheels start falling off. Personally i think this seasons europa isnt quite as open as the one we previously entered.

So not qualifying. for europe would put us in a less attractive position tan manure if they didnt either. But that is just my opinion.
Agree with you about our European qualification chances. Out of curiosity who do you see as favourites for it ? I would go fpor Liverpool from the batch originally starting out in the Europa but if I was a betting man I might be tempted to have a cheeky pony on Galatasaray from the lot that dropped from the CL. Leverkusen are a decent shout as well. Tearing it upo in the Bundesliga although tbh I keep waiting for the wheels to come off. Leverkusen have a bit of history in that respect,

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:40 am
eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:23 am

Agree with you about our European qualification chances. Out of curiosity who do you see as favourites for it ? I would go fpor Liverpool from the batch originally starting out in the Europa but if I was a betting man I might be tempted to have a cheeky pony on Galatasaray from the lot that dropped from the CL. Leverkusen are a decent shout as well. Tearing it upo in the Bundesliga although tbh I keep waiting for the wheels to come off. Leverkusen have a bit of history in that respect,
Have to agree with your two choices, Liverpool being my first. For some reason im drawn to Villereal as an outside chance

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:46 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:40 am

Have to agree with your two choices, Liverpool being my first. For some reason im drawn to Villereal as an outside chance
Villarreal are doing appallingly in La Liga this season so, despite their decent record in Europe over the years, I don't expect them to go too far in the competition tbh.