If there was no FFP

Chat about anything football related here!
exhammer

Re: If there was no FFP

Post by exhammer »

Theres good things and bad things about it aint there. It stops country owned clubs going bonkers but it stops people like the Blackburn bloke years ago doing what he did.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

It might’ve stopped the Icelandics from buying a whole heap of shit as well.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Probably an age thing but the whole of football has gone to shit as far as I’m concerned.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:47 pm Probably an age thing but the whole of football has gone to shit as far as I’m concerned.
Have to agree, back in the day ( when i was a lad😉) football was more , shall we say, even, it was mainly played on a saturday and midweek. Money didnt bring you success, well not to my memory, and the only live games on the box were finals, including the WC. Otherwise you got your chance for a second viewing via M.O.T.D on satutday or the Big match on a sunday. Now you get it until it comes out your ears and any lustre it once held has generally been hogged by the big boys., and killed by the rat race.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:21 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:47 pm Probably an age thing but the whole of football has gone to shit as far as I’m concerned.
Have to agree, back in the day ( when i was a lad😉) football was more , shall we say, even, it was mainly played on a saturday and midweek. Money didnt bring you success, well not to my memory, and the only live games on the box were finals, including the WC. Otherwise you got your chance for a second viewing via M.O.T.D on satutday or the Big match on a sunday. Now you get it until it comes out your ears and any lustre it once held has generally been hogged by the big boys., and killed by the rat race.
Completely disagree with you about t v football. As you rightly say you can now watch live football on the box pretty much whenever you want, and not just games played in this country or by only the very top teams., But you "only get it un til it comes out of your ears" if you CHOOSE to watch it. It's not compulsory to watch. Back in the day if people couldn't afford to attend matches or take their kids that was it. You couldn't watch a live game apart from when a tournament came around every couple of years.

Us lot who vcisit these forums were lucky enough to be able to afford to go. Away games as well following our chosen teams but when I look back on those days I certainly don't do so with any degree of thinking how bloody great it was. A lot of games were played on pitches more resembling Southend with the tide out than a football pitch. Skilful players were regularly kicked out of matches by talentless thugs like Ron Harris, not to mention the bloody Leeds team of the early 70s. And would any of us, as parents, have allowed our kids to go and stand in a craphole of a ground, surrounded, if they were unlucky, by a mob of knuckledraggers more interested in a ruck than what was happening on the pitch? Remember the old Shed at Chelse, with that khazi at the top and piss often running down the bloody terraces ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:32 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:21 pm

Completely disagree with you about t v football. As you rightly say you can now watch live football on the box pretty much whenever you want, and not just games played in this country or by only the very top teams., But you "only get it un til it comes out of your ears" if you CHOOSE to watch it. It's not compulsory to watch. Back in the day if people couldn't afford to attend matches or take their kids that was it. You couldn't watch a live game apart from when a tournament came around every couple of years.

Us lot who vcisit these forums were lucky enough to be able to afford to go. Away games as well following our chosen teams but when I look back on those days I certainly don't do so with any degree of thinking how bloody great it was. A lot of games were played on pitches more resembling Southend with the tide out than a football pitch. Skilful players were regularly kicked out of matches by talentless thugs like Ron Harris, not to mention the bloody Leeds team of the early 70s. And would any of us, as parents, have allowed our kids to go and stand in a craphole of a ground, surrounded, if they were unlucky, by a mob of knuckledraggers more interested in a ruck than what was happening on the pitch? Remember the old Shed at Chelse, with that khazi at the top and piss often running down the bloody terraces ?
Agreed it is not as hostile nowadays as it was, but football is becoming more, how shall we put it, sterile. pitches are tip top, money is so so much better, , gone are the days when a professional had to have a second career to fall back on.. Guess itis as D.P says an age thing, but football just doesnt feel the same or as good, and i dont mean playing wise. It feels like it has lost some of its soul
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest