West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Towie

Re: West Ham vs Arsenal Official Match Thread

Post by Towie »

Clayton wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:31 am
Towie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:58 am I must be a true supporter as I stayed till the bitter end, but I don’t blame anyone for walking yesterday at half time.
A true supporter , or just a glutton for punishment .
Yes, definitely the latter, but Chris Sutton has slated West Ham fans and said no true supporter would leave at half time.
He should try watching it week in week out.

Palace
Sheff Utd 2nd half
Brighton
Bournemouth
Everton
Arsenal
Man Utd first half

All the worse kind of football.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Towie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 am

Yes, definitely the latter, but Chris Sutton has slated West Ham fans and said no true supporter would leave at half time.

Palace
Sheff Utd 2nd half
Brighton
Bournemouth
Everton
Arsenal
Man Utd first half

My sentiments also , having to watch it week in and week out , it's soul destroying.

WelshIron

Post by WelshIron »

Towie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 am

Palace
Sheff Utd 2nd half
Brighton
Bournemouth
Everton
Arsenal
Man Utd first half

All these bloody pundits are at it, even yesterday the commentator and pundit (forgot his name as he was such a wanker I didnt care) on teh radio were slating us and praising moyes, at 6-0 down... The love-in with the sweaty sock doesnt make any sense to me.

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 am
brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:24 am thank fuck i missed the majority of that record breaking shit show.
All i would say is ....please not mourinio.
Will never happen. Can you imagine Mourinho working with the dwarf? But, seriously, if the opportunity arose why would you not want a serial winner, who has won tropohies at every club he's been at, apart from Spurs where he was sacked days before a final. Someone like him might be a good short term, for that's what he is, to give the club a good old fdashioned kick up the arse. Wouldn't be in my top 3 choices if I was in charge of managerial appointments but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at him.
maybe until end of the season Whisky but think hes a busted flush and these days seems to fall out with/get booted quite quickly. Serial winner back in the day for bigger clubs but not really in recent times and not sure his style of footy is greatly different to what we are seeing.
Gary o'neil i like and potter is still knocking around albeit with a slightly dented rep. Dont really know much about anyone thats not in the current prem.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:58 am I must be a true supporter as I stayed till the bitter end, but I don’t blame anyone for walking yesterday at half time.
I'll go with the true supporter line. Something about "fair weather" or"thick and thin" I think it goes. I donb't go anymore but when I did I could never see the point of leaving early tbh. I used to go to watch two teams playing in a football match and whilst it ws obviously more enjoyable if my time was playing well and handed out a good old fashioned hammering to someone it was still possible to appreciate good football if the boot was on the other foot.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:08 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 am

Will never happen. Can you imagine Mourinho working with the dwarf? But, seriously, if the opportunity arose why would you not want a serial winner, who has won tropohies at every club he's been at, apart from Spurs where he was sacked days before a final. Someone like him might be a good short term, for that's what he is, to give the club a good old fdashioned kick up the arse. Wouldn't be in my top 3 choices if I was in charge of managerial appointments but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at him.
maybe until end of the season Whisky but think hes a busted flush and these days seems to fall out with/get booted quite quickly. Serial winner back in the day for bigger clubs but not really in recent times and not sure his style of footy is greatly different to what we are seeing.
Gary o'neil i like and potter is still knocking around albeit with a slightly dented rep. Dont really know much about anyone thats not in the current prem.
He's always been short term and falls out with people in the end. But a busted flush? Won a trophy with Roma, his most recent job, to go with all the others he's gathered in his time. And I'd rather have a serial winner at the helm than the collection of serial losers we have always seemed to attract at the club, Pellegrini apart, and can probably look forward to again once Moyes eventually departs.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:11 pm

I'll go with the true supporter line. Something about "fair weather" or"thick and thin" I think it goes. I donb't go anymore but when I did I could never see the point of leaving early tbh. I used to go to watch two teams playing in a football match and whilst it ws obviously more enjoyable if my time was playing well and handed out a good old fashioned hammering to someone it was still possible to appreciate good football if the boot was on the other foot.
So would you have sat through the second half knowing with certainty what you were going to be sitting through? If it were me it wont matter if we are losing or are losing and havent got a chance to win ( although not beyond the realms) i would remain if i knew we sould at least not have to suffer a sit back and keep the score down game..
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:09 pm

So would you have sat through the second half knowing with certainty what you were going to be sitting through? If it were me it wont matter if we are losing or are losing and havent got a chance to win ( although not beyond the realms) i would remain if i knew we sould at least not have to suffer a sit back and keep the score down game..
I've already answered that question if you rtad the post. I never left a game early and, although never having seen a 0-6 home defeat I have sta through many utter debacles at Upton Park over the many years I did go. One particularly grim poeriod saw us lose 0-4 at home twice in quick succession, against Everton and Sheffield Wednesday if memory serves. The only 0-6 reverse I have witnessed was at Goodison.

That is not to claim that I am a "better supporter" than those who did othgerwise, it was simply a matter of personal choice. I enjoy football and am capable of appreciating good football even if it's being played by our opponents. Seems dsaft to me paying good money to go to a game and missing a huge chunk of it. But horses for courses.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

The fact that we have been set up not to lose ( IMO ) , the lack of possession , players out of position , taking off those players like Fornals and ocassionally Benrahma when they were playing well , getting certain players playing in strange positions they are best not suited to , no plan B , the use of the bench or lack of it . Would even add poor dealings in the transfer market and a poor run of results I think would get to any true supporter eventually .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:47 pm

The fact that we have been set up not to lose ( IMO ) , the lack of possession , players out of position , taking off those players like Fornals and ocassionally Benrahma when they were playing well , getting certain players playing in strange positions they are best not suited to , no plan B , the use of the bench or lack of it . Would even add poor dealings in the transfer market and a poor run of results I think would get to any true supporter eventually .
Agree with all the above. But the faults you outlined are long standing and well known. They did not suddenly manifest themselves on Sunday afternoon. Had I still been a matchgoer I would certainly have not renewed my season ticket at the end of last season given the turgid nature of the performances. But during the previous season, on which I would have based my decision not to renew, I cannot envisage a situation where I would have left the game early. Which was where this topic was headed following Towie's post.