Reece must stay (no, the other one)!

Chat about anything football related here!
one_bobby_moore

Reece must stay (no, the other one)!

Post by one_bobby_moore »

With all the hype around
Mr Oxford, it seems the focus has gone from a young no man who has performed so well on loan, he's been voted player of the year at Bradford.
Young Burke should be looking to get game time at West Ham after the season he's just had, but I worry that he will be another "academy casualty" and leave due to the lack of first team opportunities. Oxford has been given them and had varying degrees of success. Great vs arsenal, disaster vs Everton, but he's still very young. Burke may be a bit more conditioned to the physical challenge having spent a year battling the journeymen aggressive lge1 forwards.

His agent will probably be telling him to go to get game time, and it will be a shame as unlike moncur, Lee, Potts etc before him, I believe he could do a good job for us.

Lee complained of his lack of opportunities, but he did nothing to warrant a chance when on loan, Burke has won POTY.

I can understand if he went, but it would be a big mistake if we let that happen IMO.

Newmarket

Re: Reece must stay (no, the other one)!

Post by Newmarket »

Plenty of hype about plenty of our youngsters at the moment but it remains to be seen whether any game time will be forthcoming , save the Europa Qualifiers or League cup.

Even that will probably depend on the opposition .
I for one am sceptical.
Bring back Jonathon !

Towie

Post by Towie »

Who you going to drop in to play Burke, I'm all for giving young players a game especially home grown. But let him prove himself in Europa games first.
The step up from 1st div to pl is immense.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

JustLikeMyDreams

Post by JustLikeMyDreams »

Lets wait and see which of the players can make the step up to the first team!It really is a lot harder for young players to work a way in nowadays at clubs.
Rashford at man Utd hit the ground running,without the injury problems at man Utd he would have been still in the u21s waiting for his chance!Not at the Euros.
I hope one of our lads hits the ground running in the Europa comp like Kane did for spuds.They then will be in Billics thoughts for a chance in the premiership.Then it is down to the player to grab it with both hands.

garnett

Post by garnett »

Afternoon,
Just how professional is young Burke being, not listening to any hype, just getting on quietly with the job he has been asked to do, and by the understanding, doing it bloody well.

Just how good he could become no one knows, but if his attitude is anything to go by, he may not become a superstar but he won't let anyone down either, I wish this fella well.

redhammer
Site Admin

Post by redhammer »

He did step up the end of the season before last. Granted it was only a handful of games but he showed plenty of ability and kept strikers like Austin at bay (who was banging them in that season)

I believe his dad is the one being a bit troublesome regarding Reece signing a new deal over how much game time his son will get. And I can understand, actually good to see a youngster more concerned about the football minutes and not signing a deal and picking up a wage increase.

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

It is a real problem in the Prem. Name me a young British Centre Back getting game time anywhere in the Prem. Stones who is supposedly the new Bobby Moore by all accounts, has started only a handful of games this last season and there is no one else under 24 as far as I can see! I refuse to believe that there are no decent young kids anywhere who can play at the back.

If memory serves me right Burke is pretty nippy and could fill the right back berth, mat=ybe for a year or two, although I'd still like us to try and persuade Coleman to join

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

dorsetdano wrote:It is a real problem in the Prem. Name me a young British Centre Back getting game time anywhere in the Prem. Stones who is supposedly the new Bobby Moore by all accounts, has started only a handful of games this last season and there is no one else under 24 as far as I can see! I refuse to believe that there are no decent young kids anywhere who can play at the back.

If memory serves me right Burke is pretty nippy and could fill the right back berth, mat=ybe for a year or two, although I'd still like us to try and persuade Coleman to join
It's not just centre backs though is it Dan ? It's young English talent in general .
There's the young boy at West Brom , whose name escapes me , and before that there was Sterling but really nobody else has really come through bar Rashford recently .

It would be great to see young Samuelson play first team next season but the fact is he couldn't get in the posh team a lot of the time .
Bring back Jonathon !

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

Newmarket wrote:
dorsetdano wrote:It is a real problem in the Prem. Name me a young British Centre Back getting game time anywhere in the Prem. Stones who is supposedly the new Bobby Moore by all accounts, has started only a handful of games this last season and there is no one else under 24 as far as I can see! I refuse to believe that there are no decent young kids anywhere who can play at the back.

It's not just centre backs though is it Dan ? It's young English talent in general .
There's the young boy at West Brom , whose name escapes me , and before that there was Sterling but really nobody else has really come through bar Rashford recently .

It would be great to see young Samuelson play first team next season but the fact is he couldn't get in the posh team a lot of the time .
Agreed it is a generic problem, but it is particularly bad at Centre Half. There are not enough English players, but they are trickling through in all of the other positions even in goal Butland was playing regular Prem football at 22. Part of Samuelson problem is that he appears to be still developing physically and if that is the case they probably aren't bulking him up yet, as a consequence he was used spasmodically by Posh. When he was used as in the FA Cup against the Baggies he was outstanding; he is a side issue also of course being Norwegian.