Newcastle v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Taansend

Newcastle v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Post by Taansend »

Saturday will see an epic clash between two Premier League teams, each of whom has a rich & storied history in the footballing world, each with it's own unique, passionate & respected fan base....

And each one without a solitary point so far this season :?

But first, let's have a look at why Newcastle is so special.

Before Christianity had a grip Newcastle was an important part of the Roman Empire in England, being situated at the Western End of Hadrians Wall. After that came the Saxons & three kings battled for control of the region, Bretwalda, Edwin of Deira & Oswald of Bernicia. This started a golden period in North East England with Northumbria being known as a beacon of culture & learning across Europe.

And then came the Vikings.

They raped & pillaged & pillaged & raped, destroying the Abbeys & centres of learning.

The Normans rebuilt the area, keeping it as their northern fort in the constant battle against the Scots, although for around 20 years in the 12th century it was under Scottish rule.

Fast forward to today & Newcastle is known for it's welcoming ladies & tubby, jovial men who like nothing more than to strip their clothes off in sub zero temperatures.

Newcastle is also one of the driest cities in the UK.

2% of Geordies also claim to be Chinese. The same number for Black. I have no data on the number of Black Chinese Geordies though.

Our first match against Newcastle came in February 1908 when they beat us 2-0 away in the FA Cup. Can you imagine the journey back in those days? I suppose it was trains but it couldn't have been easy.

Our first FIVE games against them were all in the FA Cup. Since 1915 we've never met them in any cup competition.

We only won 1 of our first 9 games against them, a 1-0 win at home in 1923.

Since then they've generally had the better of us winning roughly 3 games for every 2 we win, with plenty of draws. In fact our over all record against them is 40 wins, 37 draws & 52 losses.

In the Premier League era we've lost 18, won 11 & drawn 11.

In March 1979 we beat them 5 nil when our line up consisted of Phil Parkes John McDowell Paul Brush Alvin Martin Billy Bonds Frank Lampard (Snr) Trevor Brooking Alan Devonshire Pat Holland David Cross Bryan Robson. McDowell (2), Lampard, Robson & Devonshire got the goals.

We also beat then 8-1 in 1986 when Alvin Martin grabbed a hat-trick with Goddard, McAvennie, Stewart, Orr & Own Goal grabbing the goals.

Who was there that day?

As for this weekend, I know that Reid will miss out. I think Lanzini is still out. As is Carroll. We'll also be missing the lanky Muppet after his stupid actions at the weekend.

Sakho will be pushing for more playing time & we have lots of players pushing for a start in midfield.

Hopefully Antonio will be fully match fit as he's our most creative player at the moment.

I expect our line up to look something like....

Hart (unless Adrian has a blinder tonight)
Zab Fonte Ogbog Cresswell
Rice Noble
Antonio Haka Ayew
Chicharito

Obviously I'm going out on a limb with the Swedish lad but I have a sneaking suspicion he'll get some time.

Newcastle have lost at home to Tottenham & away to Huddersfield so not really any major shocks either way. Ditto with us in losing at Old Trafford & Soton but both sets of fans have plenty to grumble about in regards to performances.

But we now have a fantastic goal scorer off the mark & I expect the Mexican to score another brace in a 2-1 win.

Up the Hammers :D

Taansend

Re: Newcastle v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Post by Taansend »

Geos betting preview

https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Match preview

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who are ya

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Review

Stream links

http://ironstv.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hammerstv.com/stream2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.crichd.sc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://live9.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.vipleague.is/sports/football.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.genti.stream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Loved the history lesson. Can we have the missing periods too please.

1-1 for me. Always erred oh the cautious side. Cheeky Rico to score.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

eskimo joe wrote:Loved the history lesson. Can we have the missing periods too please.

What would you like to know mate :D

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Taansend wrote:Saturday will see an epic clash between two Premier League teams, each of whom has a rich & storied history in the footballing world, each with it's own unique, passionate & respected fan base....

And each one without a solitary point so far this season :?

But first, let's have a look at why Newcastle is so special.

Before Christianity had a grip Newcastle was an important part of the Roman Empire in England, being situated at the Western End of Hadrians Wall. After that came the Saxons & three kings battled for control of the region, Bretwalda, Edwin of Deira & Oswald of Bernicia. This started a golden period in North East England with Northumbria being known as a beacon of culture & learning across Europe.

And then came the Vikings.

They raped & pillaged & pillaged & raped, destroying the Abbeys & centres of learning.

The Normans rebuilt the area, keeping it as their northern fort in the constant battle against the Scots, although for around 20 years in the 12th century it was under Scottish rule.

Fast forward to today & Newcastle is known for it's welcoming ladies & tubby, jovial men who like nothing more than to strip their clothes off in sub zero temperatures.

Newcastle is also one of the driest cities in the UK.

2% of Geordies also claim to be Chinese. The same number for Black. I have no data on the number of Black Chinese Geordies though.

Our first match against Newcastle came in February 1908 when they beat us 2-0 away in the FA Cup. Can you imagine the journey back in those days? I suppose it was trains but it couldn't have been easy.

Our first FIVE games against them were all in the FA Cup. Since 1915 we've never met them in any cup competition.

We only won 1 of our first 9 games against them, a 1-0 win at home in 1923.

Since then they've generally had the better of us winning roughly 3 games for every 2 we win, with plenty of draws. In fact our over all record against them is 40 wins, 37 draws & 52 losses.

In the Premier League era we've lost 18, won 11 & drawn 11.

In March 1979 we beat them 5 nil when our line up consisted of Phil Parkes John McDowell Paul Brush Alvin Martin Billy Bonds Frank Lampard (Snr) Trevor Brooking Alan Devonshire Pat Holland David Cross Bryan Robson. McDowell (2), Lampard, Robson & Devonshire got the goals.

We also beat then 8-1 in 1986 when Alvin Martin grabbed a hat-trick with Goddard, McAvennie, Stewart, Orr & Own Goal grabbing the goals.

Who was there that day?

As for this weekend, I know that Reid will miss out. I think Lanzini is still out. As is Carroll. We'll also be missing the lanky Muppet after his stupid actions at the weekend.

Sakho will be pushing for more playing time & we have lots of players pushing for a start in midfield.

Hopefully Antonio will be fully match fit as he's our most creative player at the moment.

I expect our line up to look something like....

Hart (unless Adrian has a blinder tonight)
Zab Fonte Ogbog Cresswell
Rice Noble
Antonio Haka Ayew
Chicharito

Obviously I'm going out on a limb with the Swedish lad but I have a sneaking suspicion he'll get some time.

Newcastle have lost at home to Tottenham & away to Huddersfield so not really any major shocks either way. Ditto with us in losing at Old Trafford & Soton but both sets of fans have plenty to grumble about in regards to performances.

But we now have a fantastic goal scorer off the mark & I expect the Mexican to score another brace in a 2-1 win.

Up the Hammers :D
Ibby you're fired :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Taansend wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:Loved the history lesson. Can we have the missing periods too please.

I don't know cause I don't know what I don't know. :-)

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

The problem wise, is that any teams we play, it is always going to be 12 against our 11 as referee now support any teams who play against us. Newcastle 2 - 1 West Ham as ref will help them to beat us at no matter what cost. Ref like to ruin our winning mentaiity.

You will see on Saturday at 5pm. Hopefully I am wrong as I already fed up of ref conning our teams for no reason.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Ibbyham wrote:The problem wise, is that any teams we play, it is always going to be 12 against our 11 as referee now support any teams who play against us. Newcastle 2 - 1 West Ham as ref will help them to beat us at no matter what cost. Ref like to ruin our winning mentaiity.

You will see on Saturday at 5pm. Hopefully I am wrong as I already fed up of ref conning our teams for no reason.
What winning mentality. I personally think we go on the pitch not to lose and have been failing miserably.

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

eskimo joe wrote:
Taansend wrote:
Football related or Newcastle history related?

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Taansend wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:
Football related or Newcastle history related?
History.