First music (besides Bubbles) you associate with WHU

Chat about anything football related here!
1985whu

First music (besides Bubbles) you associate with WHU

Post by 1985whu »

My first game (I was 14 and had to be accompanied by my uncle from Southend cos of those nasty 80s hoolies) was in 1985, hence the username, against Everton. November afternoon, a great Everton side in yellow, the first time I ever laid eyes on the Upton Park pitch as I came up the steps in the east stand and saw the players warming up. The music was 'Something About You, Level 42'. Some 32 years or so later, whenever I hear that song, which is not often, I am instantly transported back to my first WH game, an indelible print in my mind that will stay with me until I kick the proverbial bucket.

I got the bug then. The old dear said I couldn't go again unless my uncle took me again but he was skint, and i thought bollocks to that, so I used my £10 paperound money (- one day Capitalcard - Casey Jones burger Paddington Station - £3 North bank or £3.50 South bank - programme) I told her I was out for Saturday afternoon with my mates in town, she never knew I went to West Ham for the rest of the season. Calling All The Heros - It Bites was the next song that reminds me of those clandestine trips.

Your WH tunes??

HammerJammer

Re: First music (besides Bubbles) you associate with WHU

Post by HammerJammer »

Quite a few brass band medleys played regularly by the British Legion at home games in the early 70s. Aside from their unique interpretation of Bubbles (still the best IMO), the only one I could ever name is Le Rêve Passé.
Click here and enter 9898 to block the TottenScum Troll

HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

When I became a fan in 1996 I remember they played Upfield from Billy Bragg prior to kickoff at most games.
When I returned to Germany I specifically bought that album, so that song would forever remind me of my first ever West Ham season...
COYI!!!

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

One tune that always sticks in my mind was a stylistics number called "can't give you anything" which was played at the semi final replay at Stamford bridge v Ipswich in 75. It was freezing that night standing on the shed. A few years down the line and we were up the shed again this time v Chelsea!
Oh what fun we had that day!!
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Never Mind the Bollocks was quite appropriate at the time and still is.
Bring back Jonathon !

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Great post mate,and a cracking question.....that is really pissing me off,cos I love my music,
but nothing is coming to mind......all I've got is the Jam,seem to follow me around in my early
West Ham career.... :lol: still do ..(but same for a lot I would imagine)
Always seemed to be a tape of theirs going in various cars and vans on away days,
Also would sometimes go in the Vic after games.....which was a Paul Weller/Style council/Jam
Overload..... :lol: But a brilliant Overload.....

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Geno-Dexy`s..Trevor Brooking 1980.

Swords of a Thousand Men-Ten Pole Tudor..The way it was in them days :) Think England should have that has their anthem.LOVE IT.

Cockney Rejects-West Side Boys.

Bruce Hornsby and the Range-It`s Just The Way It Is(1985-86)..Des Lynam(Grandstand) "Frank McAvennie,scores,has West Ham win again".That was the background music.

Hornchurch Hammer

Post by Hornchurch Hammer »

Kaiser Bills Batman. It was always the first tune the PA played on matchday when i first started going. Late 70s.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkety tonk old fruit and down with the Nazis

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Used to run out to the Post horn gallop years ago.

Nowadays probably Sack the Board.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

When I first went to matches I don't think were records invented... :shock:

I think Beethoven used to play his piano in the center circle