Which do you fear more?

Chat about anything football related here!

Selling our best players or The Money not being reinvested

Selling Best Players
28%
Not Reinvesting that money in the squad
72%

Total votes: 29

Broga81

Which do you fear more?

Post by Broga81 »

The whole Arnautovic to Man Utd and Lanzini to Liverpool gossip has got me thinking.

What are we actually afraid of more?

I believe our club will always have to sell players when a good offer is made. But why should we worry as surely getting £100+ million for 2 players means we can go and find the "next arnautovic" and the "next lanzini".
I am not afraid of having to sell players, and I firmly believe everyone has their price.

However if we got £100+m for the two, I want to see £100+m reinvested on players. No where else.

What are your thoughts?
Which do you fear more?

redhammer
Site Admin

Re: Which do you fear more?

Post by redhammer »

Selling our best players doesn't fear me if we replace them adequately, and thats the part that makes me uncertain so I guess it's the spending money but there is a correlation between the two.

As said in other thread, selling Arnautovic for a big fee would not bother me at all.

Lanzini and Rice are the only two I wouldn't want to see leave.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

It’s not so much the ‘not reinvesting’ that concerns me. It’s the ‘not reinvesting competently’ that is more of a concern.

With so many Ljungberg, McCarthy, Carroll, Jarvis, Maiga, Nordtveit-type purchases, acquiring players like Payet and Arnautovic appear to be more a case of good luck than good management.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

All clubs, even the biggest, sell when a player wants the opportunity to join a bigger club. Cristiano Ronaldo left England's biggest club when Real Madrid came calling.

Money talks as well. Neymar leaving one of the world's top clubs to join PSG proves that.

Selling players is no big deal, provided they are adequately replaced. Which probably gives you a clue which way I've voted. ;)

That, plus the fact the other option is still showing nil at the moment of course. :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Broga81

Post by Broga81 »

Agree with all of the above. We should not fear loosing our best players as we cannot give them the chance of winning trophies regularly or playing in Europes best competition.

We do however need smart heads to reinvest to get players who have the potential to be better than the players we have sold.

Just seeing some of the meltdown from fans over the Arnautovic gossip got me laughing a little.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Broga81 wrote:Agree with all of the above. We should not fear loosing our best players as we cannot give them the chance of winning trophies regularly or playing in Europes best competition.

We do however need smart heads to reinvest to get players who have the potential to be better than the players we have sold.

Just seeing some of the meltdown from fans over the Arnautovic gossip got me laughing a little.
Always amuses me when people assume tabloid gossip to be fact and depending on whether it's someone going out, or someone else coming in, either shitting themselves or wanking themselves into a frenzy.

I believe a transfer has happened when I see the player in question waving his new club's scarf above his head and saying he's always supported them since he was a small boy. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

I dont have a problem with us selling our better players who have more then likely reached their peaks and are more then likely not going to improve in the future . I dont want to see us selling the younger players like Rice and Lanzini they are the future . I do worry though that the money from any sales would not be reinvested especially with our history .
I do trust Pellegrini and his staff to find and recruit players if given the funds , can he find us the next Isco , Cazorla or Camacho to name a few . But I also worry because he also does recruit the older players , those who have done it else where and they dont always workout ie . Navas .
Last edited by Clayton on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

There’s kind of a third option. The players you bring in aren’t good enough. Always a risk with *ANY* transfer the player won’t settle. Even your Torres, verons, Di Maria’s don’t always work out.

I also worry it does get invested but your good/very good player gets sold and becomes 3-4-5 averages joes players. Like spuds did with bale money (think they got eriksen tbf) and we did with most of the Rio money (I forget how much we spent on west stand vs got reinvested in song, Charles, Titi camera)

Baddowhammer

Post by Baddowhammer »

I see I'm in the minority here but what sort of signal would it send out,to the fans who have renewed in their droves,I'd like to see replacements to an already worryingly thin squad before we sell anyone let alone our best,yes you have to trust the manager but he has wonga to spend first without selling.COYI

Broga81

Post by Broga81 »

Baddowhammer wrote:I see I'm in the minority here but what sort of signal would it send out,to the fans who have renewed in their droves,I'd like to see replacements to an already worryingly thin squad before we sell anyone let alone our best,yes you have to trust the manager but he has wonga to spend first without selling.COYI
Again all comes down to price.

If we sold the 2 for £100+m we could easly bring in 3/4/5 players of very good quality to fill the squad. Its a balancing act for the manager and his director of football. But it is doable.

Loosing players is enevitable, but agreed selling a £70m player and bringing in 10 hugills will not sell tickets :lol: