Whats your local

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
grandad

Whats your local

Post by grandad »

Mine

Saint Andrews Club Plaistow ( cheap and cheerful )
Fox and Connaught ( at the back of excel centre nice pub )
Windsor Beckton ( a brewers fare and not the best )

And if I fancy a nice walk the black lion

So where do you drink Chaps ?
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

palerider

Re: Whats your local

Post by palerider »

4 in walking distance.

The Highwayman. Used to be ok but they changed their supplier and the bitter's now shit.
The Thatched Cottage. More of a restaurant.
The Charlton. Cheap but full of wierdos after 9pm.
The Bell. Cheap but full of Poles after 9am.

If I ever go just for a pint locally it's the Charlton but that's rare.

deanox

Post by deanox »

Back in the day, the wine bar used to be good fun waiting for the away fans to come out UP station.
When I got a chicken run season ticket I used the Earl of Wakefield . Ray Winston used to drink there on occasions.
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Mine was called the Village INN but it has been taken over by new management and turned into something like an 18-30's holiday camp. (Have you seen it recently Wok?)

It will have to be The Swan now but I can honestly say that I've never seen a pub change it's clientele so fucking quickly. . . . . . I've no idea how they managed it.

wokinghama

Post by wokinghama »

Gonzo wrote:Mine was called the Village INN but it has been taken over by new management and turned into something like an 18-30's holiday camp. (Have you seen it recently Wok?)

It will have to be The Swan now but I can honestly say that I've never seen a pub change it's clientele so fucking quickly. . . . . . I've no idea how they managed it.
Never been in the village Gonz but was pleasantly surprised by white swan. Looks like a dive, but had a roll and a pint and the girls enjoyed their j20 things in the sun in the garden. Chips were pretty good.

My local used to be the three frogs in wokingham, great food and a good selection of lagers and cider. Camberley is a hole and I don't drink there.
Chim Chimeney

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

wokinghama wrote:
Gonzo wrote:Mine was called the Village INN but it has been taken over by new management and turned into something like an 18-30's holiday camp. (Have you seen it recently Wok?)

Never been in the village Gonz but was pleasantly surprised by white swan. Looks like a dive, but had a roll and a pint and the girls enjoyed their j20 things in the sun in the garden. Chips were pretty good.

My local used to be the three frogs in wokingham, great food and a good selection of lagers and cider. Camberley is a hole and I don't drink there.
You have eaten in the 'Bird in the hand' though right? The landlord is a Michelin star chef from Penny Hill Park . . . . . . the fucking food is off the chart and really well priced

palerider

Post by palerider »

More meaningful for most. When I lived in Barking the two pubs within reasonable walking distance of my home on Ripple Road were the Harrow and the Westbury Arms. Both are now closed.

I used to go in the Red Lion in town as they weren't too bothered about birth certificates when I was 17 and they had a bar billiards table. That too is now closed.

I used to drink occasionally at Barking FC supporters club which was very cheap. That closed when Barking moved to Mayesbrook Park.

I used to have the odd pint here and there like at the Brewery Tap but the only other pub I frequented regularly was the pub next to my old school, the Royal Oak. Sometimes called the Fly House.

I believe it's still there. It would be interesting to take a pilgrimage back to the place I left in 1972 to see what it looks like now. I imagine I'd be disappointed.

wokinghama

Post by wokinghama »

Gonzo wrote:
wokinghama wrote:

You have eaten in the 'Bird in the hand' though right? The landlord is a Michelin star chef from Penny Hill Park . . . . . . the fucking food is off the chart and really well priced
Never knew it was a there tucked away Gonz!

Just looked at the menu, the best looking fry up I've seen since the mega gut buster in an all night cafe in Brighton! Although granted its Class over bulk.

Cheers fella will be taking the family there sometime soon, looks amazing goodpost:)
Chim Chimeney

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

wokinghama wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Just looked at the menu, the best looking fry up I've seen since the mega gut buster in an all night cafe in Brighton! Although granted its Class over bulk.

Cheers fella will be taking the family there sometime soon, looks amazing goodpost:)

Oh do mate, you won't regret it.

There is also a bar menu which is also excellent so you don't have to sit in the restaurant side . . . . . . . . the 'Bird in the hand burger' is a thing of absolute wonder

wokinghama

Post by wokinghama »

Gonzo wrote:
wokinghama wrote:

Oh do mate, you won't regret it.

There is also a bar menu which is also excellent so you don't have to sit in the restaurant side . . . . . . . . the 'Bird in the hand burger' is a thing of absolute wonder
My only problem is, not being able to choose something as it all looks so fucking good. Oh well, will just have to keep going back :D
Chim Chimeney