RIP The Greatest

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
wokinghama

RIP The Greatest

Post by wokinghama »

Died earlier today.

A proper legend, not sure he was quite the best ever, but was certainly unique.

RIP big fella x
Chim Chimeney

cybersheep

Re: RIP The Greatest

Post by cybersheep »

I watched loads as a kid growing up he was awesome.a great showman another great lost
RIP

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Yes R.I.P. Ali.

Fought your battle with parkinsons ,the same as you use to fight..... "In style"

ticker

Post by ticker »

Floated like a butterfly stung like a bee now R.I.P mr. ALI

Oziron
Director of Avatars

Post by Oziron »

wokinghama wrote:Died earlier today.

A proper legend, not sure he was quite the best ever, but was certainly unique.

RIP big fella x
He might not have been the best ever (he did lose 4 years out of his career when at peak)....but he was definitely The Greatest...... The word Legend gets floated around a lot but this bloke was one of them....

I loved Ali when i was a kid and when i found out more about him as an adult I loved him even more......

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Post by eastcoastclaret »

Sad loss today although I've not seen him out in the public for a few years. Without doubt the man had a talent and mouth to match. People wanted to see him win or see him get beat in equal measure, either way it put bums on seats. What set him apart from the others wasn't his size it was his sheer speed for a big man which he seemed to unleash at will.That era of boxing had true heavyweight champions of the world not the circus that it has become today. Sad to see what Parkinson's did to him in his later years.
RIP Ali ( insert applause smilie here)
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

gazhammer

Post by gazhammer »

The man was a massive racist.

Decent boxer though.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

gazhammer wrote:The man was a massive racist.

Decent boxer though.

I like to think that he didn't mean it, most of what he said was with a swagger and a twinkle in the eye and he certainly had bundles of charisma. What I do know is that Louisville must have been a fucking awful place to be a black boy growing up in the 40's & 50's so I'm sure that played some part in his racial views.

Personally I'll remember him as Cassius Clay aka The Louisville Lip who was funny and charming to everyone.

The conversion to Islam and the all white men being devils rhetoric was clearly an indoctrination by Elijah Muhammad and I'm not entirely sure that Clay really believed that. He retained many close white friends right up until his death but clearly his fight for black rights would have been better served aligned to Martin Luther King than Malcolm X.

He was a good man and a true legend and its actually embarrassing and cringeworthy watching people like Tyson Fury attempting to be like him.

Oziron
Director of Avatars

Post by Oziron »

Decent boxer though.
What a load of old bollocks.....If he was such a racist why would let his official biography be written by a white jew (Thomas Hauser) ?

gazhammer

Post by gazhammer »

Oziron wrote:

Decent boxer though.
What a load of old bollocks.....If he was such a racist why would let his official biography be written by a white jew (Thomas Hauser) ?
Because he was a thick boxer racist?