Coronavirus

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Taansend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Taansend »

People in Clearwater Florida are protesting gyms not being open by exercising outside the courthouse.

Thereby proving they don't actually need gyms to be open :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfla.c ... house/amp/

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

You’re driving around town in your car , alone .

Or driving an articulated lorry from A to B , alone .

Wearing a surgical mask .

What’s THAT about ?
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:20 pm You’re driving around town in your car , alone .

What’s THAT about ?
Possibly they only have a short supply of masks. Handle the mask and pull it off your face to drive can render the mask useless. Also touching the mask and then somewhere else could be spreading the virus. So, have enough to be able to use one mask per visit or don’t touch it.

I did question it myself when I saw it though
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

JayK wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:19 am
Newmarket wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:20 pm You’re driving around town in your car , alone .

What’s THAT about ?
Possibly they only have a short supply of masks. Handle the mask and pull it off your face to drive can render the mask useless. Also touching the mask and then somewhere else could be spreading the virus. So, have enough to be able to use one mask per visit or don’t touch it.

I did question it myself when I saw it though
Thank you Jay
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

What’s THAT about ?
If much of the government's own advice is to be believed many of the masks, little more than face coverings, are next to useless. In fact some reports even say they are potentially more harmful than wearing nothing.

But imo a lot of people are wearing the fucking things so they can sort of smugly say,"Look at me everybody, aren't I a good boy/girl". One of my near neighbours actually puts one on when he nips outside to his fucking recycling bins. :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:11 am

What’s THAT about ?
If much of the government's own advice is to be believed many of the masks, little more than face coverings, are next to useless. In fact some reports even say they are potentially more harmful than wearing nothing.

But imo a lot of people are wearing the fucking things so they can sort of smugly say,"Look at me everybody, aren't I a good boy/girl". One of my near neighbours actually puts one on when he nips outside to his fucking recycling bins. :lol:
I have to admit, I wear a ski-mask when I go to Tesco as although I do have a couple of the face-masks they seem very flimsy. And of course I can wash the ski-mask afterwards.

They greet me with a cheery hello when in the past they'd have thought I was about to rob them :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:13 am

I have to admit, I wear a ski-mask when I go to Tesco as although I do have a couple of the face-masks they seem very flimsy. And of course I can wash the ski-mask afterwards.

They greet me with a cheery hello when in the past they'd have thought I was about to rob them :lol:
With a ski mask I suppose you could claim to be going on the piste. And ask to be directed to the wines & spirits area. ;)

I'll close the door on the way out.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

What’s THAT about ?

The government advice is largely designed to promote the perception of competence. That holds until the actual metrics are made available and then people can make their own judgements.

So we are told that PPE is available for key workers and then learn that,20% of hospitals patients contracted the virus while admitted for other conditions.Conclusion: Not enough PPE available or not the right type.

We are moving to a new phase of softening restrictions because the science they are using,indicates it is now appropriate.

However the actual science which concerns itself with the study of the physical and natural world,suggests we should do the opposite.

And the encouragement that people should return to work,sensibly travelling 2 metres apart,observing social distancing
guidelines is made challenging,when the transport systems are designed to whizz people around like sardines in cans.

A suspicious person might look elsewhere for advice...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am

The government advice is largely designed to promote the perception of competence. That holds until the actual metrics are made available and then people can make their own judgements.

So we are told that PPE is available for key workers and then learn that,20% of hospitals patients contracted the virus while admitted for other conditions.Conclusion: Not enough PPE available or not the right type.

We are moving to a new phase of softening restrictions because the science they are using,indicates it is now appropriate.

However the actual science which concerns itself with the study of the physical and natural world,suggests we should do the opposite.

And the encouragement that people should return to work,sensibly travelling 2 metres apart,observing social distancing
guidelines is made challenging,when the transport systems are designed to whizz people around like sardines in cans.

I'm coming to the conclusion that, in all honesty, we should revert to normality.

It seems it will be a long time, if ever, before a vaccine is produced in sufficient quantities to immunize/cure us. So as I see it we have a limited number of options available to us.

1. Continue ,as now, which is unsustainable given that many people are suffering financial hardship, many businesses and jobs are in danger of disappearing which of course means more people relying on financial support from the government.
OR
2. Accept that some people are going to catch the thing, probably in time all of us, but remembering to bear in mind 95% of people who do (government's own stats) don't even need hospital treatment.
OR
3. Gradually relax the current lockdown restrictions until some sort of normality is reached again. This is the option I think the government is presently pursuing but, tbh, I think they're only really postponing, rather than preventing, the inevitable.

And whilst I'm fortunate that I don't have any relatives or friends currently undergoing, or waiting for, medical treatment I think we should be concerned that the resources of the NHS are probably being diverted away from some forms of life saving treatment, cancer treatment for example, to concentrate all it's efforts on Covid 19. Cancer, if untreated WILL eventually kill you, Covid 19 will if you're on of the unlucky ones.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:48 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am

I'm coming to the conclusion that, in all honesty, we should revert to normality.

It seems it will be a long time, if ever, before a vaccine is produced in sufficient quantities to immunize/cure us. So as I see it we have a limited number of options available to us.

1. Continue ,as now, which is unsustainable given that many people are suffering financial hardship, many businesses and jobs are in danger of disappearing which of course means more people relying on financial support from the government.
OR
2. Accept that some people are going to catch the thing, probably in time all of us, but remembering to bear in mind 95% of people who do (government's own stats) don't even need hospital treatment.
OR
3. Gradually relax the current lockdown restrictions until some sort of normality is reached again. This is the option I think the government is presently pursuing but, tbh, I think they're only really postponing, rather than preventing, the inevitable.

And whilst I'm fortunate that I don't have any relatives or friends currently undergoing, or waiting for, medical treatment I think we should be concerned that the resources of the NHS are probably being diverted away from some forms of life saving treatment, cancer treatment for example, to concentrate all it's efforts on Covid 19. Cancer, if untreated WILL eventually kill you, Covid 19 will if you're on of the unlucky ones.
I think the main reason for the lockdown was to try stop the NHS falling on its knees and no other reason. Now they’re not so busy, the government can afford to see a few more people infected, until we peak again (which I think is inevitable) then we’ll all be locked down again. The sights of people getting into work via the tube in London was like this thing had never happened.

I agree we need to move out of lockdown slowly (option 3) but the government need better control of the transport systems to try reduce the risk of the 2nd peak.
COYI!!!