The Official F1 thread 2021

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Noni

Re: The Official F1 thread 2021

Post by Noni »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:47 pm Is Ozhammer still about? 8-) :D
Have not seen him, maybe he's on holiday. This thread has got a bit lonely on my own!... :?

I would even welcome a criticism from Newmarket!...... :D

:lol:

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Noni wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:09 pm
Have not seen him, maybe he's on holiday. This thread has got a bit lonely on my own!... :?

I would even welcome a criticism from Newmarket!...... :D

:lol:
I'll join more often if he doesn't! :lol:

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

You rang...?

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

OZHAMMER wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:37 pm
You rang...?
Just wondering if you enjoyed Monza? 😁

I also recall you saying you thought Ricciardo would be regretting his move to McLaren. Just wondering if you’ve changed your view on that now?

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am
OZHAMMER wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:37 pm

You rang...?

I also recall you saying you thought Ricciardo would be regretting his move to McLaren. Just wondering if you’ve changed your view on that now?
I enjoyed the race. Particularly the team-first attitude by Lando.

Ric has been underperforming all season. He just can’t seem to get an understanding of the car. Monza could be a turning point - it could also be a one-off.

In answer to your question, he very well could have been regretting the move all season. And he still may. A season with only one victory would be sub-par, I would’ve thought.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

OZHAMMER wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:36 pm
Gandalf wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am

Ric has been underperforming all season. He just can’t seem to get an understanding of the car. Monza could be a turning point - it could also be a one-off.

In answer to your question, he very well could have been regretting the move all season. And he still may. A season with only one victory would be sub-par, I would’ve thought.
He took a while to get to grips with the Renault, but it came good in the end.
He took a while to get to grips with the McLaren, but it's coming good now.

You say Monza may be a turning point or a one-off. But remember, he qualified 4th at Spa.

And would one victory really be a sub-par season? In comparison to what? Certainly not his Renault days. Two podiums in two seasons, and it took him a season-and-a-half to achieve those.
In comparison to where he could be now if he stayed at Renault? McLaren are comfortably beating them at the moment.

McLaren are a team rebuilding and appear to be doing it all the right way, from the top down. And they are reaping what they sow.
Renault? Or Alpine as they are now! They sacked their team principle right before the start of the season. Considering how long Abiteboul had been with Renault if he wasn't the right man for the job you would have thought they'd known that long before that moment!
And who replaced him? I've been sitting trying to think, without using the power of Google. And I really don't know. For all I know Alonso may as well be running that team.
They may prove me wrong but somehow something doesn't seem right in that team. (Yeah, I know about Hungary but that was in unusual circumstances, to say the least! :lol: )

So I said it before and I'll say it again. Ricciardo made a good move in going to McLaren. 8-)

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:02 pm

You say Monza may be a turning point or a one-off. But remember, he qualified 4th at Spa.

And would one victory really be a sub-par season? In comparison to what? Certainly not his Renault days. Two podiums in two seasons, and it took him a season-and-a-half to achieve those.
In comparison to where he could be now if he stayed at Renault? McLaren are comfortably beating them at the moment.

McLaren are a team rebuilding and appear to be doing it all the right way, from the top down. And they are reaping what they sow.
Renault? Or Alpine as they are now! They sacked their team principle right before the start of the season. Considering how long Abiteboul had been with Renault if he wasn't the right man for the job you would have thought they'd known that long before that moment!
And who replaced him? I've been sitting trying to think, without using the power of Google. And I really don't know. For all I know Alonso may as well be running that team.
They may prove me wrong but somehow something doesn't seem right in that team. (Yeah, I know about Hungary but that was in unusual circumstances, to say the least! :lol: )

So I said it before and I'll say it again. Ricciardo made a good move in going to McLaren. 8-)
You are probably right. I don’t know enough or am not interested enough in the sport. I just watch it sometimes, or wake up in the morning and check race results the other times.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

OZHAMMER wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 pm

You are probably right. I don’t know enough or am not interested enough in the sport. I just watch it sometimes, or wake up in the morning and check race results the other times.
Yeah, I went on a bit of a ramble there, which wasn't the intention when I started typing! :roll:

But when you say I'm 'probably' right........ there ain't no probably about it. I AM right!!! :lol:

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:33 pm
OZHAMMER wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 pm

Yeah, I went on a bit of a ramble there, which wasn't the intention when I started typing! :roll:

But when you say I'm 'probably' right........ there ain't no probably about it. I AM right!!! :lol:
Are you my ex-missus in disguise?

Noni

Post by Noni »

I think Ricciardo made the right move to McLaren. Look at Norris after 2 seasons, just amazing. Daniel is an exceptional driver.

Alonso is getting older and will slow down, year after year.