The Ashes

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Whiskyman

Re: The Ashes

Post by Whiskyman »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 pm Beyond pathetic. I'm not really sure what's gone wrong with English test cricket but the county set up does us no favours when it comes to preparation for playing test matches abroad. If we play on a hard bouncy seamers pitch, then we're basically stuffed each and every time. Same thing really if we're on a spinners wicket - We just don't have the batsmen capable of dealing with non English batting conditions.

We then compound that weakness by having bowlers who can't bowl in non English conditions and end up getting carted around the park for 4,5 or 600 runs an innings with alarming alacrity.

Reverse swing is the holy grail for English bowlers, sadly for them it's as rare as Unicorn shit in hotter conditions and since we don't really have any genuine hit-the-pitch-hard pace men, our seam attack is basically just medium pace dobbers who end up being cannon fodder time after time.

As for the spinners... What spinners? When you have to resort to Ollie Robinson bowling left hand off spin when he's arguably been our most reliable seamer is just pathetic. When you have no option to bring on a spinner to reduce the scoring rate and to try to gain a bit of control back then you're just asking for trouble - And that fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Joe Root and Chris Silverwood.

The English test set-up needs a brush pushing through it, starting with the captaincy. Sadly, that won't happen since the ECB is glacial in it's movements on matters of underperformance and since our next 3 series of test matches are all in England, I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.
I don’t follow cricket and I’m guessing from your post you do. But surely the type of pitch is pretty much determined by the climate isn’t it ? And I’m assuming from what you say that players adapt their style to the playing conditions.

I’m. Probably talking bollocks but as I say I don’t follow the game. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:37 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 pm
I don’t follow cricket and I’m guessing from your post you do. But surely the type of pitch is pretty much determined by the climate isn’t it ? And I’m assuming from what you say that players adapt their style to the playing conditions.

I’m. Probably talking bollocks but as I say I don’t follow the game. ;)
You're mostly right but the problem we have here is that our players are used to playing on a pretty much standard green (a pitch with a higher grass covering than you'd get say in India) pitch which for the most part is predictable for both batsmen and bowlers. As soon as you go abroad then we roam in to the realm of dusty pitches, dry pitches and wet pitches (humidity effected rather than good old English rain of which we have plenty), all of which have characteristics that our players - as shown in Oz, are totally unprepared for.

Of course the various climates play a massive part and unless for instance we get a 10 week heatwave then it's unlikely you're going to get a really dusty or dry pitch in England - BUT, the equipment and techniques do exist to replicate as far as possible the different types of wickets you're ever likely to play on. It's just that no one really bothers to do so and as such players get used to only one real type of wicket.

In my head it's akin to putting Lewis Hamilton in a Rally car and expecting him to win the WRC at his first ever attempt. He's got the driving skills and application but because he's only used to driving around tarmac race tracks he's got absolutely no chance of being competitive.

At the end of the day there are a myriad of reasons why England are being trounced in Australia and my original post was just suggesting one of them. I could write literally a book about the effect of limited overs cricket on test match cricket. I won't but I could! :lol:
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Unfortunately we live in a woke society now. The thought of getting smacked on the bonce with a cricket ball or copping a full toss in the stones doesn't really appeal to our new generation of wankers. The same can be said for rugby. Too much like hard work. Why get filthy playing rugby when there's a protest to march on or a motorway to stick your arse to?
Tennis is a rich sport that only people with money can afford and invariably little Tarquin and Bunty are just entitled brats who end up being embarrassed by a Rumanian from a village with one racquet between 400 of them and a ball made from sheep's bollocks.
Gone are the days when a beefy or a Flintoff strode purposefully to crease with a bat or a ball and cared not a fuck for anyone, striking fear in to the opposition.
How many kids today do you see playing football/cricket in all weathers, hardly any. Far better to sit like a cabbage in front of an Xbox for 10 hours and grow up to be a complete arsewipe who can't communicate unless he/she/they is wearing a headset!
Right that's my rant over, I'm off to take my granddaughter of 16 months down the pub. She's already calling spud fans cunts and drinking pints of Stella and is a dab hand with a crossbow!

Au revoir.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:02 pm Unfortunately we live in a woke society now. The thought of getting smacked on the bonce with a cricket ball or copping a full toss in the stones doesn't really appeal to our new generation of wankers. The same can be said for rugby. Too much like hard work. Why get filthy playing rugby when there's a protest to march on or a motorway to stick your arse to?
Tennis is a rich sport that only people with money can afford and invariably little Tarquin and Bunty are just entitled brats who end up being embarrassed by a Rumanian from a village with one racquet between 400 of them and a ball made from sheep's bollocks.
Gone are the days when a beefy or a Flintoff strode purposefully to crease with a bat or a ball and cared not a fuck for anyone, striking fear in to the opposition.
How many kids today do you see playing football/cricket in all weathers, hardly any. Far better to sit like a cabbage in front of an Xbox for 10 hours and grow up to be a complete arsewipe who can't communicate unless he/she/they is wearing a headset!
Right that's my rant over, I'm off to take my granddaughter of 16 months down the pub. She's already calling spud fans cunts and drinking pints of Stella and is a dab hand with a crossbow!

Au revoir.
Excellent granddaughter. Good training 👍🏽👏🏽
COYI!!!

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

JayK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:07 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:02 pm Unfortunately we live in a woke society now. The thought of getting smacked on the bonce with a cricket ball or copping a full toss in the stones doesn't really appeal to our new generation of wankers. The same can be said for rugby. Too much like hard work. Why get filthy playing rugby when there's a protest to march on or a motorway to stick your arse to?

Au revoir.
Indeed Jay.
We're just settling down now to watch the exorcist before readying ourselves for this evening's festivities which include jousting, swordfighting, and the ceremonial burning of a lifesize Harry Kane picture.

Happy new year n all that.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:02 pm
Don't know about cricket but I promise you there's no shortage of kids playing organised football, although of course the spineless fuckers who organise it shut the bloody league down last year although there was evidence that kids were totally unaffected by this covid crap. The club I coach kids at has age groups from Under 7s right up to Under 18s and there are literally hundreds of other similar clubs across the county who offer opportunities for kids to play the game. And there are even little training sessions (no actual games) for any kids not old enough to play in one of the leagues, where the youngest age group is Under 7. And it's relatively inexpensive. Our club charges just under £200 per child which includes their kit for the season, all pitch and referees fees, and training facilities (once a week). That gets them, assuming all the games are played and not "nannied off" by the covid noshers, a basic 26 league games a season and at least three cup games, one league cup, one divisional cup and one county wide cup. Which I would say is pretty good value.

Cricket's different of course because you can't play in the rain and a lot of kids might get bored with cricket because a significant part of the game is sitting around waiting to bat or poncing around waiting to chase after the ball if he's not actually bowling it.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:15 pm
JayK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:07 pm

Indeed Jay.
We're just settling down now to watch the exorcist before readying ourselves for this evening's festivities which include jousting, swordfighting, and the ceremonial burning of a lifesize Harry Kane picture.

Happy new year n all that.
Good work. Happy new year BB
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:02 pm
Don't know about cricket but I promise you there's no shortage of kids playing organised football, although of course the spineless fuckers who organise it shut the bloody league down last year although there was evidence that kids were totally unaffected by this covid crap. The club I coach kids at has age groups from Under 7s right up to Under 18s and there are literally hundreds of other similar clubs across the county who offer opportunities for kids to play the game. And there are even little training sessions (no actual games) for any kids not old enough to play in one of the leagues, where the youngest age group is Under 7. And it's relatively inexpensive. Our club charges just under £200 per child which includes their kit for the season, all pitch and referees fees, and training facilities (once a week). That gets them, assuming all the games are played and not "nannied off" by the covid noshers, a basic 26 league games a season and at least three cup games, one league cup, one divisional cup and one county wide cup. Which I would say is pretty good value.

Cricket's different of course because you can't play in the rain and a lot of kids might get bored with cricket because a significant part of the game is sitting around waiting to bat or poncing around waiting to chase after the ball if he's not actually bowling it.
I think BB might be talking about kids playing football in the street …. Like when we was kids ?

Or at least when I was a kid . In towns & cities .

Real times in a real world .
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:05 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:02 pm

I think BB might be talking about kids playing football in the street …. Like when we was kids ?

Jumpers for goalposts
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

JayK wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:33 pm
Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:05 pm

Jumpers for goalposts
Sometimes only one jumper if it was too cold...