The Ashes

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
terrya1965

Re: The Ashes

Post by terrya1965 »

Noni wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:15 pm Played cricket at school and hated it.

Australia won, don't understand this game!.....True statement and not joking!!! :oops:
I don't think we do in Test format now either. :shock:

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Stokes came out looking the part. Hit Stark for a 4. Then forgot about his middle stump :D
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Bairstow gone. Didn't want to be late for lunch in case all the pies were gone.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Root gone. Might be an old sanger left. Bairstow got a 5 minute start on him.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Wood completely surrenders with one of the worst shots you will ever see. Bairstow must have them all worried!!
Still 17 behind and now Robinson gone after 2 minutes. Fucking embarrassing.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

All over red rover. 267 and win by an innings and 14 runs. Third day never lasted as long as a football match. Good job I've got some beers left over from Christmas and don't have to go down the clubrooms. Big pom is going to cop heaps over this sorry showing.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

tassiehammer wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 am 267 and win by an innings and 14 runs.
That’s as bad an innings with the bat as I can remember we’ve played in recent times, yet we win by an innings...?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Any sport that can’t be played in the fucking pissing down of rain is not worth a rub imo.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Beyond pathetic. I'm not really sure what's gone wrong with English test cricket but the county set up does us no favours when it comes to preparation for playing test matches abroad. If we play on a hard bouncy seamers pitch, then we're basically stuffed each and every time. Same thing really if we're on a spinners wicket - We just don't have the batsmen capable of dealing with non English batting conditions.

We then compound that weakness by having bowlers who can't bowl in non English conditions and end up getting carted around the park for 4,5 or 600 runs an innings with alarming alacrity.

Reverse swing is the holy grail for English bowlers, sadly for them it's as rare as Unicorn shit in hotter conditions and since we don't really have any genuine hit-the-pitch-hard pace men, our seam attack is basically just medium pace dobbers who end up being cannon fodder time after time.

As for the spinners... What spinners? When you have to resort to Ollie Robinson bowling left hand off spin when he's arguably been our most reliable seamer is just pathetic. When you have no option to bring on a spinner to reduce the scoring rate and to try to gain a bit of control back then you're just asking for trouble - And that fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Joe Root and Chris Silverwood.

The English test set-up needs a brush pushing through it, starting with the captaincy. Sadly, that won't happen since the ECB is glacial in it's movements on matters of underperformance and since our next 3 series of test matches are all in England, I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 pm Beyond pathetic. I'm not really sure what's gone wrong with English test cricket but the county set up does us no favours when it comes to preparation for playing test matches abroad. If we play on a hard bouncy seamers pitch, then we're basically stuffed each and every time. Same thing really if we're on a spinners wicket - We just don't have the batsmen capable of dealing with non English batting conditions.

We then compound that weakness by having bowlers who can't bowl in non English conditions and end up getting carted around the park for 4,5 or 600 runs an innings with alarming alacrity.

Reverse swing is the holy grail for English bowlers, sadly for them it's as rare as Unicorn shit in hotter conditions and since we don't really have any genuine hit-the-pitch-hard pace men, our seam attack is basically just medium pace dobbers who end up being cannon fodder time after time.

As for the spinners... What spinners? When you have to resort to Ollie Robinson bowling left hand off spin when he's arguably been our most reliable seamer is just pathetic. When you have no option to bring on a spinner to reduce the scoring rate and to try to gain a bit of control back then you're just asking for trouble - And that fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Joe Root and Chris Silverwood.

The English test set-up needs a brush pushing through it, starting with the captaincy. Sadly, that won't happen since the ECB is glacial in it's movements on matters of underperformance and since our next 3 series of test matches are all in England, I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.
You have summed it up perfectly Bill.