Hobbies.

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Re: Hobbies.

Post by palerider »

I always thought the word 'wog' over here was an abbreviation of 'Westernized Oriental Gentlemen'. Our convict friend is correct in saying that in the land of the koala-worrier it refers to anybody from abroad but us poms.

But Oriental to me means the far east. And I've never heard a Chinaman called a wog.

It's not really that offensive now. Nor is cunt. If I really wanted to insult somebody I'd call them Moyes.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 pm I used to go clubbing.
Had some marvellous times, but the seals weren't to happy about it.
'Boom Tish!!'
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

palerider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:27 pm I always thought the word 'wog' over here was an abbreviation of 'Westernized Oriental Gentlemen'. Our convict friend is correct in saying that in the land of the koala-worrier it refers to anybody from abroad but us poms.

But Oriental to me means the far east. And I've never heard a Chinaman called a wog.

It's not really that offensive now. Nor is cunt. If I really wanted to insult somebody I'd call them Moyes.
The term has lost its bite over here, because that’s how they refer to themselves. By embracing it, they’ve nullified its power somewhat.

I always thought wog stood for westernised oriental gentleman as well, until I googled it last night and learned that it is a misnomer.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

OZHAMMER wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:47 am
palerider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:27 pm I always thought the word 'wog' over here was an abbreviation of 'Westernized Oriental Gentlemen'. Our convict friend is correct in saying that in the land of the koala-worrier it refers to anybody from abroad but us poms.

The term has lost its bite over here, because that’s how they refer to themselves. By embracing it, they’ve nullified its power somewhat.

I always thought wog stood for westernised oriental gentleman as well, until I googled it last night and learned that it is a misnomer.
Good golly …
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Etymology, the study of the origin of words has always fascinated me. In fact I got a distinction for it back in the day at the University of Jaywick. And did you know the word 'cunt', now not as offensive as it once was, originated from the Old Norse 'kunta', meaning prostitute ?

This then made it's way due to the Viking invasions in the 9th century into the rest of the continent and Germanic versions started to appear as 'kunt'. It first appeared in the British Isles in the early 10th century in Scotland, by which time the current spelling had evolved and meant 'a dull, negative and stubborn man in a skirt who doesn't know his arse from his elbow'.

Every day's a schoolday.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:11 am Etymology, the study of the origin of words has always fascinated me. In fact I got a distinction for it back in the day at the University of Jaywick. And did you know the word 'cunt', now not as offensive as it once was, originated from the Old Norse 'kunta', meaning prostitute ?

This then made it's way due to the Viking invasions in the 9th century into the rest of the continent and Germanic versions started to appear as 'kunt'. It first appeared in the British Isles in the early 10th century in Scotland, by which time the current spelling had evolved and meant 'a dull, negative and stubborn man in a skirt who doesn't know his arse from his elbow'.

Every day's a schoolday.

Always good to keep your eye in my learned friend.
I found a Latin phrase which is rather pertinent for our plight, it says.

Ineptus, clueless, cuntus, buggeyeus shitpotus.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

whu

Post by whu »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am
OZHAMMER wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:47 am

Good golly …
the irony, grays boy ....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... dolls.html
Fuck Off Sully, Brady, Moyes. Killing this club by death from a thousand cunts.

palerider

Post by palerider »

whu wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:01 am
Newmarket wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am

Good golly …

Fuck me.

I'd better keep schtum about my collection of scalps then.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:22 am
whu wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:01 am

Fuck me.

I may have to get shot of my collection of Al Jolson's greatest hits as well as my KKK outfit.
World's gone to pot, I tell ya.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:44 pm
palerider wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:22 am

Fuck me.

I may have to get shot of my collection of Al Jolson's greatest hits as well as my KKK outfit.
World's gone to pot, I tell ya.
Indeed. I may have to put the burning cross away until the fuss dies down.