Croydon tram crash

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Croydon tram crash

Post by palerider »

The first casualty has been named as Dean Chinnery, a big Palace fan.

There are times when your club allegiance is so unimportant.

RIP

MitchFY66

Re: Croydon tram crash

Post by MitchFY66 »

Very sad news. The best we can hope for now is that those injured make a speedy recover and hope that the sector learns from whatever was at fault for the crash.
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

CambridgeIron71

Post by CambridgeIron71 »

I'd hate to go myself or lose a loved one like this. Just going about everyday life but not coming home.

Old age, disease, long term conditions, even things such car, motorbike, cycling accidents you would accept to a degree.

Thoughts to the friends and families.
Pretty bubbles in the air.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

palerider wrote:The first casualty has been named as Dean Chinnery, a big Palace fan.

There are times when your club allegiance is so unimportant.

RIP
Agreed.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

belfasthammer

Post by belfasthammer »

Rest in Peace Dean

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I used to live in Croydon and if you are not used to trams it's quite a strange system with tracks basically going over the same roads that cars drive on and pedestrians walk over. Obviously the trams have right of way but the actual tracks/rails themselves are very thin and shallow compared to train tracks.

I don't know too much about the incident even though, I tuned in to find out more last night. The news was on for two fucking hours and not at any point did the pictures show anything other than Trump & Clinton so I've only heard the story on the radio.

I gather that it came off the tracks but I'm not surprised, the trams are the size of trains yet what they run on is completely out of proportion. I'm not sure if it had to stop for a car suddenly or even if the people that died were inside the tram or pedestrians on the high street but the things are a menace.

Very sad because that in these days of health & safety a mode of public transport that probably travels at between 25-30 mph can kill 7 people minding their own business

palerider

Post by palerider »

Gonzo wrote:I used to live in Croydon and if you are not used to trams it's quite a strange system with tracks basically going over the same roads that cars drive on and pedestrians walk over. Obviously the trams have right of way but the actual tracks/rails themselves are very thin and shallow compared to train tracks.

I don't know too much about the incident even though, I tuned in to find out more last night. The news was on for two fucking hours and not at any point did the pictures show anything other than Trump & Clinton so I've only heard the story on the radio.

I gather that it came off the tracks but I'm not surprised, the trams are the size of trains yet what they run on is completely out of proportion. I'm not sure if it had to stop for a car suddenly or even if the people that died were inside the tram or pedestrians on the high street but the things are a menace.

Very sad because that in these days of health & safety a mode of public transport that probably travels at between 25-30 mph can kill 7 people minding their own business
I also lived in Croydon. And very near where the crash happened. Odd that Manchester's tram system has ten times more capacity and yet I'm not aware of any problems up there.

Speculation the driver blacked out. But if so, why the fuck isn't there an automatic cut-off if speed exceeds a certain level ?

Cost ?

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

palerider wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I used to live in Croydon and if you are not used to trams it's quite a strange system with tracks basically going over the same roads that cars drive on and pedestrians walk over. Obviously the trams have right of way but the actual tracks/rails themselves are very thin and shallow compared to train tracks.

I also lived in Croydon. And very near where the crash happened. Odd that Manchester's tram system has ten times more capacity and yet I'm not aware of any problems up there.

Speculation the driver blacked out. But if so, why the fuck isn't there an automatic cut-off if speed exceeds a certain level ?

Cost ?

Oh okay might explain a lot, as I say I don't know much about the story.

I used to walk from West Croydon to East Croydon to get connecting trains and even when walking on pedestrianised areas you had to move a bit sharpish to avoid the trams.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Very sad indeed. Thoughts with the families
COYI!!!