Brighton v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!

Can We Finally Beat Brighton In The Premier League?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes, West Ham win.
72%
Draw
17%
They beat us again.
11%

Total votes: 36

Baddowhammer

Re: Brighton v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Post by Baddowhammer »

dagenhamdave wrote:
Baddowhammer wrote:The plus point is we kept pressing and were the better side,the downside was the lack of the final killer ball,ok the grass was long to stop our passing game and to an extent it worked,but surely you get used to the surface after a while but some passes were short and some too hard all game.
The corners were off as were the free kicks in useful positions,but it was just one of those games where we was just out of luck,we ended attacking and if we keep playing the same luck follows hard graft,but Arfur will have to improve his defensive duties.COYI
I think one of our poor points all season has been our free kicks and corners, we do not look dangerous at all, especially considering the height of Diop.
Anderson's dead ball service leaves a lot to be desired, in other words piss poor. Also the tippy tappy with Yama at freekicks needs to stop, it is not helping us.
It wouldn't have been a bad idea to have some long shots after they packed the box,but we just tried time and again to play the ball short for a tap in,we got in good positions to shoot too,sometimes it would have been a better option than to try passing through nine defenders.COYI

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

An earlier comment about Yarmalenko...

He does maybe seem limited...

"Cut in from the left, feint to pull the trigger,advance a few yards,feint again, go another couple of yards,then shoot if the opportunity is still on "

Baddowhammer

Post by Baddowhammer »

Mikeveep wrote:An earlier comment about Yarmalenko...

"Cut in from the left, feint to pull the trigger,advance a few yards,feint again, go another couple of yards,then shoot if the opportunity is still on "
I was quietly confident of Yarmo doing the business once he was match fit,but I didn't realise just how one footed he is,I can't remember a cross or pull back on his right foot at all,once defenders know this he becomes easy to mark.COYI

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Baddowhammer wrote:

I was quietly confident of Yarmo doing the business once he was match fit,but I didn't realise just how one footed he is,I can't remember a cross or pull back on his right foot at all,once defenders know this he becomes easy to mark.COYI
He has been influenced by the style of Arjen Robben

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Baddowhammer wrote:

Well..... they clearly didn't work it out in the Bundesliga.
Are Premier League defenders that much better?
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

He only played 18 games in the German league, Tone :o

Scored 3 from 18....

And if those 3 were scored early on it would kind of back up the theory.

Spent the majority of his career in the Ukranian League.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Mikeveep wrote:He only played 18 games in the German league, Tone :o

Scored 3 from 18....

And if those 3 were scored early on it would kind of back up the theory.

Spent the majority of his career in the Ukranian League.
I agree . I like Yarmalenko . Exciting player but VERY maybe TOO one footed .
I only saw the first 25 minutes but as a keen watcher of Bundesliga footy I feel qualified to state that Tony is wrrrrong

If I can work it out I’m sure PL defenders can :lol:

Personally I’d like to see him and Anderson/Antonio switch wings/positions during play .... then he may be able to cross the ball for AC .
Oh hang on ....
Bring back Jonathon !

Baddowhammer

Post by Baddowhammer »

ToneLoc wrote:
Baddowhammer wrote: I was quietly confident of Yarmo doing the business once he was match fit,but I didn't realise just how one footed he is,I can't remember a cross or pull back on his right foot at all,once defenders know this he becomes easy to mark.COYI
Well..... they clearly didn't work it out in the Bundesliga.
I think the top German sides have a few more easy fixtures overall,I'm not saying he won't be useful,but top defenders will find to show him down the line pretty basic,although I do think he will be useful once fully integrated and fully match fit,and confidence to take a gamble.COYI

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Well, I feel better than after most defeats.

We didn't come back with any points but it doesn't feel as if we were turned over,.

But I've lowered my sights a bit. From 7/8th to 9/10th.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Baddowhammer wrote:
ToneLoc wrote: Well..... they clearly didn't work it out in the Bundesliga.
I think the top German sides have a few more easy fixtures overall,I'm not saying he won't be useful,but top defenders will find to show him down the line pretty basic,although I do think he will be useful once fully integrated and fully match fit,and confidence to take a gamble.COYI
I'm not sure they do mate. I'm always puzzled about this "no easy games in the PL" nonsense. I watched Saints v Chelsea today and Chelsea won't get an easier 3 points this season until they play the next load of bus parkers. At one point in the 1st half the stats (yes I know, but even so) Chelsea were showing as having 91%, that's no typo it says ninety one, of posession. Southampton were utter pants. In fact they were worse than that. A mate of mine who is a Spurs ST holder told me that yesterday was the worst he's deen Spurs play for years but they should still have beateb Cardiff easier than they did, and apparently Arsenal gave Fulham a good old seeing to today. And Fulham are not a team, unlike Saints and Cardiff, who I expected to struggle.

I still reckon the top sides in the PL would hold their own in all the major European leagues but the teams outside the so called elite would, just as they do here, make up the numbers. Burnley finished 7th last year don't forget and it looks like at this early stage Bournemouth might be this season's Burnley.

Doesn't alter the fact that Yarmolenko's right foot is there just for balance though. Still, there have been one or two decent one footed players in the past. Liam Brady is one who comes to mind. Not to mention a certain David Beckham.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?