West Ham vs Man City Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Clayton

Re: West Ham vs Man City Official Match Thread

Post by Clayton »

downunda wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 pm My real thoughts on this are that our defense will not be able to cope with the City attack. Rice will slot in at the back to help out but the wing back positions are both weak defensively. With Anderson and Lanzini on the wing they are not the best at tracking back. Whenever those two lose possession we will be in trouble.

Having said that if we click and can get at them early we may just get them rattled enough to get something out of this.

COYI
Kind of funny how people see a players performances , for me Anderson tracks back more then most and has from what I have seen on many occasions stopped oppositions attacks . If he does lose the ball , which most attacking players will do he will try his best to get it back , unlike some .
As for our inconsistency at the back , I also see it as a lack of skill with whoever is partnering Rice as well , its their job to support and cover the forward runs of the fullbacks , and not to expect the fullbacks to get back , or for the CB,s to go across and leave gaps in the middle .
The way I see it and is our problem against any team is our lack of bite and dynamism in midfield , we do not have the players to break down the oppositions attacks , I for one do not at all blame our defence for our defensive ineptitude .

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:42 am Looking forward to the game but not optimistic regarding the outcome. IMO Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva will rip the arse out of Fredericks and Cresswell. If I was a betting man i’d probably be looking at 1-3.

At least it’s nice and sunny here in Tenerife and the beer is cold and cheap. :D
I’m actually dreading the game itself but agree with everything else you say .
I was hoping to avoid the game but I have the same disease as everyone else so I’ll be watching I guess .

Only for Tenerife read Egypt :lol:

Jeez they were creaming their sandals over Mo last night :roll:
Bring back Jonathon !

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

downunda wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:38 am
hd1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 pm
Weird you think that, Anderson completed the 9th most amount of tackles in the PL last season and was on a par with Ngolo Kante for being dispossessed
Sometimes its best to watch games rather than go by stats alone. losing the ball for a split second and then getting it back can count as a tackle. It certainly doesn't mean he tracks back to help the defense. Not that I want Anderson and Lanzini to spend most of the match back in defense. I am just saying they are not that type of player.

Anderson can also run hot and cold, sometimes he is devastating, and other times he can disappear out of the game completely. That's one of the reasons for our inconsistency last season. This sort of inconsistency can do weird things with the stats. I doubt if Pellegrini chooses his team on stats alone.
Not gonna call it a problem..but Anderson tries the killer ball a lot...if and when it works
someone is clear on goal...when it don't,it rebounds off a foot/shin and goes 50/50,cos so
tight in and around 18 yard box,and trying to tread a ball thru is tough,but its how City score
most of theirs,so you must always be looking for it....now we have Lanza back firing and
Fornals...along with Haller and Ajeti seems like he maybe fits in to it we're gonna see a lot of it..

But Outside of Nobes ...Anderson is our hardest worker I reckon..
But your right don't want players using up energy tracking back constantly,best to close
down ,win the ball back higher up the pitch..

hd1

Post by hd1 »

downunda wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:38 am Sometimes its best to watch games rather than go by stats alone. losing the ball for a split second and then getting it back can count as a tackle. It certainly doesn't mean he tracks back to help the defense. Not that I want Anderson and Lanzini to spend most of the match back in defense. I am just saying they are not that type of player.

Anderson can also run hot and cold, sometimes he is devastating, and other times he can disappear out of the game completely. That's one of the reasons for our inconsistency last season. This sort of inconsistency can do weird things with the stats. I doubt if Pellegrini chooses his team on stats alone.
Funnily enough, I do go to games a see what he does. Initially at the start of the season he was quite lazy, by the end he tracked back and defended well. When he out tackles our own full backs it tells a story

Post by 21212 »

hd1 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:25 am
downunda wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:38 am Sometimes its best to watch games rather than go by stats alone. losing the ball for a split second and then getting it back can count as a tackle. It certainly doesn't mean he tracks back to help the defense. Not that I want Anderson and Lanzini to spend most of the match back in defense. I am just saying they are not that type of player.

Funnily enough, I do go to games a see what he does. Initially at the start of the season he was quite lazy, by the end he tracked back and defended well. When he out tackles our own full backs it tells a story
Out tackles the fullbacks. :lol: :lol: following a football match by misleading stats :lol: :lol:

Anderson is a lazy, entitled player who people will want gone soon.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

Only 2 hours to the " Alamo" countdown.
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

IronsForever wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 am Only 2 hours to the " Alamo" countdown.
I think the Sudetenland put up more of a fight :lol:

The Alamo I’d be delighted with :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

downunda

Post by downunda »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

downunda wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:05 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Anderson will jump from any 50/50 tackles. That isn,t a bad thing because his chances of not picking up injuries increase.
Reminds me of a little ballerina at times, tip toeing around. I really like the guy because he can spring into action from anywhere on the pitch.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

Antonio in for Fornals???? I would have thought that extra midfielder would be crucial against City. Now we only have Rice, Jack and Lanzini around the center. Pellegrini sure is going for it!!!!!!!!!!!