Do we have too many technicians?

Chat about anything football related here!
Mancunian Hammer

Do we have too many technicians?

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

In the wake of the 5-0 defeat at city (which I can expect a whole load of grief for tomorrow after telling everyone we would turn them over) we will all be hoping that it’s just because we were against one of the best sides in the premier league. We are all excited about having some technically gifted players in the midfield, Fornals, Wilshere, Lanzini, Anderson, all of whom are capable of getting the ball on the deck and playing nice football. I am just slightly concerned that may mean we will be a little unbalanced. We also lack height, particularly if Antonio is not in like the second half yesterday. Some sides will try and keep the ball in the air recognising their technical inferiority. When our midfielders click we will no doubt see some lovely one touch pass and move football and some team goals from our midfield this season but will they be up for a battle on a wet windy day at turf moor? Please feel free to reply and let me know my fears are misplace and that we are not too attacking and that yesterday was just a bad start and that a sixth place finish and an FA cup victory is on the cards.

Newmarket

Re: Do we have too many technicians?

Post by Newmarket »

Mancunian Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:01 pm In the wake of the 5-0 defeat at city (which I can expect a whole load of grief for tomorrow after telling everyone we would turn them over) we will all be hoping that it’s just because we were against one of the best sides in the premier league. We are all excited about having some technically gifted players in the midfield, Fornals, Wilshere, Lanzini, Anderson, all of whom are capable of getting the ball on the deck and playing nice football. I am just slightly concerned that may mean we will be a little unbalanced. We also lack height, particularly if Antonio is not in like the second half yesterday. Some sides will try and keep the ball in the air recognising their technical inferiority. When our midfielders click we will no doubt see some lovely one touch pass and move football and some team goals from our midfield this season but will they be up for a battle on a wet windy day at turf moor? Please feel free to reply and let me know my fears are misplace and that we are not too attacking and that yesterday was just a bad start and that a sixth place finish and an FA cup victory is on the cards.
Have you READ the match thread ?

Or , for that matter , the transfer window thread ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Manc. Every man and his dog have been saying we need a defending midfielder.

Parker left seven years ago, I think.. We tried and discarded a few...Diame,Kayouti,Obiang.

Nothing since.

However we do have Rice, who is an excellent DM, and providing Noble &/or Wilshire can supplement him we'll be alright.

But we do need an improvement on them or at least cover.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

Mancunian Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:01 pm In the wake of the 5-0 defeat at city (which I can expect a whole load of grief for tomorrow after telling everyone we would turn them over) we will all be hoping that it’s just because we were against one of the best sides in the premier league. We are all excited about having some technically gifted players in the midfield, Fornals, Wilshere, Lanzini, Anderson, all of whom are capable of getting the ball on the deck and playing nice football. I am just slightly concerned that may mean we will be a little unbalanced. We also lack height, particularly if Antonio is not in like the second half yesterday. Some sides will try and keep the ball in the air recognising their technical inferiority. When our midfielders click we will no doubt see some lovely one touch pass and move football and some team goals from our midfield this season but will they be up for a battle on a wet windy day at turf moor? Please feel free to reply and let me know my fears are misplace and that we are not too attacking and that yesterday was just a bad start and that a sixth place finish and an FA cup victory is on the cards.
Lets give it 3 game sand then ask a question like this. Man City can make any team look like they need better players lol. They can make any teams midfield look weak.
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm not sure we need a DCM..
What we do need imo is a bastard, a big, strong, tall, athletic fucker who can run forever, get his foot in and be an absolute cunt, a destroyer, breaking up play and having energy to get up and down the field.

We also need new full backs both sides imo, although I have high hopes for Johnson.

Chicken Runner

Post by Chicken Runner »

Phil wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 pm I'm not sure we need a DCM..
What we do need imo is a bastard, a big, strong, tall, athletic fucker who can run forever, get his foot in and be an absolute cunt, a destroyer, breaking up play and having energy to get up and down the field.

We also need new full backs both sides imo, although I have high hopes for Johnson.
I agree whole heartedly my good man with your eloquent summary of the kind of character that we need. I didn't like the way we were getting pushed around yesterday. The ref wasn't interested in carding anyone in the first half. Ironically, the softest player on the pitch Anderson was one of the first to be carded after Wilshere had taken a good kicking.
Can't have that especially at home. No....We need dare I say....a player in the style of John Terry he had those characteristics in spades and would control that area of the pitch. But what do I know :lol:
It was a loss of physicality when Antonio went off and was very noticeable I thought.

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

Agreed and here is the ideal signing to fill that gap!

Ladies and gentlemen ROLANDO MANDRAGORA

palerider

Post by palerider »

I'm not getting carried away as it was against probably the best side in Europe but if we get bullied at Brighton the knives will be out for Pellegrini.

grandad

Post by grandad »

Myself and I think it was young Newmarket said more or less the same thing our midfield is so lightweight so many tippy tappy players a monster is needed if we will do anything this season. Yes city a million miles better than us but if they had need 8 goals they would of got them.

Fear not though he is on his way back !!!!!! ( he will be so pleased after yesterday’s result 🤣 )
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

garnett

Post by garnett »

Morning,
12 months on, new players in, long term injured returning, deadwood squad players shown the door and we are still in the same position as 12 months ago.
Our manager has given himself an enormous headache with an unbalanced midfield and his persistence of playing the same slow laborious predictable tactics of 12 months ago.
Playing Man City has done him the best favour he could have hoped for, watching first hand how to attack with speed and flair, but more importantly how not to give the ball away, which cost us 2 goals Saturday.

To answer the question, you cannot have too many technical players, our problem is our`s give the fucking football away, the "monster" some are calling for, Declan got stuck in several times but was inevitably overrun, maybe its a learning curve for him to become more cynical.