West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Post by JayK »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:00 pm Fucking ridiculous putting Noble on just to take a pen, the pressure on him is just stupefying. That's the most stupid decision I've seen any manager make anywhere for a long, long time.
Southgate - Euros final this year. Proved it don’t work
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK »

Missed the game today so no opinion on it. Just seen the penalty, very poor. Perfect height for the keeper
COYI!!!

dorsetdano

Post by dorsetdano »

JayK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:45 am Missed the game today so no opinion on it. Just seen the penalty, very poor. Perfect height for the keeper
Not only perfect height, but it was placed rather than smacked (as in the style of Hurst, Tonka, Dicksie)!!!!!!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:28 pm
palerider wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm The last 3 penalties we've been awarded have been spunked. By 3 different players.

The Jock twat needs to identify a player and get him practicing, be it Cresswell or whoever. We've relied on Nobes for too long.
Four of the last 5.....and we all know that practicing penalties makes little difference. They all practice them in training anyway as did all the England players that were slagged off for missing in the Euros. Players miss, it happens.
Impossible to replicate the pressure of taking one that matters in a real game I agree. However I think it was a poor decision because in every sport I can think of players warm up by hitting or kicking balls before the real thing starts. A golfer wouldn't walk to the first tee without having played a few practice drives, tennis players warm up before the real thing starts. Noble went on completely cold without the opportunity of even the customary warm up..
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

Noble coming on for one kick reminds me of an old joke.

A couple are awaiting the birth of their child. It's a difficult birth but eventually a doctor comes to the waiting room to tell the man that the wife is resting but he can see the child.

What he sees is just an ear.

I've never seen anything like it says the doctor but it's alive.

Well, says the man, plucking up courage, it's mine and I'll stand up for it. 'Hello.....coochie coochie coo.

I'm sorry says the doctor, it's deaf.

JayK

Post by JayK »

dorsetdano wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:24 am
JayK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:45 am Missed the game today so no opinion on it. Just seen the penalty, very poor. Perfect height for the keeper
Not only perfect height, but it was placed rather than smacked (as in the style of Hurst, Tonka, Dicksie)!!!!!!!!
Yep. Very poor effort Dano
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 am
h69 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:28 pm

Four of the last 5.....and we all know that practicing penalties makes little difference. They all practice them in training anyway as did all the England players that were slagged off for missing in the Euros. Players miss, it happens.
Impossible to replicate the pressure of taking one that matters in a real game I agree. However I think it was a poor decision because in every sport I can think of players warm up by hitting or kicking balls before the real thing starts. A golfer wouldn't walk to the first tee without having played a few practice drives, tennis players warm up before the real thing starts. Noble went on completely cold without the opportunity of even the customary warm up..
I thought he would miss. It had all the elements. Slow solemn walk on to the pitch,collect the ball from Declan Rice with that arch eyebrow that says "I'm the fucking Daddy" and then the immediate unsmooth action of a person who had been sat on their arse for the past hour.

I would say much more likely to go wrong than be successful. And motivated for the wrong reasons. One man trying to act clever and reward his ego and another man trying to notch another goal without any effort required.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

JayK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 am
BillyDWhizz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:00 pm Fucking ridiculous putting Noble on just to take a pen, the pressure on him is just stupefying. That's the most stupid decision I've seen any manager make anywhere for a long, long time.
Southgate - Euros final this year. Proved it don’t work
Jay I don't see how anyone can compare yesterday to a 19 year old kid in the euro final with the nation's weight on his shoulders to a regular penalty taker with an unbelievable score ratio.
As you said it was a perfect height for De Gea, and 9 out of 10 Nobes would have buried that.
Just wasn't his or our day unfortunately.
You just knew Lingard would score against us.

h69

Post by h69 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 am

I thought he would miss. It had all the elements. Slow solemn walk on to the pitch,collect the ball from Declan Rice with that arch eyebrow that says "I'm the fucking Daddy" and then the immediate unsmooth action of a person who had been sat on their arse for the past hour.

I would say much more likely to go wrong than be successful. And motivated for the wrong reasons. One man trying to act clever and reward his ego and another man trying to notch another goal without any effort required.
Maybe but then we will never know. For all we know he might have hit the same penalty at the same height on the same side had he been on all game. Players miss at the end of the day and everyone is always an expert after the fact. Had Rice taken and missed again then he would have got slagged off for that also.

He made a decision, it didnt work. It happens. You need a bit of luck sometimes.

palerider

Post by palerider »

JayK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am
dorsetdano wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:24 am
Yep. Very poor effort Dano
I used to take the odd pen. 4 out of 4. Although Hackney Marshes stuff. Always went to the keeper's right.

Our manager always said if you open your body up and side foot it the ball will curve towards the keeper if he goes the right way. Which is what Noble did and at a very easy height. Basically, any decent keeper would have saved it.

To be fair to Noble despite his great record and how composed he looked it was asking a great deal of him and so much must have been going on in his head. The only thing he was thinking was make sure it's on target. It was a cunt of a decision to ask him to take it. It should have been Rice.