West Ham Vs Leeds Utd Premier League Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: West Ham Vs Leeds Utd Premier League Official Match Thread

Post by Newmarket »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:44 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:30 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course but the folly of not resting a few for that bloody cup game, knowing we had 2 league games coming up quickly, has come back to bite us on the arse.
It's not hindsight, it's reacting to in game management. In the first half both Diop and Cofal were very below standard. That's simply the evidence of your own eyes. Was either replaced ?

Whereas, Biesla was quite happy (ruthless) to substitute a substitute. Moyes has always been piss poor at game management, which is why I have never rated the bloke. I'm not disputing his coaching credentials but actual management in a live situation he is simply not agile enough. Never has been.
goodpost:)
Bring back Jonathon !

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:30 pm
hd1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:35 pm After a decent run we had a bad day at the office today.

The same players who had been holding things together recently collectively had poor games, but that said Leeds have played 2 games since 18 December compared to our 7, and we played mid-week so is it any wonder their energy levels were substantially higher today?

It will and should even out with the teams around us with their games in hand so hopefully not too much damage done.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course but the folly of not resting a few for that bloody cup game, knowing we had 2 league games coming up quickly, has come back to bite us on the arse.
goodpost:)
Bring back Jonathon !

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Moyes is ok when things are on the up, he can even get away with making odd decisions just because he can. It's when things start going pear shaped he struggles. Yesterday was a good example.

He complains about the fixture congestion, but knowing the schedule decides to stick with the same players. We had Norwich , now there was an opportunity to rotate the players, but didn't. I think many on here was suggesting it before the game.

Sometimes I think Moyes should pay heed to what occurs in other teams. Leeds is a prime example, though vigorous training and high tempo games might be fine,mixed with congestion, fatigue or injuries are just around the corner
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

The points about Moyes not reacting enough, or indeed at all, if things are going pear shaped are good ones but we shouldn't forget he's also got Nolan, Pearce and Impey as part of the coaching set up and presumably they have input into tactical matters and should bear equal responsibility.

Let's face it when managers get the tin tack the coaching team always follow them out of the revolving door because they're seen as part of the problem.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 am The points about Moyes not reacting enough, or indeed at all, if things are going pear shaped are good ones but we shouldn't forget he's also got Nolan, Pearce and Impey as part of the coaching set up and presumably they have input into tactical matters and should bear equal responsibility.

Let's face it when managers get the tin tack the coaching team always follow them out of the revolving door because they're seen as part of the problem.
Impey ? Andy Impey ?

Fuck me how longs that cunt been there ?
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 am The points about Moyes not reacting enough, or indeed at all, if things are going pear shaped are good ones but we shouldn't forget he's also got Nolan, Pearce and Impey as part of the coaching set up and presumably they have input into tactical matters and should bear equal responsibility.

Impey ? Andy Impey ?

Losing the plot mate. I meant Nevin. Fuck knows why I put Impey. Terrible thing Alzheimer's.

Now can you tell me if I've had breakfast ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild »

tassiehammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:49 am Gonna sit down and watch it later. I've gone through the last few pages on here and I don't think I saw the word complacency. Might be a few lads playing who thought it was going to be a walk in the park and are getting too far in front of themselves. Shame but its human nature to most but not the elite. And we aint elite.
dont think it was complacency Tass, it was just one of those games where we weren't at from the start. Leeds out passed us, out ran us and generally did a job of nulifying our normal plays and combinations. No one takes much credit, other than we dont lie down when behind and very nearly stole a draw at the end.

I seem recall not that long ago people saying as long as its an entertaining game they dont care about the result! Different now we are competing at the other end of the table tho. Different pressures trying to keep up with the big boys.

Its stick or twist for the owners now, we have put ourselves in an unbelievable position but without reinforcements i suspect we will fade like last season. 6th would still be a very good season (albeit a chance missed imo).

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:37 am
Newmarket wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 am

Impey ? Andy Impey ?

Losing the plot mate. I meant Nevin. Fuck knows why I put Impey. Terrible thing Alzheimer's.

Now can you tell me if I've had breakfast ?
That suggests to me, that DM is not persuaded or influenced by opinion of his backroom staff. Because it is unlikely that 'they' share his approval, of
using the same small pool of players in team selections.

It would make practical sense to make minor playing staff adjustments when fixture compression dictates. Ben Johnson,Alex Kral and one of the promising centre backs would hardly compromise much and might have dual benefits. Both in terms of their own progressions and in helping the current collective.

Whereas calling for Arthur Masuaku,Andriy Yarmolenko is the type of substitution, that would be seen as as last resorts by most of us.

Which leads to the conclusion, that bringing in two new players this transfer window, is probably not a high priority by the people it should be.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

brookingslovechild wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 am
tassiehammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:49 am Gonna sit down and watch it later. I've gone through the last few pages on here and I don't think I saw the word complacency. Might be a few lads playing who thought it was going to be a walk in the park and are getting too far in front of themselves. Shame but its human nature to most but not the elite. And we aint elite.
dont think it was complacency Tass, it was just one of those games where we weren't at from the start. Leeds out passed us, out ran us and generally did a job of nulifying our normal plays and combinations. No one takes much credit, other than we dont lie down when behind and very nearly stole a draw at the end.

I seem recall not that long ago people saying as long as its an entertaining game they dont care about the result! Different now we are competing at the other end of the table tho. Different pressures trying to keep up with the big boys.

Its stick or twist for the owners now, we have put ourselves in an unbelievable position but without reinforcements i suspect we will fade like last season. 6th would still be a very good season (albeit a chance missed imo).
Gave it a like BLC, agree with most but the complacency is there right at the start as you point out yourself. We get caught a few times now chasing games where if we're serious about where we want to be we shouldn't have to. They have to treat every game the same and be switched on from the first whistle. We shouldn't be trying to nick draws at home against teams in the bottom half anymore, we're supposed to be massive :) :)
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............