Wilko Johnson

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Wilko Johnson

Post by palerider »

The Dr Feelgood guitarist passed away on Monday. Best pub band of all time.

RIP Wilko. Sadly missed.

Milk and alcohol in heaven tonight.

Newmarket

Re: Wilko Johnson

Post by Newmarket »

palerider wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:06 pm

Milk and alcohol in heaven tonight…..
…..down by the Jetty .

RIP Wilko
Bring back Jonathon !

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Never thought about his age, didnt realise he was 75 ! thought maybe somewhere in his 60's
Used to see him (Dr. Feelgood) back in the day regularly at Harrow Tech on a Friday night...one of the best bands ever, precursor to punk...
Always envied his black Tele..

palerider

Post by palerider »

I regularly see the current Feelgood when they're in London, the last time only 2 weeks ago, but none of the orginal members remain.

They've up until now kept the faith by playing lots of the old stuff and the front man, Robert Cain, is pretty good, but they're now slowly introducing their own numbers into the set and even plugging the new album. They were'nt nearly as punchy. Which is what Feelgood were all about.

So I won't be seeing them again. And the timing seems quite poignant.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

palerider wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 am I regularly see the current Feelgood when they're in London, the last time only 2 weeks ago, but none of the orginal members remain.

They've up until now kept the faith by playing lots of the old stuff and the front man, Robert Cain, is pretty good, but they're now slowly introducing their own numbers into the set and even plugging the new album. They were'nt nearly as punchy. Which is what Feelgood were all about.

I can’t see the point in bands doing this tbh .
I understand they don’t want to end up a mere tribute band but that is pretty much how they end up .

Unless of course they are merely trying to make a living off of the backs of good honest talented , and often these days , dead , musicians.

Credence Clearwater Revival ( remember them ?) .
My brother in law went to see them at the O2 last week . Now that’s quite a large gig isn’t it ?
NONE of the original members are in it anymore yet the tour is still sold out .
Ffs what are people like to fall for that ?

As the Bloodhound Gang once sang , Fuck Guns N Roses without Slash …
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:27 am
palerider wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 am I regularly see the current Feelgood when they're in London, the last time only 2 weeks ago, but none of the orginal members remain.

I understand they don’t want to end up a mere tribute band but that is pretty much how they end up .

Unless of course they are merely trying to make a living off of the backs of good honest talented , and often these days , dead , musicians.

My brother in law went to see them at the O2 last week . Now that’s quite a large gig isn’t it ?

True dat. At what point can you genuinely call yourselves the same name rather than be a tribute act ? Some of these tribute bands are amazing. I saw a Doors tribute band about 4 years ago and I could have sworn Jim Morrison had faked his demise.

And I'm unashamedly going to see one of my secret vices in December. Glam rock was so tacky I loved it. Even Gary Glitter (before his transgressions of course). I'm off to the the famous Cheese & Grain in Frome to watch the Sweet.

And a step back has been taken. They're now called Andy Scott's Sweet. He's the final remaining member following Steve Priest's death in 2020. So at least he's been honest.

But looking at the size of him now I hope he makes it through the gig. It'll hopefully be a blockbuster.

JayK

Post by JayK »

The Aussie Pink Floyd are an outstanding tribute act. Def recommend them. Seen them twice now and wouldn’t be against the idea of a 3rd time
COYI!!!

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

I loved Credence Clearwater Revival,one of my favorite Bands of all time.

There is a band called Credence Clearwater Revisited with original members Doug Clifford and Stu Cook in the band.I'm pretty sure that's who your brother see,has they are touring the UK at the moment.I found out too late to get tickets.

RIP Wilko.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

terrya1965 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am

There is a band called Credence Clearwater Revisited with original members Doug Clifford and Stu Cook in the band.I'm pretty sure that's who your brother see,has they are touring the UK at the moment.
Basically CCR minus the Fogartys. Who were basically CCR.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

OZHAMMER wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:25 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am

There is a band called Credence Clearwater Revisited with original members Doug Clifford and Stu Cook in the band.I'm pretty sure that's who your brother see,has they are touring the UK at the moment.
Basically CCR minus the Fogartys. Who were basically CCR.
John Fogarty's voice was distinctive.Not many could sing like him.