West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:15 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:37 pm

I’m sure Steidten would have done his due diligence on Moyes and k ew what he was coming into. If it comes down to a him or me situation the dwarf will have to make a decision,
I’m sure he did, but he must have also been given some assurances about his role what he can/can’t do.

Not much joined up thinking going on as per usual by the dwarf.
Joined up thinking is an alien concept to the dwarf. Ffs he probably struggles with joined up writing.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

FlatCapDave wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:24 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:51 pm Reading all that has been said only leaves me thinking that most are looking at things from different view points whilst skirting on the edges of other scenarios-

Yes Sullivan has liked to have his paws on transfers, and the very first time he lets go Moyes fucks it up. Being the devils advocate here and by no means saying it is true- Isnt it at all possible that bringing in Steidten Sullivan, or other parties, are paving the way for a more up to date way of doing things?( As mentioned by Flat cap Dave) A bit late maybe, but better late than never. Christmas might shine a light on matters more.

I think they would have got rid of Moyes earlier were it not for how we were placed in the CL, a case of not rocking the boat. Chancey yes, but we survived the drop. Now it could be a case of riding it out and keeping an eye on matters.

It does seem like the appearance of Steidten is too much to be coincidence, which seems , to me anyway, that it has been in the works for quite a few months. What the actual plans are we can only presume, but as has been said by others, S and M cant really work together so...............
The thing is, Steidten and Moyes most likely can work together. But, the manager always has to have final say on a player being signed or not.
Manager/Director of football relationship has to work if it’s going to be successful. Any good coach should be able to organise good players into an effective team.

But flexibility in respect of formations and such like is key and I’ve got doubts about whether Moyes is versatile enough to change his way of thinking.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

According to the latest from Gonzo Towers there'll be some activity this week. With Gallagher signing on the dotted line altnough I'm not sure if it's Liam or Noel.

Towie

Post by Towie »

palerider wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:38 am According to the latest from Gonzo Towers there'll be some activity this week. With Gallagher signing on the dotted line altnough I'm not sure if it's Liam or Noel.
More likely Frank Gallagher mate.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Supposedly in for McTominay now , I would take either him or Gallagher as a replacement for Soucek but only at a sensible price as neither are 1st team starters , reckon £25/£30m for McTominay and £35/£40m for Gallagher . And I really hope we don't go in for JWP .
But where's the Rice replacement ? , surely we had one lined up last year being as we knew Rice was off to pastures greener , would have made sense to actually go get one before Rice was actually sold .
Why don't we just spend some proper money and go get a proper player in Teun Koopmeiners for £40m/£50m .
Imagine a midfield three of Koopmeiners - Paqueta and Gallagher Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .

palerider

Post by palerider »

Chelsea have turned down a 40m bid for Gallagher. All clubs know we have the Judas money now so it's to be expected. I don't think he's worth more tbh but if we want to seal most of the deals we're after the dwarf will have to go the extra mile. Ward-Prowse talks have gone well however according to Sky.

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:59 am Manager/Director of football relationship has to work if it’s going to be successful. Any good coach should be able to organise good players into an effective team.

But flexibility in respect of formations and such like is key and I’ve got doubts about whether Moyes is versatile enough to change his way of thinking.
Yeah, but in almost 99% of situations where there's a DoF, he's there to support the manager, not the other way around. It's usually his job to work with the manager, and when the manager identifies the gaps in his squad and the type of player he wants the DoF goes out and gets someone who fits the bill and who the manager wants.

What we're seeing suggested here is an entirely mental scenario where there's a club owner, a DoF, an ex-player who doesn't seem to have a defined role, and the manager, all having a vote on which players to sign. And if the manager gets outvoted it's a case of "tough shit, you're getting this player. Make do with him."

That's a recipe for disaster. There's no point in having a DoF unless he is totally aligned with the current manager, or is part of the process of hiring a new manager that he thinks will work well with him.

As per usual, we've taken the crumb of a good idea and carried it out arse-backwards.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Encouraging news at last..... :shock:

West Ham have made six bids for players and will sign the first three that are accepted claims a David Sullivan confidant.

Anyone thinking West Ham’s approach to the summer transfer window has seemed somewhat scattergun may have just been proved right.

So really.......anyone will do........... ffs we are doomed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JayK

Post by JayK »

FlatCapDave wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:13 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:59 am Manager/Director of football relationship has to work if it’s going to be successful. Any good coach should be able to organise good players into an effective team.

Yeah, but in almost 99% of situations where there's a DoF, he's there to support the manager, not the other way around. It's usually his job to work with the manager, and when the manager identifies the gaps in his squad and the type of player he wants the DoF goes out and gets someone who fits the bill and who the manager wants.

What we're seeing suggested here is an entirely mental scenario where there's a club owner, a DoF, an ex-player who doesn't seem to have a defined role, and the manager, all having a vote on which players to sign. And if the manager gets outvoted it's a case of "tough shit, you're getting this player. Make do with him."

That's a recipe for disaster. There's no point in having a DoF unless he is totally aligned with the current manager, or is part of the process of hiring a new manager that he thinks will work well with him.

As per usual, we've taken the crumb of a good idea and carried it out arse-backwards.
It’s a ridiculous situation to find ourselves in yet again. You either bring in a DoF to compliment and work with the manager or you replace the manager if this DoF is the main man you want. Sullivan has done neither and from I’ve been reading is trying to appease both of them with their own chosen players (or some).

I do believe Moyes targets are the likes of Maguire, ward-prowse and Gallagher, while Steidtmans are Alvarez and Zakaria just to name a few for each. Personally I think Moyes preferred use of the money is not the right option with the system he plays. None are a direct or as close to possible replacement for Rice but are better in place of Soucek. But I don’t see Soucek ever being dropped, especially if he is indeed the new captain which it looks like.
COYI!!!

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave »

JayK wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:21 pm It’s a ridiculous situation to find ourselves in yet again. You either bring in a DoF to compliment and work with the manager or you replace the manager if this DoF is the main man you want. Sullivan has done neither and from I’ve been reading is trying to appease both of them with their own chosen players (or some).
It's absolutely mental. Unless Sully is thinking he'll let Moyes ride out his contract then eventually get rid and bring in a manager who's more in-line with Steidtman.

But why not just get to the end of last season and say "thank you very much, it's time to move on" and end things there? We part on good terms, both parties can go their separate ways, and let Steidtman suggest a few potential appointments?

That's if Sullivan has faith in Steidtman, of course? I'm not 100% sure he does.

It's got the potential for being a complete disaster.
JayK wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:21 pmI do believe Moyes targets are the likes of Maguire, ward-prowse and Gallagher, while Steidtmans are Alvarez and Zakaria just to name a few for each. Personally I think Moyes preferred use of the money is not the right option with the system he plays. None are a direct or as close to possible replacement for Rice but are better in place of Soucek. But I don’t see Soucek ever being dropped, especially if he is indeed the new captain which it looks like.
I don't think Moyes is trying to replace Rice. He can't. We don't have the money or the appeal to bring in a player like-for-like. I can see him tweaking the system a bit and changing things up ever so slightly.

But you're right, those names mentioned are his types of signings. And see to be honest? It's who I'd rather we signed as well. We've went down the route of these foreign names who look good on YouTube highlights videos, then do fuck all when they get here.

If we can get Maguire and have him even close to the Leicester City version, along with Gallagher and Ward-Prowse? I'd be happy enough with that.

Everyone knows what you get with Moyes. Including Sullivan. Either back the guy and let him succeed or fail on his own merit, or pay him off and move on.