Transfer Window

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Transfer Window

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:16 am
Newmarket wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:55 am

I say this only slightly tongue in cheek but , if all 4 midfield options are fit for the Bournemouth game , who do you think will make way for Phillips ?
And I’m convinced he WILL start , aren’t you ?
He has probably been guaranteed starts in his deal, as Lingard did, otherwise there would be no point in him coming to us. If he wants to force his way into the England side for the Euros he needs to be playing regularly. But it will be interesting who will make way for him.
My bet is Coufal.,.. ;)
Wouldn't guaranteeing him starts be a dangerous thing for a club to do? If his performances don't come up to speed how does that work ? Surely makes it harder for him to be left out.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am

He has probably been guaranteed starts in his deal, as Lingard did, otherwise there would be no point in him coming to us. If he wants to force his way into the England side for the Euros he needs to be playing regularly. But it will be interesting who will make way for him.
My bet is Coufal.,.. ;)
Wouldn't guaranteeing him starts be a dangerous thing for a club to do? If his performances don't come up to speed how does that work ? Surely makes it harder for him to be left out.
Like I said the same as Lingard, he started well and then became a bang average team player at the least, but he always started as per his loan agreement

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

andyginbrasil wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:41 am

Like I said the same as Lingard, he started well and then became a bang average team player at the least, but he always started as per his loan agreement
I would hope those sort of deal sweeteners would be something Herr Steidten would want to stamp out. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:55 am
h69 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:19 pm

We all bang on about wanting a bigger higher quality squad. This is what it means. We can different combinations depending on who the oppo is.

He doesn't have to replace anyone permanently. It will be a higher quality bigger pool of players.
I say this only slightly tongue in cheek but , if all 4 midfield options are fit for the Bournemouth game , who do you think will make way for Phillips ?
And I’m convinced he WILL start , aren’t you ?
I dont know if he will, depends on a few things, fitness being one of them but I can see him playing even with Alvarez sometimes so that JWP is pushed further forward into a more attacking role as I think he is suffering from having to play too deep at present.

One thing is for certain.. Alvarez has missed a few ganes for us and we have a huge hole in our MF when he is not there. I tend to agree he has been our best signing in years but we have no-one else who can really play there so this is an excellent signing especially as in a few games, Alvarez has run himself into the ground.

I dont believe he will have 100% guaranteed playing time in his contract but I suspect he will play a fair bit if he is still the same player that played for Leeds which he seems to be when playing for England.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

Agreed Alvarez i signing as is Phillips if he can rekindle his form from Leeds. This is the type of player we need in the squad to push the other players into playing consistently well, any downturn in form there is someone equal to them who can replace them effortlessly.
The problem is we need a manager who will drag someone out of form off early and replace hi, or god forbid drop them, as well as a decent rotation policy that keeps the players on their toes and reduces fatigue, that we are always making excuses about

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

My bet is Coufal.,.. ;)
'wouldn't guaranteeing'......
slipping from your lofty perch there Whiskeybreath son

vodka and pineapple lunchtime semi-session with the missus? ...i know ...i know

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Phillips done dusted and confirmed.

Good signing albeit temporary.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:04 am Phillips done dusted and confirmed.

Good signing albeit temporary.
Better route considering
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

Klopp leaving Liverpool end of season, is he coming here? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Apparently , Real Betis in advanced talks with West Ham United over the signing of Pablo Fornals , who are managed by Manuel Pellegrini – who signed Fornals from Villarreal in 2019 .